Windows 10: Why does windows update install upon restart whilst no pending updates

Discus and support Why does windows update install upon restart whilst no pending updates in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Why does windows update install updates upon restarting the computer (windows is configuring your computer) before the login screen appears, whilst... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by desbest, May 4, 2021.

1. desbest Win User

Why does windows update install upon restart whilst no pending updates

Why does windows update install updates upon restarting the computer (windows is configuring your computer) before the login screen appears, whilst there are no pending updates visible (in windows update) to be installed before the computer is restarted? I'm using Windows 20H2

:)

desbest, May 4, 2021
  2. desbest Win User

Why does windows update install updates upon restarting the computer (windows is configuring your computer) before the login screen appears, whilst there are no pending updates visible (in windows update) to be installed before the computer is restarted?

I'm using Windows 20H2

desbest, May 5, 2021
  3. desbest Win User

But nothing was pending on the Windows Update window.

You have misunderstood my question. I know windows installs windows updates before the login screen appears. To explain that has nothing to do with my question.

I'll rephrase my question. Let's put it this way.

If Windows Update says that "I'm up to date", why would windows update install updates upon restart before the login screen appears?

Why does windows update install upon restart whilst no pending updates [​IMG]

This is false. It's not the same thing. With active hours the computer will restart automatically of its own accord (without user input). So if someone has programs or files open, those programs will be closed and if files were currently being edited or pages opened, the current status of that will be lost if not previously saved. To click restart from the start menu someone would assume that the person has already saved their work.

I don't feel the need to run chkdsk at boot time. You don't understand my question.

I'll rephrase my question. Let's put it this way.

If Windows Update says that "I'm up to date", why would windows update install updates upon restart before the login screen appears?

Why does windows update install upon restart whilst no pending updates [​IMG]

desbest, May 5, 2021
  4. jds21 Win User

Windows Updates failed to instal

I just did step one and they have just all installed.... thank you so much.... it was quite frustrating having that update window pop up every 5 minutes and failing to instal every time

Thanks mate

jds21, May 5, 2021
Thema:

1. Why does windows update install upon restart whilst no pending updates - Similar Threads - Why does update

2. windows update stuck in "pending restart"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows update stuck in "pending restart": windows update stuck in "pending restart" -tried restart but still stuck after-tried uninstall the update and install manually https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-update-stuck-in-pending-restart/8f113176-8594-4c64-9fe9-40a9301c45c4
  3. windows update stuck in "pending restart"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    windows update stuck in "pending restart": windows update stuck in "pending restart" -tried restart but still stuck after-tried uninstall the update and install manually https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-update-stuck-in-pending-restart/8f113176-8594-4c64-9fe9-40a9301c45c4
  4. windows update stuck in "pending restart"

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Windows Update: Pending Restart Not Installing Update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Update: Pending Restart Not Installing Update: Windows Update shows "Cumulative Update for Windows 11 Version 22H2 for x64-based Systems KB5028185". Restart Required.This update has been sitting there for several days. The Schedule Restart shows "today", but the update is still waiting to installed after several days. So...
  6. Windows Update: Pending Restart Not Installing Update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Update: Pending Restart Not Installing Update: Windows Update shows "Cumulative Update for Windows 11 Version 22H2 for x64-based Systems KB5028185". Restart Required.This update has been sitting there for several days. The Schedule Restart shows "today", but the update is still waiting to installed after several days. So...
  7. The windows kb5005565 update does not complete install upon restart to update, anyone else...

The windows kb5005565 update does not complete install upon restart to update, anyone else...: I have tried numerous ways to try and fix this and nothing worked, pc does a restart automatically at 7% complete then the update fails https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-windows-kb5005565-update-does-not-complete/6a8d2cce-917e-4837-bddf-5e4290bba9b1
  8. install pending updates

install pending updates: Hello! I am brand new to Windows 10. I know, what took me so long right? The update system is a lot different than what I'm used to, I can't seem to find the "Install" button. There's just "Pause updates for 7 days" "Change active hours" "View update history"...
  9. Windows 10 updates wont install, pending restart.

Windows 10 updates wont install, pending restart.: Hi, When i try to update i get these issues. I wasn't aware of these until i tried to update my gpu drivers and they failed because they require that windows is up to date. [ATTACH] and when i run the troubleshooter i get this [ATTACH] however when i restart my pc i...
  10. Got the 10565 Update but upon restart it does not update ?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Got the 10565 Update but upon restart it does not update ?: Updates are available. th2_release Professional 10565. A restart has been scheduled. Upon restart I am still on 10240 and the update will reappear in Windows Update and tell me to restart again I am on W10 Pro 10240, not activated but figuring the update would help...