Windows 10: Why does Windows stop copying files just because of one file it cannot copy?

Discus and support Why does Windows stop copying files just because of one file it cannot copy? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Let's suppose I need to copy many files from one location to another. Let's suppose it's 2 TB or more. I start the operation and since it's obviously a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by AlvinChipmunk, May 31, 2020.

1. Why does Windows stop copying files just because of one file it cannot copy?

Let's suppose I need to copy many files from one location to another. Let's suppose it's 2 TB or more. I start the operation and since it's obviously a lengthy one very, very lengthy I let it go and go away from the computer for a time. When I return in 10 hours I suddenly find out that the file copying operation is at 0% because Windows found a file it cannot copy a file is busy, or Windows finds it malicious, or any other reason and is displaying a dialog with a question: "I cannot copy this file, so what do you want me to do? Skip, Retry, Abort." And while Windows is displaying this dialog it's not copying other files. It has 2 TB of files to copy but it stops just because of one file and waits for the user answer. So, it wastes time waiting for this answer. Why can't Windows copy other files while it's waiting for the answer about just one file? Other files are not busy so they can be copied while Windows is waiting for the answer about that file it cannot copy. But no, it stops the whole file copying operation instead.

:)

AlvinChipmunk, May 31, 2020
  2. temp02 Win User

Java.nio.file - Copying files

You can't copy a folder, thats why it generates an exception (you are trying to copy a folder using a copy file function).
    You probably need to list all the files inside that folder and copy one by one

temp02, May 31, 2020
  3. Wozzer Win User
    Java.nio.file - Copying files

Issue was the above, so thanks temp02.

Wozzer, May 31, 2020
  4. Why does Windows stop copying files just because of one file it cannot copy?

Copying files over?

Copied files over using DriveImageXML. It looks as though everything was copied, but when I try to boot from the drive, I cannot. *Frown Why does Windows stop copying files just because of one file it cannot copy? :(

satindemon4u, May 31, 2020
Thema:

Why does Windows stop copying files just because of one file it cannot copy?

1. Why does Windows stop copying files just because of one file it cannot copy? - Similar Threads - Why does stop

2. Cannot copy Quickbooks file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot copy Quickbooks file: Had a computer crash and the only way to access the HD is thru a bootable USB using DOS commands. If I boot up thru a GUI the HD does not appear in the file explorer. That being said, I can recover almost all files using a command prompt except a few Quickbooks files. I keep...
  3. Cannot copy Quickbooks file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot copy Quickbooks file: Had a computer crash and the only way to access the HD is thru a bootable USB using DOS commands. If I boot up thru a GUI the HD does not appear in the file explorer. That being said, I can recover almost all files using a command prompt except a few Quickbooks files. I keep...
  4. Cannot copy Quickbooks file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. copy files to one drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    copy files to one drive: unlike photos and documents,the videos files are not copy automaticaly in one drive. so ,how to do it manually? it was easy with window 10. thanks. i have window 11 pro version 22 h2 os build 22623.891...
  6. copy files to one drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    copy files to one drive: unlike photos and documents,the videos files are not copy automaticaly in one drive. so ,how to do it manually? it was easy with window 10. thanks. i have window 11 pro version 22 h2 os build 22623.891...
  7. copy command in an unattend file to just copy shortcuts to the desktop

in Windows 10 Support
    copy command in an unattend file to just copy shortcuts to the desktop: Hello All, I have created a new image for our laptops that we are deploying out. In this new image I would like to copy two shortcuts to the local administrator's desktop. I have the administrator's account to be set to active under the 4 specialize section of the answer...
  8. Cannot copy file or folder

Cannot copy file or folder: Hey guys, I have an Android phone and a windows pc with 2TB harddrive ,i have to copy files from android to pc but I have encountered an error saying "Error copying File or folder" -> "The requested resource is in use" Help me with this issue guy's and formatting the disk...
  9. Copying files stop

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Copying files stop: When trying to copy my laptop files to a USB hard drive, intermittently it will just stop copying. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/copying-files-stop/b1401cbf-1798-4548-befe-b2805bfdc9d7
  10. copying files

copying files: How do I transfer music files to my linked phone? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/copying-files/883dd539-1427-418a-b163-426df9d620fd"