Windows 10: Why does Windows 11 Start/Search default to Edge browser regardless of what browser I have...

Discus and support Why does Windows 11 Start/Search default to Edge browser regardless of what browser I have... in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Why does Windows 11 Start/Search default to Edge browser regardless of what browser I have set as default? I have also tried setting the links to the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Brendan Gooner, Apr 18, 2024.

1. Why does Windows 11 Start/Search default to Edge browser regardless of what browser I have...

Why does Windows 11 Start/Search default to Edge browser regardless of what browser I have set as default? I have also tried setting the links to the alternative browser but still, it opens Edge browser.

:)

Brendan Gooner, Apr 18, 2024

2. Searching in Start menu goes to IE instead of default browser (Edge) in Windows 10.

Hi,

To set Microsoft Edge as the default browser app, please follow the steps below:

• Click on the Start menu>Settings>System>Default apps.
    • Choose Web browser then select Microsoft Edge.
    • Close the windows to save.
    Let us know how it goes.

Melowin Mar, Apr 18, 2024
  3. MS Edge not listed in default browsers

MS Edge has some shortcomings, and I changed my default browser to IE 11 (in Windows 10).

As I've learned some workarounds for some of the Edge shortcomings, I felt I was ready to once again try Edge as my default browser. I went to Settings, System, Default apps, and scrolled to Web browser. Internet Explorer was shown there, of course, I clicked
    it, and the pop-up/drop-down list of available browsers displayed. It showed Internet Explorer, Google Chrome (which is installed), and Search for an app in the Store. Microsoft Edge, which is certainly on my machine and which I use regularly from the icon
    on my taskbar, is not shown as an option in the pop-up/drop-down list.

Why is this, and what must I do to make Edge be my default browser?

(And I swear, if some Microsoft Tech comes here and tells me to go to Settings, System, Default apps, Web browser, and choose Edge from the list, I'm making a nationally publicized walk to Seattle.)

StuckOnWords, Apr 18, 2024
  4. Ann McNew Win User

Why does Windows 11 Start/Search default to Edge browser regardless of what browser I have...

Default Browser Keeps Changing to Edge

Yes, just to confirm again, when I open FireFox before opening any other link/program/app - I get the pop-up to make FireFox my default browser and I check the box and confirm. If I also complete all of Erika's suggestions:

• Choose default apps by file type
    • Choose default apps by protocol
    • Set defaults by app
    Then for THAT session, everything works ok. But when I shutdown and restart, it all reverts to Edge - the default browser and all my selections for default app by file type, default app by protocol and defaults by app..

If I ONLY open FireFox before opening any other link/program/app and make it my default browser, but then click on a link within an Outlook mail - the link will open in Edge.

What confuses me about Erika's sentence: "Set your preferred default browser to skip
    Choose default apps by file type." is the part about 'set your preferred default browser to skip' is this a setting within FireFox after making it my default browser? Because I am changing default apps by file type on the Windows Settings
    page and choosing http and https to be connected to FireFox instead of Edge.

Regardless, any changes that I make are changed back to Edge after a shutdown or restart and I am completely frustrated by having to reset everything each time I start my computer.

Ann McNew, Apr 18, 2024
Thema:

Why does Windows 11 Start/Search default to Edge browser regardless of what browser I have...

1. Why does Windows 11 Start/Search default to Edge browser regardless of what browser I have... - Similar Threads - Why does Start

2. Why does Windows 11 Start/Search default to Edge browser regardless of what browser I have...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why does Windows 11 Start/Search default to Edge browser regardless of what browser I have...: Why does Windows 11 Start/Search default to Edge browser regardless of what browser I have set as default? I have also tried setting the links to the alternative browser but still, it opens Edge browser....
  3. Microsoft Edge becomes the default browser

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft Edge becomes the default browser: Installed Windows 11 February Update today. Now, every time after turning on the computer, the default browser is Microsoft Edge. I put Chrome, but after restarting system, Edge again by default. How to fix it? P.S. The reason may be that before updating, I have deleted the...
  4. Why does Microsoft Edge launch when Chrome is my default browser?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why does Microsoft Edge launch when Chrome is my default browser?: I am using Windows 11 and have Chrome configured to handle all available file types. Microsoft Edge still launches from the lock screen and from other places without my consent. How do you stop this frustrating behavior? Isn't this illegal?...
  5. Why does Microsoft Edge launch when Chrome is my default browser?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why does Microsoft Edge launch when Chrome is my default browser?: I am using Windows 11 and have Chrome configured to handle all available file types. Microsoft Edge still launches from the lock screen and from other places without my consent. How do you stop this frustrating behavior? Isn't this illegal?...
  6. Changing the default browser does not affect the browser used when doing a "search for...

in Cortana
    Changing the default browser does not affect the browser used when doing a "search for...: I have set my default browser to Chrome but that does not change the browser used by the taskbar's search for anything. Can I get that to accept my choice of browser?...
  7. Search defaults to Bing Browser

in Browsers and Email
    Search defaults to Bing Browser: V 1909 OS Build 18363.752 Sorry if this has been answered- here goes from new Win 10 install: I type in the search box and the default browser is Bing, I've tried a lot of the 'solutions' to try and change the default to Chrome. This is what I've done: 1) Changed default...
  8. Search opens Edge despite default browser not being Edge.

in Cortana
    Search opens Edge despite default browser not being Edge.: If I click the Start button on my keyboard and start typing, the start menu is eventually going to show me a "Best Match". If I click the "Best Match" when it's a website, Edge will start, loading Bing results for whatever I've entered as a search term. Three things wrong...
  9. How Can I Change the Default Search Engine in Edge Browser?

in Browsers and Email
    How Can I Change the Default Search Engine in Edge Browser?: I don't like using Bing and I have Norton Security on my computer, so I would like to use the Norton Safe Search instead of Bing on the Windows 10 Edge Browser. Can you please tell me how to do this? Thanks. 76714
  10. Make Chrome the default browser in start-search

in Browsers and Email
    Make Chrome the default browser in start-search: How do I make Google Chrome (rather the Edge) as the default search engine when do a Start - search request? 94202