Windows 10: Why does Windows Defender slow my Excel file saving, even if the xlsm file type is excluded?

Discus and support Why does Windows Defender slow my Excel file saving, even if the xlsm file type is excluded? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I'm experiencing a strange issue with Microsoft Excel (Office 365 MSO 16.0.11126.20234 32B) and Windows Defender running on window 10 Pro (1809 Build... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by MichaelF_452, Jan 21, 2019.

1. Why does Windows Defender slow my Excel file saving, even if the xlsm file type is excluded?

I'm experiencing a strange issue with Microsoft Excel (Office 365 MSO 16.0.11126.20234 32B) and Windows Defender running on window 10 Pro (1809 Build 17763.253 64B) . When I save a macro-enabled Excel (.xlsm) workbook that has been open for a while it takes about 12 seconds to save the file. If I turn off real time protection in Windows Defender then turn it right back on the same file takes 4 seconds to save. It will save quickly like that for a while then eventually take over 12 seconds until I flip the real time protection on and off again. I have cloud-delivered protection and automatic sample submission off in windows defender thinking it would eliminate sending the file anywhere. It is not my vba code as the same issue is seen when I comment out the code and just use the built-in save functionality. The only change I make to correct the issue is turn real time protection off and right back on.

Here is a 1 minute video (watch the immediate window to see the time it takes to save each time): https://www.screencast.com/t/gKOt7LNhsaxc

Also, at the end you can see I have both .xlsm and xlsm files in the windows defender exclusion list so I would expect Windows defender to completely leave these files alone, but that obviously isn't the case.

I have a number of people using this software who are complaining of the long save time causes by this issue. Most don't have adim rights so can't flip the real time protection switch. Please help/fix.

:)

MichaelF_452, Jan 21, 2019
  2. GillBatez Win User

Excluded File Types

I want to exclude .jpg files from custom scans since AFAIK they do not carry malware. It would seem like a simple task, but what is the format of this exclusion list? In the past one usually made a list like: .jpg,.bmp,.gif etc... is it the same for Windows
    Defender in Windows 10? Nowhere can I find that simple bit of information. Go to Defender help and it dumps you here to sift through thousands and thousands of posts. What a system.

Can anyone give me the format of the excluded file type list? It seems Defender doesn't care what you put there. You could type in the lord's prayer for all it cares.

GillBatez, Jan 21, 2019
  3. Excluded File Types

Settings | Windows Defender. Scroll down to
    Add an exclusion | Click on Exclude a file extension and type in the file extension.

Bruce Hagen, Jan 21, 2019
  4. kokakola Win User

Why does Windows Defender slow my Excel file saving, even if the xlsm file type is excluded?

Windows Defender won't list Excluded files, File Locations, etc..etc

Hi all,

I have selected certain file types / folders and locations in Windows Defender on Windows 10 that were added to the exclusions lists...

Previously I could go to Windows Defender and see what files, folders or extensions I had excluded but now they have disappeared....

All I see is the add buttons which work as intended when I want to add a folder etc etc....
    But then they are not listed anywhere so that I can remember what I have excluded or not....

Can some one please help me so that they are visible again, is there a setting in the registry that needs to be fixed?

This is what I should see where, below the red arrows I should see the excluded files/folders including their path etc etc [see image below]

Why does Windows Defender slow my Excel file saving, even if the xlsm file type is excluded? [​IMG]

but I see nothing..

Yet if i go to the registry as indicated below...

File and file location exclusions are stored in the registry key below.

*Arrow HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Exclusions\Paths

File type exclusions are stored in the registry key below.

*Arrow HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Exclusions\Extensions

Processes exclusions are stored in the registry key below.

*Arrow HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Exclusions\Processes

they are all listed there....?

I have to say that windows defender is excluding folders/files and etc etc, that I have selected during its scans, but I cant see the excluded items in the Windows Defender as per image of my Exclusions section below...

Why does Windows Defender slow my Excel file saving, even if the xlsm file type is excluded? [​IMG]

Thanking you in advance for your support and assistance on this issue....

Cheers

kokakola, Jan 21, 2019
Thema:

Why does Windows Defender slow my Excel file saving, even if the xlsm file type is excluded?

1. Why does Windows Defender slow my Excel file saving, even if the xlsm file type is excluded? - Similar Threads - Why does Defender

2. Windows search excluding some file types?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows search excluding some file types?: Ever since the most recent update Windows search is not returning any of my Guitar Pro file types. gp3, gp4, gp5, etc... It had been working fine. Rebuilding the search index doesn't fix it. I checked in advanced options and they are not excluded. Strangely when I first...
  3. Windows search excluding some file types?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows search excluding some file types?: Ever since the most recent update Windows search is not returning any of my Guitar Pro file types. gp3, gp4, gp5, etc... It had been working fine. Rebuilding the search index doesn't fix it. I checked in advanced options and they are not excluded. Strangely when I first...
  4. Windows Defender scanning an excluded file

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Defender scanning an excluded file: Hi Having Windows Defender running on a server 2016.Excluded a folder: s:\database\application\dataVerified in the logfile C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Supportthe exclusion:2021-07-22T00:22:08.983Z [Exclusion] s:\database\application\data ->...
  5. Excel 2016 crashing while trying to save the xlsm file in the network folder

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Excel 2016 crashing while trying to save the xlsm file in the network folder: Hi there. We have an issue with Excel 2016 and xlsm file in the network folder. While we trying to save this file Excel closing. In the Event Viewer we see an application error with the Exception code: 0xc0000005 Tried to reinstall Office, update video driver, add registry...
  6. save and save as file types

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    save and save as file types: I save/download very few websites/documents. I want them to appear in File Explorer in only one place such as quick access, this pc, libraries, pictures, etc. Any EXCEPT OneDrive. Where, how can I do this using Edge or IE browser? I do not save enough to bother with...
  7. Excel Version 1908/Default Save is XLSM???

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Excel Version 1908/Default Save is XLSM???: We think this started in April but for some reason Excel has changed itself to save files as .xlsm instead of the default .xlsx. One of our users caught this last week. We are on the Semi-Annual Enterprise Channel running the May update Version 1908 (Build 11929.20776) 64...
  8. Can't exclude file from windows defender

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't exclude file from windows defender: There is literally no option to exclude a folder. My pc is not activated btw. submitted by /u/Thicccccboio [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/f8hbrm/cant_exclude_file_from_windows_defender/
  9. Windows Defender not adding excluded files and folders.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Defender not adding excluded files and folders.: Hi, Today I tried to exclude files and folders in Windows Defender. Although I managed to select a file nothing was shown in the exclude window. I tried different files and folders on other drives but nothing was actually selected by Defender. Is this a bug? OS:...
  10. Exclude "file type" from search

in Windows 10 Support
    Exclude "file type" from search: I need to find all the files that contain the word "word" in them. When I try to search in File Explorer, I get all the files that are Microsoft Word files. How do I search for matches on only content within the file? I need to find all the files that contain the word...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows defender excel *.xltm