Windows 10: Why doesn't windows preserve creation dates when cutting and pasting folders to another...

Discus and support Why doesn't windows preserve creation dates when cutting and pasting folders to another... in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I'm moving all my backups to another drive, so I'm using this method to move them. And I noticed that the folders creation date is changing, but... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/A_Random_Lantern, Dec 19, 2020.

1. Why doesn't windows preserve creation dates when cutting and pasting folders to another...

I'm moving all my backups to another drive, so I'm using this method to move them. And I noticed that the folders creation date is changing, but individual files are fine.

submitted by /u/A_Random_Lantern
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/A_Random_Lantern, Dec 19, 2020
  2. Tsw88 Win User

Can I have the creation dates and modified dates preserved on copying?

I want to backup some files, I find that if I just copy and paste, the copied files in the new location has the new creation and/or modification dates. Is it possible to preserve those "dates" as the original one?

Tsw88, Dec 19, 2020
  3. BetoLP Win User
    Windows doesn`t start. Authomatic repair doesn`t work.

Thanks again!!

I`m sorry I had not noticed that the text on the picture was in spanish. It says that windows has replaced some damaged clusters in "name" file and "directory". Then, at the end "an unspecified error occurred (75736e6a726e6c2e 4f6)".

I`ll do it and I`ll be updating this thread when I have the report.

- - - Updated - - -

I ran SeaTools. These are the results:

Why doesn't windows preserve creation dates when cutting and pasting folders to another... [​IMG]

Does it mean my HDD is useless?

BetoLP, Dec 19, 2020
  4. Noor_Azam Win User

Why doesn't windows preserve creation dates when cutting and pasting folders to another...

Cut and Paste Problem

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

• Are you trying to cut and paste a folder from an external device?
    • Do you have any other User accounts on the computer? Did you check the files in other User accounts if any?
    • Was there any interruption during the cut and paste process?
    • If the cut and paste process was interrupted, did you receive any error code or error message?

I suggest you to check the missing files in the Recycle Bin and try recovering the files. You can also try manually searching the files by entering the file name in the search bar.

Please refer this article and run the diagnostic tool to troubleshoot on the issue.

Automatically diagnose and repair Windows file and folder problems

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Noor Azam S

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Noor_Azam, Dec 19, 2020
Thema:

Why doesn't windows preserve creation dates when cutting and pasting folders to another...

1. Why doesn't windows preserve creation dates when cutting and pasting folders to another... - Similar Threads - Why doesn't preserve

2. Windows 11: why doesn't latest MS Paint allow cut-and-paste?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11: why doesn't latest MS Paint allow cut-and-paste?: I have a Windows 11 operating system, and for years, I've been using the MS Paint app, which I've always found to be convenient, easy, and reliable. However, this month Oct. 2023 my MS Paint somehow changed, probably because of some Microsoft updates. I've found this latest...
  3. Windows 11: why doesn't latest MS Paint allow cut-and-paste?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11: why doesn't latest MS Paint allow cut-and-paste?: I have a Windows 11 operating system, and for years, I've been using the MS Paint app, which I've always found to be convenient, easy, and reliable. However, this month Oct. 2023 my MS Paint somehow changed, probably because of some Microsoft updates. I've found this latest...
  4. In windows 11, how to cut and paste photos from one folder to another

in Windows 10 Gaming
    In windows 11, how to cut and paste photos from one folder to another: How do I cut and paste photos from one folder to another? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/in-windows-11-how-to-cut-and-paste-photos-from-one/0a92c770-f816-4e74-ae5f-2d128fb84c34
  5. In windows 11, how to cut and paste photos from one folder to another

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    In windows 11, how to cut and paste photos from one folder to another: How do I cut and paste photos from one folder to another? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/in-windows-11-how-to-cut-and-paste-photos-from-one/0a92c770-f816-4e74-ae5f-2d128fb84c34
  6. Cut and Pasting from one drive to another.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Cut and Pasting from one drive to another.: I was running out of space on my C drive. Would it be harmful for me to cut and paste a high memory folder from program files 86 cause any harmmainly games? I tried to allocate space to the C drive from a SSD but it wouldn't let me....
  7. getting this error when I cut-paste folders

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    getting this error when I cut-paste folders: [ATTACH] Get this error when I cut-paste folders but seems to be ok when I copy-paste folders and cut-paste files. Also, my programs that use the 'documents' folder to launch cannot launch. Help please. submitted by /u/travelbug77 [link] [comments]...
  8. Can I have the creation dates and modified dates preserved on copying?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Can I have the creation dates and modified dates preserved on copying?: I want to backup some files, I find that if I just copy and paste, the copied files in the new location has the new creation and/or modification dates. Is it possible to preserve those "dates" as the original one? 128344
  9. When I copy or cut some files from one folder and try to paste to another opened folder...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    When I copy or cut some files from one folder and try to paste to another opened folder...: When I copy or cut some files from one folder and try to paste to another opened folder window by right clicking by mouse, the right-click menu comes and goes off within a fraction of a second, and I need to right click again to open it!...
  10. Making folders. cut & paste

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Making folders. cut & paste: I have an HP Pavilion and I need to know how to make folders, cut and paste. I'm not very familiar with the function keys. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/making-folders-cut-paste/3abc1d07-bb33-4634-9680-7298dcfb007e