Windows 10: Why has Microsoft Edge taken over my computer?

Discus and support Why has Microsoft Edge taken over my computer? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I turned on my desktop yesterday and found a totally different look. All the icons were missing, and they were replaced by several large boxes. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by rkrat, May 7, 2020.

1. rkrat Win User

Why has Microsoft Edge taken over my computer?

I turned on my desktop yesterday and found a totally different look. All the icons were missing, and they were replaced by several large boxes. I tried to go to programs, but those are missing. I finally found something on the left side of the screen that took me to apps. Apparently that's where all the icons and programs were moved to. Unfortunately, there is no icon for Internet Explorer.

Is there any way I can get my computer back to the way it was? I'm really not a fan of Microsoft Edge.

:)

rkrat, May 7, 2020

2. microsoft edge

Hi Navid,

Thanks for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I would suggest you to try restarting Microsoft Edge Browser and check if it helps.

Follow the below steps:

• Open task manager right click on Microsoft Edge and go to details click on microsoftedgeCP.exe and click end task

• Restart your Computer and check if it helps.

Hope it helps, reply to us with the status of your issue. We will be happy to assist you.

Santosh_Rai, May 7, 2020
  3. Edge Search Does Not Permit Change of Region

I got these suggestions from the Microsoft Community forum.No. 1 worked for me:

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am glad to assist you on this.
    We have reproduce the issue here and we are able to access non-regional search for google using Microsoft Edge.
    I would suggest you to try the below steps and check if it helps.
    Step 1:
    Clear browsing data option of Microsoft Edge and check if you face the issue. To do so perform the steps below.

1. Click on the More actions icon next to the feedback icon present on top right corner of the Project Spartan homepage.
    2. Select Settings and click on Choose what to clear.
    3. Check the boxes Browsing history, Cookies and saved website data and Cached data and files and click on Clear.
    Step 2:
    I suggest you to create a new user account and check if the issue occurs.

1. Go to Settings.
    2. Choose Accounts and then select Family and other users.
    3. Select add someone else on this PC.
    4. Enter a user name and hit next.
    5. Click on Finish.
    6. Sign out from the current Account and Log into the new account.
    Step 3:
    It could also happen because of network issue. I suggest you to try with different network connection and check if it helps.

hurricane51, May 7, 2020
  4. Why has Microsoft Edge taken over my computer?

Microsoft Edge can no longer be found on my computer..?

Hi John,

Thanks for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

We understand the inconvenience caused.

To assist you better, please provide few details.

• Are you able to view Microsoft Edge browser icon in the live tiles?

• What is the make and model of your computer?
    As per your query, I suggest you to check in the all apps list for Microsoft Edge browser.

Follow the below steps:

• Click on Start button or press
      Windows key
      on the key board.

• Click on All apps and check for
      Microsoft Edge
      under M section.

• Right click on Microsoft Edge and select
      Pin to Start.

Hope it helps, reply to us with the status of your issue. We will be happy to assist you.

Santosh_Rai, May 7, 2020
Thema:

Why has Microsoft Edge taken over my computer?

1. Why has Microsoft Edge taken over my computer? - Similar Threads - Why has Microsoft

2. OneDrive has taken Over

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OneDrive has taken Over: I recently upgraded my computer and moved all my document to a new Windows 11 machine. The documents were moved into the documents folder. For reasons unknown to me, Onedrive started synching them automatically. It then stated it was out of space and I needed to pay $6.99 a...
  3. OneDrive has taken Over

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    OneDrive has taken Over: I recently upgraded my computer and moved all my document to a new Windows 11 machine. The documents were moved into the documents folder. For reasons unknown to me, Onedrive started synching them automatically. It then stated it was out of space and I needed to pay $6.99 a...
  4. Administrative account has taken over-Why???!!!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Administrative account has taken over-Why???!!!: After regretful update of windows 11.. I have gone past the 10 days and there is no way out. I can not attempt to do anything useful on laptop because no matter what, I need admin privileges. There has not been one even semi useful answer. Who knows the hidden secret here?!...
  5. Administrative account has taken over-Why???!!!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Administrative account has taken over-Why???!!!: After regretful update of windows 11.. I have gone past the 10 days and there is no way out. I can not attempt to do anything useful on laptop because no matter what, I need admin privileges. There has not been one even semi useful answer. Who knows the hidden secret here?!...
  6. Microsoft Sign has taken over my computer

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Microsoft Sign has taken over my computer: I cant sign in anywhere, and if I get a new password, within a few hours it starts saying incorrect. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-sign-has-taken-over-my-computer/ce316863-d39a-4609-b843-182376b9f4de
  7. Microsoft One Note printer has taken over my computer, how and why?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Microsoft One Note printer has taken over my computer, how and why?: I have an HP 43650 All in one printer. When I try to print pictures from my computer they go to the printer in color but the printer shows them in black and white. It also prints them in black and white. I can print them in color on Microsoft One Note but I don't know where...
  8. Why has microsoft literally taken over my computer by not letting me print or save to my...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Why has microsoft literally taken over my computer by not letting me print or save to my...: Why has microsoft literally taken over my computer by not letting me print or save to my own files. Just because I don't want to download the new edge? * Moved from IE11/Win 10...
  9. Avast has taken over my defender

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Avast has taken over my defender: 'Your PC isn't being monitored because the app's service stopped. You should restart it now'. This is what I get any time I open my windows defender ever since Avast Antivirus was installed on my laptop. The Avast Antivirus seems to be the default Antivirus for my laptop...
  10. Microsoft Edge has taken out my pictures and downloads ...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Microsoft Edge has taken out my pictures and downloads ...: May 10th 2019 I installed Microsoft Edge - I have lost all my downloads and pictures, etc., to the Microsoft Edge installation - it shows my OneDrive and My PC folders are empty - there is a screen shot verbiage at the Microsoft Edge prompt. Where the is my pictures and...