Windows 10: Why doesn't the file explorer's search by name work as expected?

Discus and support Why doesn't the file explorer's search by name work as expected? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Why doesn't windows find this file when I do a search with name:complianceThe name search is the most useful feature of windows explorer.What can be... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Dorrelle, Jul 4, 2022.

1. Dorrelle Win User

Why doesn't the file explorer's search by name work as expected?

Why doesn't windows find this file when I do a search with name:complianceThe name search is the most useful feature of windows explorer.What can be done to make it reliable?Thanks very much!

:)

Dorrelle, Jul 4, 2022

2. File Explorer Search Not Working

I am trying to search in File Explorer (Windows Explorer, My Computer) and it will not find anything. I can copy text from a name in the list and paste it in the search box and it still finds nothing. I have looked at the suggestions that have been posted and nothing I find that is relative to this works. Anyone have any suggestions? I am running Win 10 Pro on an I3 coustom desktop computer.

Maestro2711, Jul 4, 2022
  3. BetoLP Win User
    Windows doesn`t start. Authomatic repair doesn`t work.

Thanks again!!

I`m sorry I had not noticed that the text on the picture was in spanish. It says that windows has replaced some damaged clusters in "name" file and "directory". Then, at the end "an unspecified error occurred (75736e6a726e6c2e 4f6)".

I`ll do it and I`ll be updating this thread when I have the report.

- - - Updated - - -

I ran SeaTools. These are the results:

Why doesn't the file explorer's search by name work as expected? [​IMG]

Does it mean my HDD is useless?

BetoLP, Jul 4, 2022
  4. Why doesn't the file explorer's search by name work as expected?

Windows Edge still doesn`t work correctly

Hi Graham,

Thank you for posting your reply.

I suggest you to run the 'Internet Explorer Performance' troubleshooter by following the steps below:

• Type 'Troubleshooting' in the search box and press Enter.
    • Click on View All on the top left pane.
    • Click on Internet Explorer Performance and follow the on screen prompts for troubleshooting.

Hope the information is helpful.

Eeshwar Kumar, Jul 4, 2022
Thema:

Why doesn't the file explorer's search by name work as expected?

1. Why doesn't the file explorer's search by name work as expected? - Similar Threads - Why doesn't file

2. Windows 11 Apps/File Search Function Doesn't Work As Expected

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Apps/File Search Function Doesn't Work As Expected: Hi,The Windows 11 apps search function doesn't work properly when I try to find the app with the app's name keyword. This issue cannot be found on Windows 10, could you please help to advise?Windows Version: Version 21H2 22000.6131. Apps for example Windows Assessment Console...
  3. Windows 11 Apps/File Search Function Doesn't Work As Expected

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 Apps/File Search Function Doesn't Work As Expected: Hi,The Windows 11 apps search function doesn't work properly when I try to find the app with the app's name keyword. This issue cannot be found on Windows 10, could you please help to advise?Windows Version: Version 21H2 22000.6131. Apps for example Windows Assessment Console...
  4. Why doesn't the file explorer's search by name work as expected?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why doesn't the file explorer's search by name work as expected?: Why doesn't windows find this file when I do a search with name:complianceThe name search is the most useful feature of windows explorer.What can be done to make it reliable?Thanks very much!...
  5. Why doesn't the file explorer's search by name work as expected?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why doesn't the file explorer's search by name work as expected?: Why doesn't windows find this file when I do a search with name:complianceThe name search is the most useful feature of windows explorer.What can be done to make it reliable?Thanks very much!...
  6. File Explorer Search not working as expected

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer Search not working as expected: Hi, I have Word & Excel files with multiple dashes in the the filename. For example, ABC-DEF-GHI.xlsx If I search for DEF in File Explorer then nothing appears. Is there a way around this? Replacing either of the dashes by a space works.....but I have a lot of files...
  7. Why doesn't File Explorer search work for searches longer than three letters?

Why doesn't File Explorer search work for searches longer than three letters?: T works, Th works, The works, but They doesn't work i.e. no search results. Replicated across all words. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-doesnt-file-explorer-search-work-for-searches/6cacf00f-01fb-4849-8720-fdfff59c5ec4
  8. searching with file explorer for just file names

searching with file explorer for just file names: Name:XYZ file explorer will list filenames, folder names, shortcuts etc. NO. I just want filenames! How to do i get that? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/searching-with-file-explorer-for-just-file-names/733d9215-8cb9-49fc-ae2d-3559c6e1e642"
  9. Search bar in windows file explorer doesn't work

in Windows 10 Support
    Search bar in windows file explorer doesn't work: The search bar in my files explorer won't actually search anything, just to make it clear it isn't the search bar on the left but the smaller one on the right that won't actually do anything/highlight anything Screenshot - ae72785c768d4df8a79ce4627f494350 - Gyazo I used...
  10. File Explorer Search-"Limit to search on name" not working

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer Search-"Limit to search on name" not working: Hello, The File explorer option is bugged: whatever option one chooses: search names, url, or contents: the result total is that of search "contents". For most searches, this gives 12000 files instead of say 3. Cortana does give the three, but it's not at all a satisfactory...