Windows 10: Why does Winkey+r get remapped?

Discus and support Why does Winkey+r get remapped? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Winkey+r has been my goto key combo to open the run command box. After clean installing the Nov. update (Version 10.0.18363.592) and using multiple... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/fulltimedigitalnomad, Feb 9, 2020.

1. Why does Winkey+r get remapped?

Winkey+r has been my goto key combo to open the run command box. After clean installing the Nov. update (Version 10.0.18363.592) and using multiple desktops, that key combo will change behavior.

The desktop may move to one of my virtual desktops and open the run command box there on winkey+r.

However, it doesn't always happen. For example, this morning I had two additional desktops with Remote Desktop open in the last desktop. All was good with Winkey+r. Then later this morning, now the keycombo is toggling the destkops and opening over there.

At first, I thought ah it is VirtualBox remapping the fucker. But I haven't opened it today. I've had Visual Studio 2019, Word, Lookout, cmd, notepad++, FireFox and Exploder open.

Any tips on how to retain the winkey+r behavior of opening the run command box on the active desktop?

submitted by /u/fulltimedigitalnomad
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/fulltimedigitalnomad, Feb 9, 2020
  2. Shayan Win User

Remap Winkey and Disable It's Shortcuts

The purpose is for gaming and I want to remap the Winkey to some other key so the Start Menu doesn't pop on when I hit it, and I want to disable Winkey shortcuts like Winkey+e (which opens explorer.exe) while I'm in a game.

This is what I've tried so far:

Remapping doesn't get picked up by the games, Lwin is treated as Lwin but the Start Menu is blocked which is half of what we were aiming for.

But, if I press and hold the Winkey then the e key it opens explorer.exe which is not intended, I wish the p key and e key to have been pressed at this step.

Is there any AHK expert out there that has accomplished this?

I tried blocking the shortcut like this:

But it would only send the p key, it omits the e key.

I also tried using the Send command with Up command like this:

Everything's fixed except the e key does nothing on it's own (pressing it solely does nothing, it only works if LWin is pressed and then e is pressed). Please note that the first issue is also not resolved here which means the LWin key is not remapped to p in the game.

The particular game that I'm testing on these scripts is Minecraft, but I also tested this on CS:GO and the LWin key doesn't get remapped to p, it's still treated as Winkey. This is not the case on Notepad.exe or other non-game programs, LWin:Why does Winkey+r get remapped? :p remaps Winkey to p.

Shayan, Feb 9, 2020
  3. Emil Win User
    WinKey + R not always working in Windows 10

When I press WinKey+R to bring up the run-command, it started not working all the time. I don't recall if it's been there since I've installed Windows 10 or appeared after, but I would like it if I didn't have to install it all over again.

I don't use a wireless keyboard.

Tests I've done:

• WinKey+D (or L, A,
      X, K, M, Q) works fine
      all the time, as does the WinKey itself to open the Start Menu.
    • When I'm in Chrome browser (for example) and I scroll a page, it's
      enough for WinKey+R to be ignored. I have to
      change focus to another window (e.g., to Command Prompt) and only then
      can I press (WinKey+R) twice to open the
      Run dialog. (But it's not consistent when I have to do this – it might
      work first try!)
    • WinKey+X followed by WinKey+R, for example, doesn't yield any result.
    • If I click the taskbar (the one that used to contain the 'Start' button) and press WinKey+R, it works!

I was thinking that it could be due to some program catching the key-combination, but I can't seem to find any (did scans with S&D, AVG, Ad-Aware).

Any ideas what it might be or how I can debug this?

Emil, Feb 9, 2020
  4. Why does Winkey+r get remapped?

