Windows 10: Why doesn't symlink to packages in Windows work?

Discus and support Why doesn't symlink to packages in Windows work? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; My Laptop has 256GB SSD and The rest, HDD; i.e. 2 physically separate disks. The SSD acts as the C drive. As one can see, SSD has practically Low... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by UchchayDugal, Jan 14, 2020.

1. Why doesn't symlink to packages in Windows work?

My Laptop has 256GB SSD and The rest, HDD; i.e. 2 physically separate disks. The SSD acts as the C drive. As one can see, SSD has practically Low space. I added WSL support and installed Kali from Microsoft Store. But then I realised, the WSL files are stored in C drive. As I wanted to utilize my HDD for storing WSL, I simply copied the entire package in C:\Users\<my username>\Appdata\Packages\<PackageName> to D:\WSL\PackageName and then made the C:\...<blablabla>.\<PackageName> a Symlink. But it turns out, it doesn't let me open up my WSL. What have I done wrong?

P.S. The link and its target has been well given thought to and then decided; meaning the link isn't pointing to a wrong directory

:)

UchchayDugal, Jan 14, 2020
  2. BetoLP Win User

Windows doesn`t start. Authomatic repair doesn`t work.

Thanks again!!

I`m sorry I had not noticed that the text on the picture was in spanish. It says that windows has replaced some damaged clusters in "name" file and "directory". Then, at the end "an unspecified error occurred (75736e6a726e6c2e 4f6)".

I`ll do it and I`ll be updating this thread when I have the report.

- - - Updated - - -

I ran SeaTools. These are the results:

Why doesn't symlink to packages in Windows work? [​IMG]

Does it mean my HDD is useless?

BetoLP, Jan 14, 2020
  3. BetoLP Win User
    Windows doesn`t start. Authomatic repair doesn`t work.

Thanks for your answer, ken!
    I deleted all my data. I had have it backed up.

I did a clean installation using the windows media creation tool (usb option).

No, I didn`t. I thought a clean installation would solve the problem.

After posting my previous message, I did it.

Why doesn't symlink to packages in Windows work? [​IMG]

After chkdsk, I close cmd and tried to boot and the laptop just turned it off. This morning I`ve restarted it and automatically windows did a repair. Windows has booted and it seems that the repair tool has removed chrome and acrobat pdf reader (the only two programs I had installed after reinstalling windows).

Now Windows is installing updates and restarting my lapop, I`m kind of frightened. I don`t want it to happen again. Anyhow, I want to know what has brought the issue

I`ve been looking for information about the error code at the end of the picture and I didn`t get anywhere.

BetoLP, Jan 14, 2020
  4. Bushka Win User

Why doesn't symlink to packages in Windows work?

Microphone doesn`t work

My microphone and ear-phone doesn`t work. Please help me, I have windows 7 home basic, my computer reproduces a sound, but devices no.

Bushka, Jan 14, 2020
Thema:

Why doesn't symlink to packages in Windows work?

1. Why doesn't symlink to packages in Windows work? - Similar Threads - Why doesn't symlink

2. creating symlink

in Windows 10 Support
    creating symlink: using Command Prompt, only to be told that I "do not have sufficient privileges" What am I doing wrong, please? 147104
  3. Why doesn't some apps work for Multitasking

in Windows 10 Customization
    Why doesn't some apps work for Multitasking: I put my games as a different desktop and it sometimes don't work such as destiny 2 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-doesnt-some-apps-work-for-multitasking/599a14e1-2b53-4dad-b7d8-48aedc4f9118
  4. Why doesn't Spotlight work correctly?

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Why doesn't Spotlight work correctly?: It's been happening for years. And, once again, my Spotlight picture is not changing. Now, understand this: I AM NON TECHNICAL, MICROSOFT. I can't try all those complicated fixes - and I shouldn't have to. Fix the problem at your end!...
  5. Why doesn't BCDEDIT /export filename work in Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Support
    Why doesn't BCDEDIT /export filename work in Windows 10?: I found several web pages that list this command as a way to back up the BCD Store. But when I tried to run this command on 2 different Win 10 Pro 64 systems, I got an this error message: C:\Windows\system32>bcdedit /export D:\Systems\BCD Backup The store export command is...
  6. Why doesn't windows 10 snap feature work?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Why doesn't windows 10 snap feature work?: It still doesn't work for me. I suspect MS don't fix it because they're too busy dreaming up useless updates. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-doesnt-windows-10-snap-feature-work/1d8892a3-423f-490d-baa7-1d31f8986aa1
  7. Why mpam-fe doesn't work anymore?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Why mpam-fe doesn't work anymore?: I don't understand why the manual update of definitions files for MS security essentials do not work any more since two weeks (the latest definition file that I've been unable to install is of April 22). When I launch mpam-fe executable (all versions since April 22), it...
  8. Why doesn't the search work in Windows 10 Mail?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why doesn't the search work in Windows 10 Mail?: Search doesn't work??? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-doesnt-the-search-work-in-windows-10-mail/bb30b8fa-2f4f-4d2f-a334-13e1e7c5c72f
  9. my wifi doesn't work,why?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    my wifi doesn't work,why?: please, anyone, help me, my wifi doesn't work from 2 months, there is a red sign on it, and when I want to connect to my wifi it says that there are no wifi networks, When I go to the Wi-Fi device I find it has disappeared,I tried running the troubleshooter but it didn't fix...
  10. Symlinks in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Symlinks in Windows 10: Overview Symlinks, or symbolic links, are “virtual” files or folders which reference a physical file or folder located elsewhere, and are an important feature built in to many operating systems, including Linux and Windows. The Windows’ NTFS file system has supported...