Windows 10: Why Does Windows automatically show file extensions

Discus and support Why Does Windows automatically show file extensions in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Why Does Windows automatically show file extensions. I uncheck the File Name Extensions in the folder view tab under show/hide. Then for now reason... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Harry (GP SPG RNA FSF 7, Oct 24, 2019.

1. Why Does Windows automatically show file extensions

Why Does Windows automatically show file extensions. I uncheck the File Name Extensions in the folder view tab under show/hide. Then for now reason Windows will re-check File Name Extensions in the folder view tab under show/hide. This is SO ANNOYING.

How do I permanently keep the File Name Extensions unchecked?

Why Does Windows automatically show file extensions 82690140-55dc-4014-a848-483d35fe41a9?upload=true.png

:)

Harry (GP SPG RNA FSF 7, Oct 24, 2019
  2. Riel Alc Win User

Windows 10 .bak file extensions not showing

Hi Tom,

The .bak file is a file extension of the backup files. To delete the unwanted backup files, please follow the steps below:

• Press Windows key. Type backup, then select
      Backup and Restore (Windows 7).
    • Under Back up or restore your files, click Manage space.
    • Under Manage Windows Backup disk space, you will see the
      Backup location
    • Under Data file backup, click View backups.
    • Under Select a back period to delete, choose the backups you want to delete.

Note: You have an option to delete the earlier system image to save a disk space. To do so, check the following steps:

• Go back to the Manage Windows Backup disk space window.
    • Under System image, click Change settings.
    • Under Select how Windows retains older system images, choose from the 2 options.

Feel free to post back should you need further assistance.

Riel Alc, Oct 24, 2019
  3. File extension *.docx

Hi Randy,

To change the file extension when saving a document in Word 2013, you may follow the steps below:

• Click on File; then, select Options from the list.
    • In the Word Options window, choose Save.
    • Under Save files in this format, select *.doc from the list.
    • Hit OK button to confirm and save the changes.

If ever your Word 2013 application is not recognizing the changes you have made, you may restart the application; however, if the issue still persists, we suggest that you repair it. To do this, see this
    link.

We would appreciate it if you could get back to us and provide us your feedback.

Michael Gall, Oct 24, 2019
  4. Why Does Windows automatically show file extensions

Windows 10 .bak file extensions not showing

Trying to repair a broken Windows Update Agent I hit a wall because I need to delete two files with a ". bak" extension. I cannot find these files as Windows 10 does not show this and many other file extensions. Unchecking the "Hide file extensions" box
    does not help. I do not need to open these files, which btw are not even listed in "associate a file type", only delete them. My computer has not been able to install updates for months, and I am getting extremely concerned. Day after day after day I keep
    getting failed updates.

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

Tom (aka Reallyoldguy), Oct 24, 2019
Thema:

Why Does Windows automatically show file extensions

1. Why Does Windows automatically show file extensions - Similar Threads - Why Does automatically

2. Renaming a file WITHOUT!!!! automatically highlighting file extension

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Renaming a file WITHOUT!!!! automatically highlighting file extension: When I use to rename a file, I would do a slow double click and it would highlight the name of the file but not the extension.Like this:filename123.jpgI don't know why this was changed or when, but when now when I go to rename a file and do the slow double click it...
  3. Renaming a file WITHOUT!!!! automatically highlighting file extension

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Renaming a file WITHOUT!!!! automatically highlighting file extension: When I use to rename a file, I would do a slow double click and it would highlight the name of the file but not the extension.Like this:filename123.jpgI don't know why this was changed or when, but when now when I go to rename a file and do the slow double click it...
  4. Renaming a file WITHOUT!!!! automatically highlighting file extension

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Why does Windows change files to an XML extension??

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why does Windows change files to an XML extension??: I had a few hundred personal files on my company laptop which used Windows 10 Enterprise. I had saved them to a Seagate external HDD and viewing and retrieving them from Windows Explorer on the company laptop works fine. However when I connect the external HDD to my personal...
  6. Why does Windows change files to an XML extension??

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why does Windows change files to an XML extension??: I had a few hundred personal files on my company laptop which used Windows 10 Enterprise. I had saved them to a Seagate external HDD and viewing and retrieving them from Windows Explorer on the company laptop works fine. However when I connect the external HDD to my personal...
  7. Random file extension are added automatically after every file.

Random file extension are added automatically after every file.: Please help because I tried to rename thse files resulting in corrupting the file after removing .efji . [ATTACH][ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/random-file-extension-are-added-automatically/67bb612d-dba9-400c-8f78-4d98ecf96b3f
  8. Shortcut file referent does not include file extension

Shortcut file referent does not include file extension: What options or file extension settings and registry entries might result in shortcut files being produced without the file extension included in the shortcut reference? Is a direct edit of the shortcut manually to add the proper extension the only way to fix these...
  9. Why does the Windows Automatically restart?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Why does the Windows Automatically restart?: Just bought a new All-inOne Desktop (HP425Z) and when I am working online, for no apparent reason the computer restarts. Went to Google to lookup resolution and then to Control Panel and unchecked the automatic restart button. Thought that solved the problem. But once...
  10. Explorer shows file extensions suddenly

in Windows 10 Support
    Explorer shows file extensions suddenly: Explorer shows file extensions suddenly, and can not be unchecked. 75368