Windows 10: Why does Windows 10 parition the hard drive into a C and D drive?

Discus and support Why does Windows 10 parition the hard drive into a C and D drive? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, Relatively new to Windows 10. Why does Windows 10 partition the hard drive into a C and D drive? As purchased, my Windows 10 machine has... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by stuart253, Sep 18, 2016.

1. stuart253 Win User

Why does Windows 10 parition the hard drive into a C and D drive?

Hello,

Relatively new to Windows 10. Why does Windows 10 partition the hard drive into a C and D drive?

As purchased, my Windows 10 machine has split my 2TB drive split into C and D.

The C drive is much smaller than the D drive (At work otherwise I would supply the actual space values).
    I have modified the system to send most of my data to the D drive.

This question is just to satisfy my curiosity.

Thanks in advance.

Stu

:)

stuart253, Sep 18, 2016

2. Windows 10 installation failure - 80070003

it does not format the c drive becoz their is no parition of my hard drive

NITESHKUMAR155, Sep 18, 2016
  3. Windows Detected A Hard Disk Problem Repair - Computer Running Windows 10, Check Disk States "No errors were found".

Every time I boot the computer, a Microsoft Window states Windows Detected A Hard Disk Problem Repair (lists drive C & D). I have backed up all files on computer.

This message appears to be from Windows 7, not the current Windows 10 operating system. Why is Windows 7 popping up a message and not Windows 10?

Check Disk States on C and D states "No errors were found". When I open the hard drive properties, Device status states, " This device is working properly. Why does one message say there is a problem and two other checks state there is not a problem.

Is there a problem with the hard drive? How can I find out?

Martha P.Hartley, Sep 18, 2016
  4. bro67 Win User

It doesn't. If the computer has a Hybrid Platter drive that uses a 36GB SSD for handling buffer for read/write, that would be why you are seeing two drives. Fill out the whole model number of your machine. Your Dell code will tell you on their Support website what it was built with.

bro67, Sep 18, 2016
  5. Bree New Member
    It's not Windows 10 that chose to partition the drive as C: & D: drives. That was a decision made by the PC manufacturer. My (originally Win7, now upgraded to 10) Toshiba laptop came out of the factory with two equal-sized partitions. I've no idea why, perhaps they intended the D: drive to be for user data (or backups?).

Whatever - the only thing Toshiba actually put in the D: drive was their HDDRecovery folder containing the factory reset system image.

6. stuart253 Win User
    Hello bro67

I went to the Dell website and for my machine's configuration, I saw:

SSDR, 256, S3, 2280, SAMSUNG

I am going to assume this mean that I have a SSD.

Thanks

Stu

stuart253, Sep 19, 2016
  7. Kbird Win User
    It may have an SSD AND a HDD ? the SSD is unlikely to be 2TB and looks like it is 256 GB Sata type 2280 above or it maybe a SSHD as Bro suggested

Post a link to the exact model you have ...... then no guessing game.....

KB.

Kbird, Sep 19, 2016
  8. thekelt Win User

I agree with most of the previous comments. If C is much smaller, it is likely 256 GB max as I've never seen anyone put a 1 TB SSD in a for sale machine. I have a 1 TB SSD but I bought it when upgrading my PC a couple of years ago for speed. I partitioned it at C=200 GB, D=200 GB, E=531 GB and I have a 3 TB for data storage.
    I like a clean separation of OS, programs, and data, so C is OS Win10, D is scratch drive at moment as I'd planned a dual OS boot but did that on my backup PC with XP/Win10, and E is programs. Of course its impossible to stop some programs from installing on C but at least I minimize it. I would tend to recommend you partition your large drive so you can have a program drive and a data drive. I've been operating this way going back to DOS 2.2 in 1986 and I've seldom lost any significant data. OS's and programs can always be re-installed, but data collected over years can't.

In Win10 you can look at your drive partitioning and hardware setup by opening Control Panel. Click on Administrative Tools, then System Configuration, then tab Tools in the popup window. Then click Computer Management, then Storage, then Disk Management. That takes a few seconds to gather the data but will come up with a list like Disk 0 (256 GB), Disk 1 (1.7 TB), CD-Rom 0. That will tell you the size of each drive, whether they are physical (0,1) or Logical (C,D) with the size and how much space is used/left. Cheers.

thekelt, Sep 19, 2016
  9. bro67 Win User
    bro67, Sep 19, 2016
  10. bro67 Win User
    Yes you have a Samsung PM851 series M.2 SSD drive. This is the data sheet on it. http://www.samsung.com/semiconductor...851_M2_v12.pdf Product Overview on it. http://www.samsung.com/us/business/o...odOverview.pdf

