Windows 10: why has the latest windows update moved all my files into another user folder ending in .000?

Discus and support why has the latest windows update moved all my files into another user folder ending in .000? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; When I closed doen my PC last night it started doing updates and was taking a long time so I left it and went to bed. This morning I logged on - no... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Katey-#1, Feb 12, 2020.

1. Katey-#1 Win User

why has the latest windows update moved all my files into another user folder ending in .000?

When I closed doen my PC last night it started doing updates and was taking a long time so I left it and went to bed. This morning I logged on - no problems but I then realised can't remember how that my files had all moved on to another folder in the c drive ending in .000. After doing some seearching for advise on line I restarted the PC several times but its not changed. I have even closed down completely to see if this made a difference - it didnt. I am now worried that I will close down again and from what I have read this may be a temporary file.

I am not a computer whizz and reading some of the things I have has worred me that I could mess up trying to correct it. One suggestion I have seen is to remove the latest updates - there were 6 in total - KB4532693, 4537759, 4534132, 4528759, 4538674 and 1909.

Please can anyone help. My work is stored on Dropbox so I assume that will be safe but its everything else I'm worried about - documents, photos etc.

Can anyone help please?

Thanks!

:)

Katey-#1, Feb 12, 2020
  2. wpqs Win User

Windows 10 update v1909 Breaks my PC - user folder 'will' renamed 'will.000'

When I ran the Windows update v1909 it copied my user folder 'C:\Users\will' to 'C:\Users\will.000' and then deleted most of the files in 'C:\Users\will' . Consequently most of my applications can't now find the files they need - OneDrive, Outlook, etc.
    My PC is now useless.

I restored my PC using my NovaStor monthly backup image so the user folder 'C:\Users\will' contained the expected files and then reapplied the update. Unfortunately, the same happened - most of the files in folder 'C:\Users\will' were moved to 'C:\Users\will.000'.

I have run the Windows 10 Update Trouble shooter and it reports all OK. I have run Windows Update and it reports all up to date. Removing the v1909 update didn't restore my user folder so I reapplied it (the 1909 update). I have automatic updates enabled
    so keep my machine (Surface Pro) regulary updated.

How can I fix this problem without having reinstall the OS and all my app, data, etc - something that will take about a week?

3. Ivan_200 Win User
    Windows 10 update v1909 Breaks my PC - user folder 'will' renamed 'will.000'

This happened exactly to me, too. However, I took Greg's #3 suggestion (Fix You've been signed in with a temporary profile in Windows 10)
    and updated the ProfileImagePath in the registry--along with moving files from c:\users\<username>.000 to c:\users\<username>. I created another admin account on the machine to facilitate this. Am thankful for this thread.

Though, Outlook still writes to c:\users\<username>.000. But, I'm ok with that for now. So, did GoToMeeting, but I decided to uninstall that.

Ivan_200, Feb 12, 2020
  4. Anusha Win User

why has the latest windows update moved all my files into another user folder ending in .000?

C windows installer folder - Delete?

He can do symbolic link redirection and move the files in it to a different location. *Wink why has the latest windows update moved all my files into another user folder ending in .000? ;)
    Better try it out in a virtual of first. Just a suggestion.

Like:
    First move everything in c:\windows\installer to d:\installercache
    Then delete c:\windows\installer folder
    Then type this in command mode as admin
    mklink /d c:\windows\installer d:\installercache

Removing those installer files is a bad idea. it might prevent you from updating or uninstalling apps.

Anusha, Feb 12, 2020
Thema:

1. why has the latest windows update moved all my files into another user folder ending in .000? - Similar Threads - why has latest

2. Moving user profile folders to another drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Moving user profile folders to another drive: Hi,My daughter bought an HP Notebook 2GB RAM, 32 GB eMMC SSD because the price was ridiculously low, but after a couple of months she'd filled up C:\drive and the notebook was unusable. Of course the job of "fixing" became mine. No problem I though since it had a microSD...
  3. Moving user profile folders to another drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving user profile folders to another drive: Hi,My daughter bought an HP Notebook 2GB RAM, 32 GB eMMC SSD because the price was ridiculously low, but after a couple of months she'd filled up C:\drive and the notebook was unusable. Of course the job of "fixing" became mine. No problem I though since it had a microSD...
  4. Moving user profile folders to another drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Move user profile folders to another drive

Move user profile folders to another drive: I've seen some stuff on here about how to move folders IN a user profile to another drive. I need the entire profile to be on another drive. I bought an OEM Dell machine that came with a 256GB system drive and a 1TB data drive. Great. As far as it goes. Moving just...
  6. Is there a way to move all my files to another user account?

Is there a way to move all my files to another user account?: Howdy! can you move all the installed programs, documents and other files from one Windows 10 user account to another or other? I was banned from my main account at Microsoft and can't play a game online so I made a second user and created a new Microsoft account where I can...
  7. User folder renamed with .000?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    User folder renamed with .000?: Hi all - having an issue with a friend's (named Doug) Win10 HP laptop. He had a Windows 10 upgrade go through awhile back and since then he has two user folders - 'Doug' and 'Doug.000'. For the record, his machine only ever had one user account called Doug, which was an admin...
  8. My user folder has been moved to the desktop

My user folder has been moved to the desktop: Hello I've just started setting up my new desktop with Windows 10. I just realised my user folder has been moved to the desktop, not sure how. In the C:Users\ folder there are now only two folders: 'Public' (used to be there before) and 'defaultuser10000' (new folder...
  9. Updated to 1903 but 'user'.000 now created and holds all my user files

Updated to 1903 but 'user'.000 now created and holds all my user files: Hi, as per the title. All my pre-update User files are now in a folder with ".000" added to the name. I've already run into problems with programs using the non .000 path e.g. Dropbox. Is there an easy fix for this?...
  10. Latest Update has wiped all files

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Latest Update has wiped all files: After doing latest update on closing my desktop it seems all files have been wiped. After signing in I just get a black screen with only recycle bin on it and 1 or 2 on the taskbar at bottom of screen that don't do anything. Is there anyway to solve this have tried going back...