Windows 10: Why external USB Hard disk is showing in disk manager & device but can't be accessed?

Discus and support Why external USB Hard disk is showing in disk manager & device but can't be accessed? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi Everyone, My laptop is Dell inspiron 7586 and CoreTM i7 processor, with Windows 10 Home. Recently my USB external drives 1GB WD external drive... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Farjana Snigdha, Mar 12, 2020.

1. Why external USB Hard disk is showing in disk manager & device but can't be accessed?

Hi Everyone,

My laptop is Dell inspiron 7586 and CoreTM i7 processor, with Windows 10 Home.

Recently my USB external drives 1GB WD external drive show up as INTERNAL Basic drives and not as REMOVABLE devices in the disk management.

Even the external drive is labeled as basic 931.48 GB Online, Healthy Primary Partition. The hard drive is detectable in Device and printer section. But it can not be accessible.

This is very annoying, since I can't use the USB bootup option... because USB device is not seen by the PC!

I read "everything" I found on the internet, but nothing really worked, so far.

Can anybody help?

Thanks a lot in advance.

:)

Farjana Snigdha, Mar 12, 2020
  2. seejp Win User

external hard drive showing up in device management but not disk management

Hi,

I recently tried to use a brand new Seagate 2TB External HD, but it is not showing up. It initially showed up, but after I tried reformatting it to exFAT32, it disappeared from the disk management list.

I then tried:

• refreshing the disk management list,
    • inserting into a different USB port,
    • re-starting my computer, and
    • uninstalling the device from device manager/letting it refresh,

I still can't see it. There is no yellow error in the USB controller list.

I'm on Windows 10.

Intel i5-3317U @ 1.7GHz

Any suggestions? Thanks!

seejp, Mar 12, 2020
  3. external hard disk recognition

external hard disk is listed in device manager but I cannot access the disk etc

IanMacArthur, Mar 12, 2020
  4. ulupoi Win User

Why external USB Hard disk is showing in disk manager & device but can't be accessed?

external hard drive showing up in device management but not disk management

I had a similar problem. I put an old laptop hard drive into a Rosewill USB hard drive enclosure. It showed up just fine when connected to one laptop. However, when I connected it to a different laptop, it showed up in Device Manager, but not in Disk Management
    or Explorer.

I double-clicked the drive in Device Manager to get into Properties, then went to the Volume tab, then clicked "Populate." This showed the drive to be "Offline."

To make the drive "Online," I did the following:

1. Go to an elevated command prompt: Right-click on start button > Select Command Prompt (Admin). Enter the following commands (in bold).

2. diskpart

The command prompt will change to: DISKPART>

3. list disk

All disks will be listed. Note the number of the disk you want to make to go online.

4. select disk 2

Instead of 2, substitute the number of your disk.

5. online disk

If this command is successfully executed, you will get a message that reads, "DiskPart successfully onlined the selected disk."

It took me a long time to find this solution, so I'm putting it here hoping that it helps the next person.

ulupoi, Mar 12, 2020
Thema:

Why external USB Hard disk is showing in disk manager & device but can't be accessed?

1. Why external USB Hard disk is showing in disk manager & device but can't be accessed? - Similar Threads - Why external USB

2. external usb hard disk not detected

in Windows 10 Gaming
    external usb hard disk not detected: my external hard disk not shown https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-usb-hard-disk-not-detected/a54ed419-5284-4aff-9ac2-0168bc107bf2
  3. external usb hard disk not detected

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    external usb hard disk not detected: my external hard disk not shown https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-usb-hard-disk-not-detected/a54ed419-5284-4aff-9ac2-0168bc107bf2
  4. External Hard disk not Showing up in disk management and diskpart

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External Hard disk not Showing up in disk management and diskpart: Hi, recently I wanted to format my fat32 external hard disk to NTFS. I copied the files and in between the copy was stopped and my laptop was hanged, when I unplugged the external hard disk the hang issue was sorted. When I again inserted my hard disk, it hung again, somehow,...
  5. External Hard disk not Showing up in disk management and diskpart

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External Hard disk not Showing up in disk management and diskpart: Hi, recently I wanted to format my fat32 external hard disk to NTFS. I copied the files and in between the copy was stopped and my laptop was hanged, when I unplugged the external hard disk the hang issue was sorted. When I again inserted my hard disk, it hung again, somehow,...
  6. External Hard disk not Showing up in disk management and diskpart

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. Can't Access Disk Management..

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't Access Disk Management..: Last Time, it was working fine but now, when i was about to shrink a 1TB partition and make a 1TB partition to my 2TB HDD, this one showed up: [ATTACH] and I was like wait ****?? i havent used the whole 2TB so i want to have another partition for my other stuff ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°...
  8. The device is not ready external hard disk

The device is not ready external hard disk: Hello, i just bought a new external hard disk. It's a enclosure hard disk, i'm using Kingston A400 SSD 240gb. But somehow it can be initialized. I tried to initialized a lot of times and it says the device is not ready. I tried uninstall a few times and reboot but still same...
  9. External HD's showing in device manager, and disk manager, can't access files

External HD's showing in device manager, and disk manager, can't access files: Apparently this has been a problem for a long time; why there's no fix is confounding and very disappointing. No, I can't allocate a letter drive to the disks. Right clicking on them in disk management reveals no clickable menu items except delete volume or help. This...
  10. Hard drive shows up in device manager but no in disk management

Hard drive shows up in device manager but no in disk management: I have a few months old Seagate 2tb HDD that just today began to not show up in my drives in file explorer. After screwing with SATA and power cables (to no prevail). It was previously assigned a letter and didn't show any sign of failure, any help?...