Windows 10: Why doesn't symlink to packages in Windows work?

Discus and support Why doesn't symlink to packages in Windows work? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; My Laptop has 256GB SSD and The rest, HDD; i.e. 2 physically separate disks. The SSD acts as the C drive. As one can see, SSD has practically Low... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by UchchayDugal, Jan 14, 2020.

1. Why doesn't symlink to packages in Windows work?

My Laptop has 256GB SSD and The rest, HDD; i.e. 2 physically separate disks. The SSD acts as the C drive. As one can see, SSD has practically Low space. I added WSL support and installed Kali from Microsoft Store. But then I realised, the WSL files are stored in C drive. As I wanted to utilize my HDD for storing WSL, I simply copied the entire package in C:\Users\<my username>\Appdata\Packages\<PackageName> to D:\WSL\PackageName and then made the C:\...<blablabla>.\<PackageName> a Symlink. But it turns out, it doesn't let me open up my WSL. What have I done wrong?

P.S. The link and its target has been well given thought to and then decided; meaning the link isn't pointing to a wrong directory

:)

UchchayDugal, Jan 14, 2020
  2. BetoLP Win User

Windows doesn`t start. Authomatic repair doesn`t work.

Thanks again!!

I`m sorry I had not noticed that the text on the picture was in spanish. It says that windows has replaced some damaged clusters in "name" file and "directory". Then, at the end "an unspecified error occurred (75736e6a726e6c2e 4f6)".

I`ll do it and I`ll be updating this thread when I have the report.

- - - Updated - - -

I ran SeaTools. These are the results:

Why doesn't symlink to packages in Windows work? [​IMG]

Does it mean my HDD is useless?

BetoLP, Jan 14, 2020
  3. BetoLP Win User
    Windows doesn`t start. Authomatic repair doesn`t work.

Thanks for your answer, ken!
    I deleted all my data. I had have it backed up.

I did a clean installation using the windows media creation tool (usb option).

No, I didn`t. I thought a clean installation would solve the problem.

After posting my previous message, I did it.

Why doesn't symlink to packages in Windows work? [​IMG]

After chkdsk, I close cmd and tried to boot and the laptop just turned it off. This morning I`ve restarted it and automatically windows did a repair. Windows has booted and it seems that the repair tool has removed chrome and acrobat pdf reader (the only two programs I had installed after reinstalling windows).

Now Windows is installing updates and restarting my lapop, I`m kind of frightened. I don`t want it to happen again. Anyhow, I want to know what has brought the issue

I`ve been looking for information about the error code at the end of the picture and I didn`t get anywhere.

BetoLP, Jan 14, 2020
  4. Bushka Win User

Why doesn't symlink to packages in Windows work?

Microphone doesn`t work

My microphone and ear-phone doesn`t work. Please help me, I have windows 7 home basic, my computer reproduces a sound, but devices no.

Bushka, Jan 14, 2020
Thema:

Why doesn't symlink to packages in Windows work?

1. Why doesn't symlink to packages in Windows work? - Similar Threads - Why doesn't symlink

2. Why doesn't roblox work? Is it because of Windows?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why doesn't roblox work? Is it because of Windows?: Hello,Basically I've been witnessing issues with roblox crashing after I launch it* this issue has been occurring since beginning of September late August. I don't know what to do in order to fix this. For people that may ask me what version of Windows I use. I use Windows 11...
  3. Why doesn't support.microsoft.com work?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Why doesn't support.microsoft.com work?: I'm not asking for technical support. I'm only discussing Windows 10. So I'm looking the system log in event viewer. I see a warning for "disk" and it says: Log Name: System Source: disk Date: 11/13/2021 1:18:19 PM Event ID: 158 Task Category: None Level: Warning Keywords:...
  4. Why isn't the Enablement Package link working?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Why isn't the Enablement Package link working?: I've been repeatedly to KB5000736 Featured update Windows 10 version 21H1 enablement package and clicked this link repeatedly Download KB5000736 MSU for Windows 10 v2004 and v20H2 64-bit (x64) - 166 KB and I'm getting nothing but LOOP behaviour: back to the latter link again...
  5. Symlinks and OneDrive Questions

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Symlinks and OneDrive Questions: I have a couple of questions--that need to be answered in non-technical-American-English regarding symlinks in Windows 10, but a bit of background first. I know that symlinks can be used to copy data that is in non-standard places to one's online OneDrive account without...
  6. Why does Windows Defender doesn't work?

Why does Windows Defender doesn't work?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/theloneman1996 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/krj7ea/why_does_windows_defender_doesnt_work/
  7. How to make a symlink?

How to make a symlink?: How do I make a symlink? submitted by /u/eliminateAidenPierce [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/j9v5ug/how_to_make_a_symlink/
  8. Why doesn't windows work anymore?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Why doesn't windows work anymore?: Why are you so incapable of writing a version of windows that works? Every time I turn on my computer it's a guessing game of what is going to work and what isn't. You're supposed to be the experts in this field yet every time you come out with an update something goes wrong....
  9. creating symlink

in Windows 10 Support
    creating symlink: using Command Prompt, only to be told that I "do not have sufficient privileges" What am I doing wrong, please? 147104
  10. Symlinks in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Symlinks in Windows 10: Overview Symlinks, or symbolic links, are “virtual” files or folders which reference a physical file or folder located elsewhere, and are an important feature built in to many operating systems, including Linux and Windows. The Windows’ NTFS file system has supported...