Windows 10: Why does Windows install System Reserved parition into an unallocated drive?

Discus and support Why does Windows install System Reserved parition into an unallocated drive? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Last night I decided to do a clean install of Windows since the 1909 update came out. My setup is: Samsung SSD (Boot Drive) WD m.2 SSD (Storage) WD... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/sheepsheepsheepsheep, Nov 13, 2019.

1. Why does Windows install System Reserved parition into an unallocated drive?

Last night I decided to do a clean install of Windows since the 1909 update came out.

My setup is:

• Samsung SSD (Boot Drive)
    • WD m.2 SSD (Storage)
    • WD HDD (Storage)

I wanted to assign letters to the drive after installing Windows so I left both the m.2 and HDD unallocated. I created a partition on the Samsung SSD to install Windows on. After getting into Windows, I went into Disk Partitioner and saw that 500 MB was taken on the m.2 drive as System Reserved for misc Windows 10.

I tried cleaning the partition but unable to since it was part of the OS. I thought I might have made some mistake so I redid the whole process again to verify that I left both drives unallocated.

I also booted back into Windows 10 installation USB and deleted the partition from there but when then I was unable to boot back into Windows 10.

The only way I was able to get past this was disabling both my m.2 drive and HDD in the BIOS so I was left with only my Samsung SSD to install Windows on. Once I got back into Windows, I was able to clean the drive and extend the partition to the full size of my m.2 SSD.

Can anybody explain why this happened? The m.2 drive has never had an OS installed on it and has always been used as a storage drive for my games.

Thank you.

submitted by /u/sheepsheepsheepsheep
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/sheepsheepsheepsheep, Nov 13, 2019

2. System Reserved Partition on Disk 1 not Disk 0

The results were the same as before: Windows is installed in a single 477 GB partition on Disk 0 and the System Reserved is in a 500 MB partition on Drive 1. The rest of Drive 1 is unallocated. This is identical to the configuration I had when I asked the
    question.

The Media Creation Tool used to created the install ISO DVD is v. 10.0.14393 downloaded on 12/13/2016.

I followed your instructions:

• I selected Drive 0 and deleted the existing Windows partition.
    • I clicked New and Apply. Windows then formatted Drive 0 as a single primary partition.
    • The existing System Reserved partition was still on Drive 1.
    • So I deleted the System Reserved partition on Drive 1 and the just created Primary partition on Drive 0
    • I then selected Drive 0 and clicked New and Apply again. Same result a single Primary partition on Drive 0. Drive 1 was left unallocated.
    • Upon completion of the install
      • Windows occupies about 15 GB in the only partition on Drive 0
      • The 500 MB System Reserved partition was placed on Drive 1
      • The rest of Drive 1 is unallocated.

How can I get the System Reserved partition to be placed as the Partition 1 on Drive 0 with Windows installed in Partition 2?

Thanks.

Bill

B_Phillips, Nov 28, 2019
  3. Unallocated Space to C Drive

Thanks

realtravisbrown92, Nov 28, 2019
  4. Ruz San Win User

Why does Windows install System Reserved parition into an unallocated drive?

Unallocated Space to C Drive

Hi Travis,

It appears that a disk partition was created but was never assigned its allocation. Assuming there are no files stored in the unallocated partition, perform these steps to combine it with your C: drive:

• In Disk Management, right-click on (CWhy does Windows install System Reserved parition into an unallocated drive? :) which appears next to the
      Unallocated partition.
    • Select Extend.

Let us know if you're able to combine the spaces after following the steps above.

Regards.

Ruz San, Nov 28, 2019
Thema:

Why does Windows install System Reserved parition into an unallocated drive?

1. Why does Windows install System Reserved parition into an unallocated drive? - Similar Threads - Why does install

2. Why is a there a 50MB "System Reserved" partition on my tertiary drive?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why is a there a 50MB "System Reserved" partition on my tertiary drive?: I have 3 drives. A 250GB boot NVMe SSD, a 1TB SATA SSD, and a 2TB HDD. The way windows manages the drives however is that the HDD is disk 0, 1TB SSD is disk 1, and my boot drive is disk 2. There are two partitions on my boot drive reserved for the system, which is normal for...
  3. Why is a there a 50MB "System Reserved" partition on my tertiary drive?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Why is a there a 50MB "System Reserved" partition on my tertiary drive?: I have 3 drives. A 250GB boot NVMe SSD, a 1TB SATA SSD, and a 2TB HDD. The way windows manages the drives however is that the HDD is disk 0, 1TB SSD is disk 1, and my boot drive is disk 2. There are two partitions on my boot drive reserved for the system, which is normal for...
  4. Why is a there a 50MB "System Reserved" partition on my tertiary drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. System Reserved Drive D

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System Reserved Drive D: I am just wondering what the system reserved drive is. I googled it, and it shouldn't be showing up, let alone have a letter assigned to it. When I open it, its completely empty and it says it is System Reserved D: Will this drive cause any problems and why is it even showing...
  6. System Reserved Drive D

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System Reserved Drive D: I am just wondering what the system reserved drive is. I googled it, and it shouldn't be showing up, let alone have a letter assigned to it. When I open it, its completely empty and it says it is System Reserved D: Will this drive cause any problems and why is it even showing...
  7. Paritioning and Identifying Hard-Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Paritioning and Identifying Hard-Drive: My new ASUS GL703GE Laptop has two hard-drive. C Drive is an SSD and D Drive is a spinning disc drive. I know that the D Drive is formatted because I made a test folder on it and put a text file in that folder. I erased both. What is the best easiest tool for partitioning...
  8. Disk and Drive Paritioning

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Disk and Drive Paritioning: I must first say that I cannot guarantee a quick reply to ay answers I receive owing to disability problems but I WILL reply when I can. I got into difficulties with my Windows10, caused by problems when trying to use my Seagate drive for my file history. I was met with...
  9. Paritioning Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Customization
    Paritioning Hard Drive: So I partitioned my hard drive, but it was only 29gb. Then I realized that wasn't big enough. I wanted to resize it but it was greyed out to extend it. I tried to delete the partition to start over but I'm not sure if was able to let me do that. Do I shrink my hard drive...
  10. Why does Windows 10 parition the hard drive into a C and D drive?

in Windows 10 Support
    Why does Windows 10 parition the hard drive into a C and D drive?: Hello, Relatively new to Windows 10. Why does Windows 10 partition the hard drive into a C and D drive? As purchased, my Windows 10 machine has split my 2TB drive split into C and D. The C drive is much smaller than the D drive (At work otherwise I would supply the...