Windows 10: Why don't some of my windows stay on the monitor I last used them on?

Discus and support Why don't some of my windows stay on the monitor I last used them on? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I use two monitors (the laptop monitor + a VGA monitor). I connected a 3rd monitor (HDMI) for a while, then disconnected it as I didn't really use it.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Janet808, Aug 30, 2016.

1. Janet808 Win User

Why don't some of my windows stay on the monitor I last used them on?

I use two monitors (the laptop monitor + a VGA monitor). I connected a 3rd monitor (HDMI) for a while, then disconnected it as I didn't really use it. Since I disconnected it, one of the programs I use always opens on the laptop (main) rather than #2 screen where it is when I shut down. All the other programs I have tried seem to remember where they were when shut down - whether it is monitor 1 or 2, and size etc.

Even the subsidiary windows of the program in question open in their correct locations, it is just the main part of the program that insists on coming up on the main monitor.

Some detail - Win 10, program in question is to do digital communications for amateur radio - called fldigi. I tried reconnecting the 3rd monitor, but the problem is still there, so disconnecting/reconnecting may have just been a coincidence.

Any ideas of how to make the program open on #2 monitor in the location it was when last used? It used to be OK up till I changed the monitor arrangements recently.

Thanks
    JJ

:)

Janet808, Aug 30, 2016
  2. Tman3000 Win User

programs not showing up on screens, possibly on another monitor, but when i check its on all monitors, but still no program!

So what I have is, I used to use just one monitor, and never had another, but then I got a new monitor and I had it to the left of my original monitor and then I decided to put it onto the right side, because it fit my desk better, but now all the programs
    want to open on the left side, but there is no monitor there, and they open, but I cannot move them, and they stay there, to get to them and move them I have to go into settings and change the monitor settings and all, so I can drag it from left to middle,
    and if I want it on the right, then I have to change the setting again and drag to the right.

I am using windows 10, and I love my two monitors, I don't want to keep changing it though, so if someone could give me a answer that is actually helpful and that will be able to help me for ever with this problem, that would greatly be appreciated.

Tman3000, Aug 30, 2016
  3. Why can't I read the body of some emails on my WP7, but the same email can be read on Webmail or Outlook on my PC

Thanks, Just wondering if you know when I am getting my Mango update.I have Samsung Focus v1.3 from At&T, I know they have started delivering. I live in NJ, USA

LarryWeiss, Aug 30, 2016
Thema:

Why don't some of my windows stay on the monitor I last used them on?

1. Why don't some of my windows stay on the monitor I last used them on? - Similar Threads - Why don't stay

2. Why my monitor goes OFF after some standby time ??

in Windows 10 Support
    Why my monitor goes OFF after some standby time ??: Hi, I have Windows 10 Pro, ver. 1709, on a Dell Vostro 3668 desktop. My monitor doesn't remain in stand-by mode (LED blinking) as much as required, but goes OFF both when the PC is idle & ON and when the PC is sleeping. The same monitor used to remain in stand-by mode...
  3. Why my monitor goes OFF after some standby time ??

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Why my monitor goes OFF after some standby time ??: I have Windows 10 Pro, ver. 1709, on a Dell Vostro 3668 desktop. My monitor doesn't remain in stand-by mode (LED blinking) as much as required, but goes OFF both when the PC is idle & ON and when the PC is sleeping. The same monitor used to remain in stand-by mode forever...
  4. I don't have a product key for my windows 10,reason why i can't use my dvd drive for it...

in Windows 10 Customization
    I don't have a product key for my windows 10,reason why i can't use my dvd drive for it...: I don't have a product key for windows 10,reason why I can't use my dvd drive for it says windows 10 need to be activated.what should I do,i only have a windows 7 product key.should I downgrade to window7 from 10?How?...
  5. Windows apps don't work can I disable them?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows apps don't work can I disable them?: None of my windows apps will open. I have posted about this several times before with no help. So now I learned to live without most of those programs. Since Defender doesn't open either, can I disabled it? What about Edge, can that be disabled? 115816
  6. Why don't my tabs stay open? Why do I have to log in to Outlook and Facebook each time?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Why don't my tabs stay open? Why do I have to log in to Outlook and Facebook each time?: I will have two tabs open and when I go back to one it has to come back on taking minutes. Facebook or Microsoft Outlook. Why won't they stay on like they used to before Windows 1803. Also on my Desk top I have to sign in each time I turn them on. I click: Keep my logged...
  7. Says my windows licence will expire.....I don't understand why?!!

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Says my windows licence will expire.....I don't understand why?!!: Hi, so i upgraded to windows 10 from windows 7 home, over a year ago. (full retail windows 7, NOT OEM installed) a few months ago i upgraded my system, new motherboard, so decided to do a clean install of windows 10 - made the bootable USB tool via Microsoft site for...
  8. OPEN Applications of the monitor i start them from (Using the taskbar)

in Windows 10 Support
    OPEN Applications of the monitor i start them from (Using the taskbar): Hi everyone, I'm going crazy to find a solution for this. Example: I use the start menu of the secondary monitor to open an application, that application open on the primary monitor. Is there a way to get that application to open on the monitor I started it from....
  9. Sort photos the way I want them, and make them stay that way

in Windows 10 Support
    Sort photos the way I want them, and make them stay that way: How can I sort my photos and make them stay the way I want them to in a folder. On Windows 7 I downloaded something from the 7 forum that allowed me to sort them in my chosen order and they stayed that way, ONLY on my desktop! How can I do it in Windows 10?????? 70037
  10. Some desktop icons won't stay where I place them.

in Windows 10 Support
    Some desktop icons won't stay where I place them.: This started after I did a refresh installation. While many of the icons remain where they are, some of them refuse to stay put when I move them. They spring to another position. What might be causing this bizarre behaviour? 95380