Windows 10: Why GPT instead of MBR partitions for boot drive?

Discus and support Why GPT instead of MBR partitions for boot drive? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My boot drive is a 512 GB SSD and it has MBR partitions. I'm currently running Win 7 Pro 64 on an ASUS motherboard system with a UEFI BIOS. I'm... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by x509, May 9, 2016.

1. x509 Win User

Why GPT instead of MBR partitions for boot drive?

My boot drive is a 512 GB SSD and it has MBR partitions. I'm currently running Win 7 Pro 64 on an ASUS motherboard system with a UEFI BIOS.

I'm about to upgrade to Win 10. Is there any benefit to redoing the boot drive with GPT partitions as part of that process?

:)

x509, May 9, 2016
  2. DaveM121 Win User

Both MBR and GPT? Why?

Hi L.Will, technically: you can have both MBR and GPT on the same disc but it is unmanageable and unsupported . . .

Windows by default will use GPT, you can check this by going into BIOS/UEFI and see if Secure boot is enabled. If Secure boot is enabled, then Windows is on the GPT partition . . .

As to why or how you have managed to have MBR and GPT on the same Disk, that is a mystery and in reality should not be possible . . .

DaveM121, May 9, 2016
  3. UEFI Based PC Protective MBR - What is it?

Hi Arush,

MBR

A master boot record (MBR) is a special type of boot sector at the very beginning of partitioned computer mass storage devices like fixed disks or removable drives intended for use with the systems.

The MBR holds the information on how the logical partitions, containing file systems, are organized on that medium. Besides that, the MBR also contains executable code to function as a loader for the installed operating system—usually by passing control
    over to the loader's second stage, or in conjunction with each partition's volume boot record (VBR). This MBR code is usually referred to as a boot loader.

GPT:

GUID Partition Table (GPT) is a standard for the layout of the partition table on a physical hard disk, using globally unique identifiers (GUID). Although it forms a part of the Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI) standard (Unified EFI Forum proposed
    replacement for the PC BIOS), it is also used on some BIOS systems because of the limitations of master boot record (MBR) partition tables, which use 32 bits for storing logical block addresses (LBA) and size information.

MBR-based partition table schemes insert the partitioning information for (usually) four "primary" partitions in the master boot record (MBR) (which on a BIOS system is also the container for code that begins the process of booting the system). In a GPT,
    the first sector of the disk is reserved for a "protective MBR" such that booting a BIOS-based computer from a GPT disk is supported, but the boot loader and O/S must both be GPT-aware. Regardless of the sector size, the GPT header begins on the second logical
    block of the device.

For Reference:

Configure UEFI/GPT-Based Hard Drive Partitions

Hope this information is helpful, let us know if you need further assistance.

Rakesh Narayanaswamy, May 9, 2016
  4. arachnaut Win User

Secure Boot works better with GPT formatting.

arachnaut, May 9, 2016
  5. OldMike65 Win User
    Read the msgs in this thread.....bottom line is GPT IS a better choice.
    GPT versus MBR for W10 boot SSD?

OldMike65, May 9, 2016
  6. x509 Win User
    Old Mike,

Thanks. For me the deal clincher was secure boot that protects against rootkits. Now I'm going to try that utility that allows conversion in place from MBR to GPT.

7. eLPuSHeR Win User
    I am pretty satisfied with MBR on my SSD. I think the "GPT is better" mantra is out of proportion.

eLPuSHeR, May 10, 2016
  8. cereberus Win User

GPT allows more than four primary partitions

You can use drives over 2.2 TB with OS on it if GPT.

GPT supports secure boot.

Easier to repair boot issues with UEFI install.

So no it is not out of proportion!

cereberus, May 10, 2016
  9. OldMike65 Win User
    *Ditto*Thumbs

OldMike65, May 10, 2016
  10. SonicBlue Win User
    Actually I prefer MBR for the dual boot situation, as where if you wish to access the other os is not possible with GPT.
    I believe the above posts refer to TB not GB.

SonicBlue, May 10, 2016
  11. x509 Win User
    Not sure I understand. *Confused Can you explain.*Smile

Thanks.

