Windows 10: Why does Windows 10 Pro File History stop working after Windows Updates?

Discus and support Why does Windows 10 Pro File History stop working after Windows Updates? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; The latest Windows 10 Pro 1803 updates were (KB4467682) Successfully installed on 12/4/2018 (KB4023057) Successfully installed on 12/6/2018... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by thewamp, Dec 9, 2018.

1. thewamp Win User

Why does Windows 10 Pro File History stop working after Windows Updates?

The latest Windows 10 Pro 1803 updates were

(KB4467682) Successfully installed on 12/4/2018
    (KB4023057) Successfully installed on 12/6/2018
    Settings>Backup options states: "Last backup: 12/6/2018 1059 PM"
    If I scroll to the bottom of this page and select "Restore files from a current backup", the Last File History date shown is "Friday, December 7, 2018 1:59 AM | 65 of 65"

Several files were added and revised, in the Documents Folder, since the last update but once again, as has happened so many times in the past, File History stops working.

This time, log files for File History do not show any reason why it has stopped working.

In the past, I found that log files showed that File History failed if it found too long pathnames.

:)

thewamp, Dec 9, 2018
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Dec 9, 2018
  3. AsRock Win User
    Windows Updates failed to instal

I'm not sure how differant XP media center Edition is but you could clear the history \ cache if these folders are there.

Step 1 Register DLL files.

=================

By trying this step, we can check if the update engines are working properly.

1. Close all instances of Internet Explorer.

2. Click Start and Run, type "Regsvr32 atl.dll" (without quotes) in the Open box and click OK.

Note: There is a space between regsvr32 and atl.dll

3. Similarly, one by one, register the files listed below:

Regsvr32 msxml3.dll

Regsvr32 wuapi.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll

Regsvr32 wups2.dll

Regsvr32 wucltui.dll

Regsvr32 wups.dll

Regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Regsvr32 qmgr.dll

Regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll

Regsvr32 jscript.dll

Note: If you encounter errors while registering any of these files then skip that file and continue with the next one.

If the issue persists, let's move on to the steps below to verify Windows Update services and temporary folders.

Step 2 Verify the relevant Windows Update services.

=========================================

1. Click Start->Run, type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in the open box and click OK.

2. Double click the service "Automatic Updates".

3. Click on the Log On tab, please ensure the option "Local System account" is selected and the option "Allow service to interact with desktop" is unchecked.

4. Check if this service has been enabled on the listed Hardware Profile. If not, please click the Enable button to enable it.

5. Click on the tab "General "; make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic" or "Manual". Then please click the button "Stop" under "Service Status" to stop the service.

6. Then please click the button "Start" under "Service Status" to start the service.

7. Please repeat the above steps with the other services:

Background Intelligent Transfer Service

Event Log

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

Note: Event log service is enabled on all of the hardware profiles; this service does not have an option to enable or disable on certain hardware profile.

If it still does not help, let's proceed to step 3.

Step 3 Reload the Update temporary folders.

===================================

One possible cause is that the temporary folder for Windows Update is containing corrupted files. Let's erase all the files there to get the system clean.

1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net stop WuAuServ

2. Click Start, Run, type: %windir% and press Enter.

3. In the opened folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to Sdold.

4. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net start WuAuServ

Please test the Windows Update website and let me know the result. If the issue persists, to clarify the issue and provide more accurate troubleshooting steps, please assist me in collecting the following information.

AsRock, Dec 9, 2018
  4. X800 Win User

Windows 10 update doesn't work

I have tried to find on google an answer to this error (0x80070006) on windows update. But nothing is working for me *Frown Why does Windows 10 Pro File History stop working after Windows Updates? :( .
    I have tried following
    Windows 10 update troubleshooter all ok.
    net stop wuauserv
    net stop bits

Then I deleted the files in C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution
    net start wuauserv
    net start bits

I have scanned integrity of the operating system and no faults found.
    Help.....

X800, Dec 9, 2018
Thema:

1. Why does Windows 10 Pro File History stop working after Windows Updates? - Similar Threads - Why does Pro

2. File History stops working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File History stops working: Greetings,I haven't been able to find any documentation for File History.File History stops working about once a week. If I go back in and click "Back up now", it will resume, but I don't know for how long.Does File History keeps logs in Event Viewer?If not, is there another...
  3. File History stops working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File History stops working: Greetings,I haven't been able to find any documentation for File History.File History stops working about once a week. If I go back in and click "Back up now", it will resume, but I don't know for how long.Does File History keeps logs in Event Viewer?If not, is there another...
  4. File History stops working

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Backup using File History does not work and Backup/Restore stops at 97% - Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Backup using File History does not work and Backup/Restore stops at 97% - Windows 10: Windows backup using File History does not work anymore.Backup using Backup/Restore stops at 97%. When doing Google search of these issues, it seems many people are experiencing the same issues. I have tried many suggestions and they have failed to resolve these issues....
  6. Backup using File History does not work and Backup/Restore stops at 97% - Windows 10

Backup using File History does not work and Backup/Restore stops at 97% - Windows 10: Windows backup using File History does not work anymore.Backup using Backup/Restore stops at 97%. When doing Google search of these issues, it seems many people are experiencing the same issues. I have tried many suggestions and they have failed to resolve these issues....
  7. File History Does Not Work

File History Does Not Work: Hi, For the past few days, File History on my Windows 10 Home 20H2 has stopped working. In Settings, "Back up options" opens after a noticeable delay and displays the size of my back-up as zero bytes with the message' "Your data is not yet backed up". On clicking "Back...
  8. Why does my IrDA Driver stopped working after windows 10 update ?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Why does my IrDA Driver stopped working after windows 10 update ?: Dear all, Can someone explain why a normal functioning device working on WINDOWS10 stops working on WINDOWS 10 after an update ? what went wrong ? and can it be fixed ? [ATTACH] Thank you...
  9. File History Windows 10 does not update new files

File History Windows 10 does not update new files: Hello: I have HP Desktop i7 16GB 3TB HD. I Have updated to Win10 P64Bit 1903 To begin with, the main message on this screen is that File History is off. So it might seem logical that the first thing that you should do is click the Turn On button. However, that is a mistake....
  10. File History Stopped Working...

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    File History Stopped Working...: I've searched this site and Google for the error I get and have found nothing that seems to pertain to this issue exactly. I have been using the file history backup function since installing W10 Home right before the free offer expired and it has been working fine. I was...