Windows 10: Why does "Windows Key + C" not start Cortana?

Discus and support Why does "Windows Key + C" not start Cortana? in Cortana to solve the problem; On my wife's Dell PC, typing "Windows key + C" brings up Cortana. On my Dell (XPS 2720), it does nothing. If I just do "Windows Key", I get the... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by MarkTiede, Feb 13, 2019.

1. MarkTiede Win User

Why does "Windows Key + C" not start Cortana?

On my wife's Dell PC, typing "Windows key + C" brings up Cortana. On my Dell (XPS 2720), it does nothing.

If I just do "Windows Key", I get the start menu and I can click in there and then Cortana shows.

:)

MarkTiede, Feb 13, 2019

2. Cortana

Hi,

Thank you for posting your question in the Microsoft Community.

Appreciate your efforts to work on this issue.

This issue can occur if some of the system files are not working as expected.

Suggest you to follow the steps from this article to
    troubleshoot Cortana on the PC

Note: Do not go with the ‘Reset PC’ option for now.

Method 1: Follow these steps to disable Cortana:

1. Sign-in to the PC with your Microsoft account.
    2. In the search box at the bottom, type Disable Cortana.
    3. Once the suggestions appear in the list, click Cortana & Search settings.
    4. From the right section of the Settings pane, move the top button to ‘Off’ to disable Cortana from Windows 10.

Method 2: Follow these steps to check if that helps.

1. Launch Cortana from the search bar on the taskbar.
    2. Then, from the left pane click the settings button.
    3. Under "Cortana" (the first option) and slide the pill switch to the ‘Off’ position.

Method 3: Launch the Settings app and click on Privacy. Navigate to Speech, inking, & typing, and click Stop getting to know me. These steps will disable Cortana.

Hope this helps.

Let us know if you got the help you needed.

Regards,

Srimadhwa B

Microsoft Community-Moderator

Srimadhwa_B, Feb 13, 2019
  3. Start menu,Wifi key, Search key not working

Hello Nikhil,

The issues with accessing the Start menu/ Windows key might have occurred due to corrupted/ missing system files after installing the latest update on your computer.

Provide us with additional information to assist you better with this issue:

• Have you made any changes to the operating system prior to this issue?
    • What is the complete error code/ error message with this issue?

I suggest you to try the troubleshooting steps suggested from the Microsoft helps article like: Check for updates, Restart the computer, run the troubleshooter, create test user account and check if it helps.

Troubleshoot problems opening the Start menu or Cortana

Hope it helps. Get back to us with an updated status of accessing the Start menu, Search bar for further assistance.

Thank you.

Deepika Gowda, Feb 13, 2019
  4. Why does "Windows Key + C" not start Cortana?

Must Click Mic Icon or Type Win + C for Cortana to Hear Me. Why?

• Turn off Windows Speech Recognition by saying "stop listening."

• Start Cortana by selecting the search box on the task bar.

• Select "I agree" to opt in to Cortana.

• Turn Windows Speech Recognition back on by pressing Ctrl +
      Windows logo
      key, or by saying "start listening."
    Regarding Step 1, Cortana said it couldn't comply because that feature hasn't been added yet. Step 2 worked. Step 3 didn't work because no "I agree" appeared. Step 4 didn't work.

So, I used "Talk to Cortana" in Cortana settings, and that worked. I used that procedure before, but it didn't work. Perhaps it worked this time because I bought a new microphone, installed it by typing Audio in the Cortana search field, and selected Recording
    and then Microphone. For the first time since I began with Windows 10 years ago, Cortana responds to "Hey Cortana". OMG!

Maybe the key to a non-responding Cortana is to first use the Audio procedure and then the "Talk to Cortana" procedure from Settings. Maybe my old mic might even work using those two procedures, but I haven't tried it.

I didn't try"Troubleshoot problems with the Start menu or Cortana".

Jersey-Devil, Feb 13, 2019
Thema:

Why does "Windows Key + C" not start Cortana?

1. Why does "Windows Key + C" not start Cortana? - Similar Threads - Why does Key

2. Why does Cortana open when I press any key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why does Cortana open when I press any key: Why does Cortana pop up everytime I press a key , it could be enter shift backspace , e , f , anything , Cortana apparently doesn't even work in the language my computer is in , additionally the option to disable run at log in isn't even there...
  3. Why does Cortana open when I press any key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why does Cortana open when I press any key: Why does Cortana pop up everytime I press a key , it could be enter shift backspace , e , f , anything , Cortana apparently doesn't even work in the language my computer is in , additionally the option to disable run at log in isn't even there...
  4. Why does Cortana respond to TV conversations?

Why does Cortana respond to TV conversations?: For example, I had the TV going, someone said "Thank you" (not preceded with Hey Cortana), Cortana opened up and said "No problem". This happens all the time. Window 10 20H2 177712
  5. Why does Cortana not speak anymore?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Why does Cortana not speak anymore?: I haven’t used it since more than 1 year and now Cortana has no voice submitted by /u/ethreax [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/ht3zxy/why_does_cortana_not_speak_anymore/
  6. why does not cortana respond on hey cortana after the windows update version 2004

in Windows 10 Customization
    why does not cortana respond on hey cortana after the windows update version 2004: I was very excited i dont know why but i was excited about the new windows update version 2004 i have heard many things that cortana has changed they made a photo search option in search bar but when the update came and i started the update it got stuck on getting things...
  7. WIN key + C not working for cortana

WIN key + C not working for cortana: So WIN+C doesnt work on either of my pc's to bring up cortana. I know the windows key itself works, as do all the other win+shortcuts ive tried. Just not cortana. "Hey cortana" works so cortana is sound. Just somehow the key combo isnt working. Any ideas where I can look? I...
  8. why does cortana not respond to my voice

in Cortana
    why does cortana not respond to my voice: cortana does not speaK to me https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-does-cortana-not-respond-to-my-voice/3567bcfc-062a-4deb-a2b9-097d7b8b06d3"
  9. cortana and start

in Cortana
    cortana and start: hi since my last update from windows I am unable to use the start and cortana , has anyone else had this problem ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cortana-and-start/26ec6a2c-5f18-4f65-838c-efd597f926b5"
  10. No Start No Cortana

in Windows 10 Support
    No Start No Cortana: No start & No cortana and a whole lot more missing in Win10 10240 Pro Insider. Program after program is not "connected" or "linked". I have done many "iso" but still the "banner headline" CRITICAL ERROR.... we'll try and fix the next time you sign in. This sorry saga began...