Remapping key FROM REGISTRY

Samuel,

Thanks for the challenge! Why does Winkey+r get remapped? :D

Code:
    Open an Administrator PowerShell window by right-clicking on Start or pressing WinKey+X and select
    [b]Windows PowerShell (Admin)[/b]
    Then, copy and paste the following commands into the window. All the lines can be copied &  pasted at once.
    Copy up to the final 'e' of "-Force":
    $Remap = New-Object -TypeName byte[] -ArgumentList 20

$Remap[8] = 2

$Remap[12] = 0x53

$Remap[13] = 0xe0

$Remap[14] = 0x52

$Remap[15] = 0xe0

$key = 'HKLM:\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Keyboard Layout'

New-ItemProperty -Path $key -Name 'ScanCode Map' -Value $Remap -Force
    [url='https://filestore.community.support.microsoft.com/api/images/60bf9436-ad36-4dfc-8a3a-3c3d757e90a5?upload=true']
    [ATTACH=full]66136[/ATTACH]
    [/url]
    Once copied, press <Enter> and the commands will execute:
    [url='https://filestore.community.support.microsoft.com/api/images/f39bc93e-f515-4324-837b-8ea42b725719?upload=true']
    [ATTACH=full]66137[/ATTACH]
    [/url]
    Then close all windows and [i][b]Restart.[/b][/i]
    Tested and worked on my machine.
    Keith

Keith A. Miller, Feb 9, 2020
Thema:

Why does Winkey+r get remapped?

1. Why does Winkey+r get remapped? - Similar Threads - Why does Winkey+r

2. Why does Command L Lock the screen, Why can't I remap it?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why does Command L Lock the screen, Why can't I remap it?: I am an editor, using Adobe premiere, After effects, DaVinci etc. I use a Mac keyboard as they have the best action and I got used to them years ago.I have just been forced to reinstall Windows thanks to the well documented Defaultuser0 problem. but that is not what this is...
  3. Why does Command L Lock the screen, Why can't I remap it?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why does Command L Lock the screen, Why can't I remap it?: I am an editor, using Adobe premiere, After effects, DaVinci etc. I use a Mac keyboard as they have the best action and I got used to them years ago.I have just been forced to reinstall Windows thanks to the well documented Defaultuser0 problem. but that is not what this is...
  4. Something has remapped CTRL-R globally

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Something has remapped CTRL-R globally: How do I find out what process is capturing CTRL-R? I know that "R" works, I know that "CTRL" works, I've run the troubleshooter, reinstalled drivers, and restarted multiple times. Something has decided it wants to capture CTRL-R. How do I find out what? Thank you....
  5. Something has remapped CTRL-R globally

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Something has remapped CTRL-R globally: How do I find out what process is capturing CTRL-R? I know that "R" works, I know that "CTRL" works, I've run the troubleshooter, reinstalled drivers, and restarted multiple times. Something has decided it wants to capture CTRL-R. How do I find out what? Thank you....
  6. winkey

in Windows 10 Support
    winkey: How can I turn on the winkey key without changing myregistry? 164752
  7. Add 'Run as Administrator' to WinKey + R Run window?

in Windows 10 Support
    Add 'Run as Administrator' to WinKey + R Run window?: I know this question has been asked before but there may have been a patch or similar update... Is there a way to add the checkbox that allows you to run a program 'As Administrator' to the WinKey + R Run Dialog Box? It's available if you use 'Run' via the Task Manager, but...
  8. Winkey Not Working

in Windows 10 Customization
    Winkey Not Working: How can I fix it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/winkey-not-working/d6c73ec1-7c07-4ea9-95bc-6cfcfeb3bb9b
  9. WinKey+L key does not work on Build 1803.

in Windows 10 Support
    WinKey+L key does not work on Build 1803.: Hi - Using W10 Pro x64: I noticed when I had to fully restore a system that the WinKey+L key combination does not work. Took a look on Google but no luck. The WinKey is not working with a few other shortcuts as well. Very strange. Any assistance appreciated! TIA *Sleepy...
  10. Change WinKey function

in Windows 10 Customization
    Change WinKey function: In the registry, is it possible to change WinKey+Shift+C to WinKey+C? (Launches Cortana in voice mode.) No, SnapKey is not capable of doing this. 61726