Windows 10: Why does Windows 10 take so long to empty the recycle bin

Discus and support Why does Windows 10 take so long to empty the recycle bin in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi, I asked this same question over at superuser, but did not receive much help so I thought I would post it here as well so more experienced users... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Nosx, Feb 7, 2019.

1. Nosx Win User

Why does Windows 10 take so long to empty the recycle bin

Hi,

I asked this same question over at superuser, but did not receive much help so I thought I would post it here as well so more experienced users could take a look at it. With that being said, here is my question.

I just recently upgraded my system and my new motherboard only has drivers for Windows 10 so I had to upgrade my OS at the same time from Window 7 Pro 64bit to Windows 10 Pro 64bit (1809).

While restoring my files to the new system I discovered that the recycle bin in Windows 10 takes an inordinate amount of time to empty compared to Windows 7, which I was able to empty the recycle bin of hundreds of files totaling 2-3 gigs in a matter of seconds (10 max), but with Windows 10 even a much smaller amount of files (less than 200) with a combined size of around 150mb takes anywhere between 15-30 seconds to complete and seems to hang at the start of the process for a few seconds before finally staring to remove the files.

I am not sure if this matters at all but my CPU in the new system is about 3x faster than my one in my old system and I went from DDR3 to DDR4 ram which again is faster so I am sure that's not the bottleneck.

The actual drive that I use in the new system is a M.2 SSD and is the same one my I used in my old system so that should not be a factor either yet I am having this issue and no idea why so I hope someone might be able to shed some light on situation and offer a possible fix.

I have attach a screenshot of a summary of my system specs as well as the properties of the recycle bin in the hope that it will be of some use when helping me with this issue.
    Why does Windows 10 take so long to empty the recycle bin [​IMG]

:)

Nosx, Feb 7, 2019
  2. Jan Del Win User

recycle bin

Hi George,

To prevent your files from being deleted from the Recycle Bin, we suggest increasing the maximum file size your Recycle Bin can keep by following the steps below:

• Right click on the Recycle Bin icon.
    • Under the Settings for selected location, select Custom size.
    • Fill up the box for your allotted maximum file size for your Recycle Bin.
    Let us know if you need further assistance.

Jan Del, Feb 7, 2019
  3. Lost Recycle Bin in Windows 10

Hello,

We highly suggest to follow the steps below:

• Click the Start button , type desktop icons into the search box, and then click Show or hide common icons on the desktop.
    • In the Desktop Icon Settings dialog box, do one of the following: To hide the Recycle Bin, clear the Recycle Bin check box. ...
    • Click OK.

Let us know how it goes.

Trixie Mop, Feb 7, 2019
  4. Why does Windows 10 take so long to empty the recycle bin

recycle bin

Hello Thomas,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I understand your concern to find Recycle bin in Windows 10, please follow the below steps:

• Type Settings in the search box from the desktop and click on
      Settings.
    • Select Personalization and click on Themes
      in the left pane of this window.
    • Click on Desktop icon settings and click on Recycle bin icon.
    • Click Apply and Ok.
    • Now you will be able to see Recycle bin on the desktop.

Hope it helps. Feel free to contact us for further assistance on Windows Operating System, we will be happy to help you.

Deepika Gowda, Feb 7, 2019
Thema:

Why does Windows 10 take so long to empty the recycle bin

1. Why does Windows 10 take so long to empty the recycle bin - Similar Threads - Why does long

2. Emptied recycle bin

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Emptied recycle bin: Hello,I tried speaking to online help but was proptly ignored. My files were all moved to the recycle bin thinking they were still on my hard drive and not just on OneDrive, and then the recycle bin was emptied yesterday. Obviously having seen what happened, and the mistake...
  3. Empty Recycle Bin

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Empty Recycle Bin: I have recently had a new Hard Drive installe. Having re-installed my software and apps I have a list of 42 files in recycle bin that will not delete https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/empty-recycle/6bacd00c-4699-478a-9de7-45cab25e6dd3
  4. recycle bin empty

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    recycle bin empty: I am running win 10 and my recycle bin is always empty https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/recycle-empty/d2651903-ae9d-4ed2-806a-e2a3adb4d751
  5. empty of recycle bin

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    empty of recycle bin: hi everyone I tried to empty my recycle bin , but I couldn't recycle bin icon is off when I try to click it can you help me ��������...
  6. Recycle bin not emptying

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Recycle bin not emptying: Hi I have had my new laptop with windows 10 for 2 weeks. When I go in and empty the recycle bin not all the items are deleted. When I right click on the items and hit delete they still don't delete. Please help. Howelm...
  7. Why does Windows 10 take so long to empty the recycle bin

in Windows 10 Support
    Why does Windows 10 take so long to empty the recycle bin: Hi, I asked this same question over at superuser, but did not receive much help so I thought I would post it here as well so more experienced users could take a look at it. With that being said, here is my question. I just recently upgraded my system and my new motherboard...
  8. Recycle bin will not empty

in Windows 10 Support
    Recycle bin will not empty: I used a file synchronizer to get rid of a bunch of images and the program sent all the small files to the recycle bin. Anyway, there must be a thousand small file in my recycle bin that will not empty. The "empty recycle bin" begins the process by listing all the files, but...
  9. Empty Recycle Bin?

in Windows 10 Support
    Empty Recycle Bin?: Hi, New here . Lots of questions, but for now....How do I empty the recycle bin. I found how to access "Recycle Bin" on desktop but when I click on it a long list comes up and I have to delete each one individually and even that does not remove them. Where is the old reliable...
  10. Windows 10 Home does not empty recycle bin

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Home does not empty recycle bin: I successfully upgraded from Windows 8.1 to 10 last week. For the 1st time since the upgrade, I tried emptying my recycle bin. However, it *appears* to fail, in that the dialog box that pops up shows "Discovered 0 items (0 bytes)" indefinitely. More details shows the useless...