12. SonicBlue Win User
    MBR limits the maximum addressable storage space of a disk to 2 TerraBytes (232 × 512 bytes). NOT Giga

SonicBlue, May 11, 2016
  13. x509 Win User

SonicBlue,

The part of your earlier post that I did not understand was:

Actually I prefer MBR for the dual boot situation, as where if you wish to access the other os is not possible with GPT.

14. cereberus Win User
    GB - obviously a typo.

To be pedantic, it is 2 TiB (2.2 TB to one decimal place).

cereberus, May 11, 2016
  15. cereberus Win User
    Of course you can dual boot with other OSs in UEFI - it simply depends if other OS is UEFI/secureboot compatible.

e.g. Many linux installs can handle uefi/secure boot.

cereberus, May 11, 2016
Thema:

1. Why GPT instead of MBR partitions for boot drive? - Similar Threads - Why GPT instead

2. dual boot /mbr to gpt

in Windows 10 Gaming
    dual boot /mbr to gpt: I would like to enable dual boot Windows 10 and Linux Mint. Currently Windows 10 only; please guide me step by step how to convert this disk and install Mint along Windows. i.e. Legacy to UEFI, MBR to UEFI etc., unfortunatelly I am not a 20 years old IT genius.... So far my...
  3. dual boot /mbr to gpt

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    dual boot /mbr to gpt: I would like to enable dual boot Windows 10 and Linux Mint. Currently Windows 10 only; please guide me step by step how to convert this disk and install Mint along Windows. i.e. Legacy to UEFI, MBR to UEFI etc., unfortunatelly I am not a 20 years old IT genius.... So far my...
  4. Changing Boot Drive from MBR to GPT

in Windows 10 Support
    Changing Boot Drive from MBR to GPT: After failing the Win11 check due to my boot drive being MBR, i've read so much on changing my drive to GPT (I use UEFI BIOS already). The MBR2GPT tool on Windows fails as it says it can't create an EFI partition. I'm assuming now that I can't change my boot drive from MBR to...
  5. mbr gpt partition help

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    mbr gpt partition help: hello guys I need help, in windows 10 I converted the ssd disk with mbr partition to gpt using the mbr2gpt / convert command from cmd. Everything works perfect and windows works in uefi mode. but it turns out that I want to install on another partition of another hard drive...
  6. Mixing drives with GPT and MBR

in Windows 10 Support
    Mixing drives with GPT and MBR: All the drives in an old computer are MBR drives. Windows 10 is installed on one of these drives. A friend gave me a 2T disk drive which is GPT. I installed the drive and the computer seems to recognize it . Can I leave it as a GPT drive or should I convert it to MBR. This...
  7. mbr and gpt on the same drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    mbr and gpt on the same drive: so a clean install on a crucial mx500 ssd. used uefi from usb stick to install windows so that it would create the gpt partition. all updates installed fine and when i checked the drive using a portable partition manager, i had a system reserved partition, an mbr partition,...
  8. Lost partition drive after conversion of MBR to GPT.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Lost partition drive after conversion of MBR to GPT.: Hi Guys, May I request your kind assistance or help to recover my deleted/lost partition. I have a lot of important files like documents and pictures that I need to recover *Sad. Please help me guys. Please see the screenshot before the converstion happened. Kind...
  9. Partition Wizard MBR to GPT

Partition Wizard MBR to GPT: Hi, Attempting to convert a Win 10 64bit installation from MBR to GPT on a Dell E6410 using PartitionWizardPro v10 on a bootable USB. I have ended up with a system which will not boot. I have not used this software before and feel a bit out of my depth here. Before...
  10. Dual Boot with GPT and MBR Drives?

Dual Boot with GPT and MBR Drives?: Can I have both a GPT and MBR formatted drives on a dual boot system? I would like to retain my Win 7 installation as is with MBR formatted hard drive, and after the Win 8.1 to Win 10 upgrade, do a clean Win 10 install with GPT (UEFI) format. 8859

Users found this page by searching for:

1. is gpt uefi for 512 gb hardive or mbr

2. windows 10 create mbr disk instead gpt why

3. computer booting from mbr not gpt why

4. why did windows installed mbr instead of gpt