Windows 10: why has Defender blocked an update of CCleaner (free)?

Discus and support why has Defender blocked an update of CCleaner (free)? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I have v.5.62 of CCleaner (free). I had a message just now from Piriform that an update was available so I clicked to install it. There was then a... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Taffy087, Oct 15, 2019.

1. Taffy087 Win User

why has Defender blocked an update of CCleaner (free)?

I have v.5.62 of CCleaner (free).

I had a message just now from Piriform that an update was available so I clicked to install it. There was then a message that Microsoft Defender had blocked it. The message was only there for a second or two so I had no time to take a screen print/snip but I had the impression that it didn't give me any options such as "Ignore warning - proceed with Update". I've no idea if this is what normally happens as Defender has never interfered before - the last update was on the 5th October and the update was installed without any problems. This interference has wasted my time, what with having to create this and also asking Piriform to give me access to the update again. Obviously I can't do this until I sort out this Defender problem.

Has something changed with Defender recently? If it has, can I change the settings somewhere? I don't want it interfering with CCleaner updates.

PS Microsoft Store has several Cleaner Apps but I don't want those.

:)

Taffy087, Oct 15, 2019

2. CCleaner

> Is it safe to install ccleaner on my pc?

Depends...

Piriform (the maker of CCleaner etc) was bought by Avast in July 2017 and there was this nasty incident...

All CCleaner versions are bundling Avast AV and/or various Google products such as Google Chrome, a Google toolbar and possibly other products....

Microsoft Community has seen quite a few of related threads.

Recently more and more threads are popping up in the Piriform/CCleaner forum which hint at even more questionable methods...

Here are a few recent example threads:

IMO, CCleaner is not unproblematic and has to be treated carefully.

I, personally, would not recommend CCleaner to inexperienced and/or not so tech-savvy persons...

Suggestion to inform yourself before installing CCleaner (or any other product) and to always, always keep your eyes wide open during installation (watch out for any bundled softwares etc etc).

You also might want to read this article (in case you don't use an ad blocker: ignore all advertisements):

https://www.howtogeek.com/172820/beginner-geek-what-does-ccleaner-do-and-should-you-use-it/

WRT to CCleaner on Windows 10:

According to
    this
    post Windows 10 blocks older versions: "CC v5.27 and older, (or somewhere around there) are no longer deemed safe by MS and automatically blocked when starting."

HTH,

Julia

Jsssssssss, Oct 15, 2019
  3. Windows Defender Scans

Check again in tab Applications. Then scroll down to category Utilities. There you should see Windows Defender listed.

Jsssssssss, Oct 15, 2019
  4. Anne Ros Win User

Windows Defender is blocking too much saying it viruses

Hi Sam,

Based on the screenshot that you've provided, Controlled Folder Access is turned on, blocking most apps that you're using. We suggest that you turn it off to allow blocked apps in Windows Defender. Follow the steps below:

• Select Start > Settings.
    • Choose Update & security > Windows Defender.
    • Select Open Windows Defender Security Center.
    • Select Virus & threat protection, and then choose Virus & threat protection settings.
    • Under Controlled folder access, turn it on or off.
    • Once done, try accessing the apps and see if you can now access them.

Should you need further assistance, feel free to post back.

Anne Ros, Oct 15, 2019
Thema:

1. why has Defender blocked an update of CCleaner (free)? - Similar Threads - why has Defender

2. windows defender has blocked your PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows defender has blocked your PC: Got a screen pop up that says windows defender has blocked your pc please call support1-888-630-1823. PC is locked up can't type in anything or use the mouse. Can we just turn off the pc?...
  3. windows defender has blocked your PC

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    windows defender has blocked your PC: Got a screen pop up that says windows defender has blocked your pc please call support1-888-630-1823. PC is locked up can't type in anything or use the mouse. Can we just turn off the pc?...
  4. Windows Defender has blocked svchost.exe

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Defender has blocked svchost.exe: I keep getting messages that say Windows Defender has blocked svchost.exe. I googled this and it says this is a Microsoft product. Is svchost.exe good or bad? Thanks for your help. Jim[Original Title: svchost.exe]...
  5. Windows Defender PUA:Win32/CCleaner

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Defender PUA:Win32/CCleaner: Yes so windows defender recently started picking up ccleaner as a PUA. I'm done with ccleaner based on recommendations from the community however I'd like to get rid of this notification under current threats. Clicking the start actions button doesn't do anything and the...
  6. CCleaner: Free vs. Paid version

CCleaner: Free vs. Paid version: Does the paid version of CCleaner suffer from the privacy issues, pop up ads, bundled software in the installer, like the CCleaner browser? Or are these issues related to just the free version? In other words, does anyone use the paid version and can confirm whether or not it...
  7. CCleaner update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    CCleaner update: Once again windows will not allow CCleaner to update. I got it to update eventually by allowing an app. However it is happening again but I cant find the setting to allow it to update....
  8. How to disable Active Monitoring in CCleaner Free

in Windows 10 News
    How to disable Active Monitoring in CCleaner Free: [ATTACH] In the recent CCleaner 5.45 version released by Piriform/Avast, a new active monitoring feature has been introduced. It is almost impossible to disable the Active Monitoring of CCleaner. This has invited angry reactions from the public over the flawed functioning...
  9. Ccleaner updates

Ccleaner updates: I saw where a new version of C Cleaner has been released. My C Cleaner (free version) is set to automatically check for updates. Will I be updated to the current version, or do I need to download the new version? 42714
  10. CCleaner blocking use of restore point.

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    CCleaner blocking use of restore point.: Last night, I was taking some time to do some "deep" system cleaning. Basically having Kaspersky first do a full system deep scan. Then having CCleaner do a system check for file bloat and corrupt registry files. Everything looked fine. Kaspersky didn't find anything, so both...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. ccleaner download blocked by anti virus