"Exceptional Performance in an Ultra-Slim Form Factor Designed for use in ultra-slim notebook PCs and desktop computers with a supporting mSATA compatible socket, (or use a SATA to mSATA adapter if your computer accepts standard 2.5" SATA drives, or a MicroSATA to mSATA adapter if your computer accepts 1.8" MicroSATA drives). The Samsung PM851 SSD provides exceptional read, write, and multi-tasking performance. It's built for the real world, with no moving parts to reduce the risk of damage from shock, while using the latest in security technology including AES 256-bit encryption. Additionally, its ultra-efficient design means increased battery life. Features Fast - Enables you to boot up your computer in as little as 10 seconds. Energy Efficient - improves battery life by as much as 50 minutes over a spinning hard drive. Rugged - Solid-state design provides greater shock protection for data. Secure - Worry-free data security with AES 256-bit full-disk encryption. World Class Speed The PM851 in the 512GB capacity is capable of delivering class leading sequential read and write speeds--up to 540 MB/sec and 380 MB/sec respectively--for ultra-fast file transfers. Self-Encrypting Drive (SED) Technology Samsungs PM851 SSD applies 256-bit AES hardware-based data encryption automatically, and you can re-purpose your drive or dispose of your data simply by erasing the encryption key. Samsung 3-Core MDX Controller 4th-generation 3-Core Cortex-R4 Samsung MDX Controller ensures sustained performance under demanding conditions, and accomplishes more under the same power conditions than the previous-generation Samsung MCX controller."

The only question that comes up is that you may have a second drive installed alongside the M.2. Your spec's from when you ordered it will state what hardware was installed. It is available on the Support side of Dell if you put in your ID on the sticker or the Serial number.

bro67, Sep 19, 2016
  11. CountMike New Member
    If you could put a picture of disk management it would be clearer how everything was set up.

CountMike, Sep 19, 2016
  12. bro67 Win User
    Not much to clear up. Most likely they have two M.2 boards in the unit is why they may be showing two drives. M.2 is making it easier for OEM's to not have to deal with shock and drop problems. Along with the fact that Apple set the standard with the Air to have a M.2 drive in the unit.

Now seeing a picture of the boards if they are able to access them wold be well worth knowing how Dell did this.

bro67, Sep 20, 2016
  13. Kbird Win User

XPS 8900 Special Edition High Performance Desktop | Dell Canada

It's not 2x M2 ....... it is using the M2 Drive as a Cache (for the 2TB HDD drive) and C:\ Drive

using Intel's Smart Response Technology ,which uses 19GB-64GB for Caching , the rest is usable for the OS as C:\

I also use an old 60GB SSD for caching my 2TB Raid 0 Array on my X99 system.

Kbird, Sep 20, 2016
  14. bro67 Win User
    I found a picture on ifixit that shows the M.2 installed and the placement of the Wifi card. Dell is copying off of Apple in pretty much making their version of the Macbook Air. The only question is if you can increase the M.2 to a larger size if you are not storing items on a NAS on your network or some other cloud service. This is the link to let you zoom in and see it better. https://d3nevzfk7ii3be.cloudfront.ne...ZNfTeLlh1.huge

bro67, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Why does Windows 10 parition the hard drive into a C and D drive? - Similar Threads - Why does parition

2. Hard drives C and D do not open

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hard drives C and D do not open: Hello. The problem is of the following kind. I open the my computer shortcut, double-click on the C or D drive to open it, but it throws me onto the desktop. If you do it through the right mouse button and open it in a new window, it opens. And inside the disks, folders also...
  3. Hard drives C and D do not open

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Hard drives C and D do not open: Hello. The problem is of the following kind. I open the my computer shortcut, double-click on the C or D drive to open it, but it throws me onto the desktop. If you do it through the right mouse button and open it in a new window, it opens. And inside the disks, folders also...
  4. Hard drives C and D do not open

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. C drive and D drive

C drive and D drive: Hi, I was looking through my files and found my brother's files on my D drive. I asked him to move it to C drive so that it wouldn't appear on my D drive, but when I checked my C drive, he's files were there. I share a laptop with my brother and have our own accounts. Is the...
  6. C drive to D drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    C drive to D drive: So for some reason with this new PC, all of my applications and files were downloaded to my C drive automatically, when I wanted them in the D drive. So i took all of the files in the C drive and copy-pasted them to the D drive, then uninstalled everything from my C drive...
  7. Paritioning and Identifying Hard-Drive

Paritioning and Identifying Hard-Drive: My new ASUS GL703GE Laptop has two hard-drive. C Drive is an SSD and D Drive is a spinning disc drive. I know that the D Drive is formatted because I made a test folder on it and put a text file in that folder. I erased both. What is the best easiest tool for partitioning...
  8. Why does Windows install System Reserved parition into an unallocated drive?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Why does Windows install System Reserved parition into an unallocated drive?: Last night I decided to do a clean install of Windows since the 1909 update came out. My setup is: Samsung SSD (Boot Drive) WD m.2 SSD (Storage) WD HDD (Storage) I wanted to assign letters to the drive after installing Windows so I left both the m.2 and HDD unallocated....
  9. Disk and Drive Paritioning

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Disk and Drive Paritioning: I must first say that I cannot guarantee a quick reply to ay answers I receive owing to disability problems but I WILL reply when I can. I got into difficulties with my Windows10, caused by problems when trying to use my Seagate drive for my file history. I was met with...
  10. Paritioning Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Customization
    Paritioning Hard Drive: So I partitioned my hard drive, but it was only 29gb. Then I realized that wasn't big enough. I wanted to resize it but it was greyed out to extend it. I tried to delete the partition to start over but I'm not sure if was able to let me do that. Do I shrink my hard drive...