Windows 10: Why does windows hate to display icons correctly?

Discus and support Why does windows hate to display icons correctly? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Warning, this issue is stupid, frustrating, and possibly without a fix. So rant ahead... Basically the icons you see in the start menu, taskbar,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Tuckertcs, Aug 2, 2020.

1. Why does windows hate to display icons correctly?

Warning, this issue is stupid, frustrating, and possibly without a fix. So rant ahead...

Basically the icons you see in the start menu, taskbar, desktop, and windows explorer all just hate to look right. If you don't know, an icon file is a collection of images at different resolutions so that no matter what size the icon is displayed, it will pick the image for the right size. That way it never has to stretch or shrink images, making them look pixelated or blurry.

But windows does not understand this concept in the slightest. On my 1920x1080 monitor with display scale at 100%, all the icons looked fine except the taskbar icons. Despite an icon containing a 24x24 image, it would select the 32x32 image and shrink it to 24x24. Fucking stupid. And even if my .ico file contained ONLY a SINGLE 24x24 image, it would scale it up to 32 then back down to 24 just to make it blurry. WTF?

Now the icons for the most part everywhere else were fine, it was just this one gripe I had.

But now I have a 4K monitor, and have the display scale to 200%. All the icons just have to pick a higher resolution (a resolution which the .ico files support) and problem solved, right? Nope! Now the desktop icons like to pick the 256 image and shrink it to 96 pixels. The file explorer icons like to do the same. If the icon is 32px, it picks the 48 and shrinks it. For all other sizes it picks 256 and shrinks it. The only view size for file explorer that isn't blurry is large icons which use 256 and display as 256. But the taskbar is now fine lol! It picks 48 and keeps it at 48.

How the fuck do I get my icons to display properly!? This may seem like a nit-pick but I assure you it's not. I mean go ahead, check it yourself! Screenshot different menus and then open it in paint or photoshop and zoom in. I even made an icon where each resolution uses a different image, a white square with a 1px outline and text saying the size so I know if it's using the right one or not. The fact that windows created their own method of displaying icons using the .ico format, then fails to even follow it correctly is fucking embarrassing! I would say this is a recent bug or something, but I've seen reddit posts and questions on answers.microsoft.com dating all the way back to 2015. At this point it's not a problem its a fucking FeatureTM. For fuck's sake!

Does anyone know of a way to get the icons to display properly? I'm trying to theme my icons but so far the normally smooth edges look fuzzy and like crap everywhere but the taskbar.

submitted by /u/Tuckertcs
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Tuckertcs, Aug 2, 2020

2. Windows 8 Haters Club. For anyone who hates Windows 8.

Description:
    • For anyone who hates Windows 8. A single post here is all that's needed to become a member.
    • Also for anyone who does not hate Windows 8 but refuses to upgrade because Windows 7 is perfect.
    Requirements:
    • Be human. Male or female will suffice.
    • Hate Windows 8.
    To Join:
    • Make a post.
    Benefits:
    • You will find true love one day.
    • You have have a chance to get rich one day.
    • You will have a chance for your dreams to come true one day.

vawrvawerawe, Aug 2, 2020
  3. Remove Linux Desktop Icons

I am not sure whether this will work (Ubuntu does not have icons like that on the desktop by default), but I suggest opening the trash bin and sweeping the icons into the window showing the trash bin.

Peter1986C, Aug 2, 2020
  4. Why does windows hate to display icons correctly?

Windows vista x64 computer icon always changing

what icons are you referring to?
    In the Windows Explorer list or desktop?

twicksisted, Aug 2, 2020
Thema:

Why does windows hate to display icons correctly?

1. Why does windows hate to display icons correctly? - Similar Threads - Why does hate

2. Application icons does not display correctly

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Application icons does not display correctly: It looks like all of my applications .exe files use the default Windows icon instead of their regular icon. Unfortunately, I don't know what might be causing the problem. I've already contacted several computer services, but none of them were able to fix the issue. I tried...
  3. Application icons does not display correctly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Application icons does not display correctly: It looks like all of my applications .exe files use the default Windows icon instead of their regular icon. Unfortunately, I don't know what might be causing the problem. I've already contacted several computer services, but none of them were able to fix the issue. I tried...
  4. Application icons does not display correctly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Icons Not Displaying Correctly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Icons Not Displaying Correctly: My desktop icons have suddenly become spaced very far apart. They've also developed a huge box around them when highlighted see screenshot & they can't be placed in the lower 1/3 of the desktop. I've tried changing the size, align to grid on & off, rebuilding the icon cache,...
  6. Icons Not Displaying Correctly

Icons Not Displaying Correctly: My desktop icons have suddenly become spaced very far apart. They've also developed a huge box around them when highlighted see screenshot & they can't be placed in the lower 1/3 of the desktop. I've tried changing the size, align to grid on & off, rebuilding the icon cache,...
  7. Icons Not Displaying Correctly

in Windows 10 Customization
  8. Folder icon is not displayed correctly

Folder icon is not displayed correctly: Hi, some of my folder icons arent displaying as they should. I've tried deleting the icon cache but to no avail. In addition, I've tried moving my files in the folder into another new folder, the new folder's icon became defective and the original icon has returned to normal....
  9. Network icon not displayed correctly

Network icon not displayed correctly: The network icon on the taskbar is displayed as a world. In the Wi-Fi connection it does not show the antennas and in the LAN connection it does not show the computer icon. But the most extreme thing is that I have normal internet browsing with my provider in Colombia. But...
  10. Why does my icon not display correctly when I search for it?

Why does my icon not display correctly when I search for it?: Hello, I am having a problem where the icon looks like this: [ATTACH] Even though in Windows Explorer, it looks like this.[ATTACH] Why is this happening? I already deleted the thumbnails and rebuilt the icon cache. Can anyone figure out what is happening?...