Windows 10: Why have I got two desktop folders?

Discus and support Why have I got two desktop folders? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; [ATTACH] submitted by /u/HarryRobso [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/gccilr/why_have_i_got_two_desktop_folders/ Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/HarryRobso, May 2, 2020.

1. Why have I got two desktop folders?

/u/HarryRobso, May 2, 2020
  2. MohanC Win User

windows 10 deleted my desktop files

Step 1 - I upgraded to Win 10 and lost all my files on Desktop.

Step 2 - Found the files in Network - USers- Desktop

copied all files again to desktop.

Step 3- Restarted my machine again and lost desktop files again.

Step 4 - As suggested did the following as listed below but dont find my files.

• Press “Windows + E”, open This PC/Computer
    • Open Local Disc C, open Windows.old
    • Click on Users, select your User name
    • Go to desktop folder
    Cant find my files. Why is Win 10 deleted files again and again from Desktop ?.

MohanC, May 2, 2020
  3. mrgeek Win User
    Change Folder View Layout in Windows 10

"uhm that method does not work. i want to set folder view as List as default instead Details for all folders"
    Did you download and run Brink's .bat file in Step 1 ? Lacking that, look at the screens in post 3. In Step 5 'folders of this type' defaults to each of the Windows templates for Pictures, Music, etc. If you want ALL folders to have the same List view, r-click any folder in each of the 5 folders under This PC (Desktop does not apply) and hit 'Customize this folder'. Set to 'Optimize this folder for General Items". Then follow the screen in post 3 using List instead of Details in Step 1 and you should be good to go.

mrgeek, May 2, 2020
  4. enso Win User

Why have I got two desktop folders?

Quick Access not searching Pictures folder

Summary, that last suggestion didn't work.

• I moved the pictures to another folder temporarily.

• Since there were no troubleshooting steps for this scenario, just for the heck of it, I ran through the restore steps. Copied some pictures into the Pictures folder, ran a Quick Access search and initial problem remains: Searching all of QA doesn't find any files in Pictures folder, running search on just the Pictures folder does. I want to run a global search and find matching files in any/all of the Documents, Music, Videos, and Pictures folders.
    That article dates from 2015 and I'm guessing is out of date. I hope it didn't create potential future problems in my registry.

Bottom line: I'm still looking for a fix.

enso, May 2, 2020
Thema:

Why have I got two desktop folders?

1. Why have I got two desktop folders? - Similar Threads - Why got desktop

2. Two Documents folders but no Desktop folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Two Documents folders but no Desktop folder: After upgrading from win7 to win10, I found that there are two Documents folders in my user folder. One of these apparently is the Desktop folder containing all desktop files, but named Documents. I cannot change its name, and when trying to create a new Desktop folder,...
  3. Two Documents folders but no Desktop folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Two Documents folders but no Desktop folder: After upgrading from win7 to win10, I found that there are two Documents folders in my user folder. One of these apparently is the Desktop folder containing all desktop files, but named Documents. I cannot change its name, and when trying to create a new Desktop folder,...
  4. Two Documents folders but no Desktop folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. i have merged download folder with desktop and now i have no download folder and two...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    i have merged download folder with desktop and now i have no download folder and two...: i have merged download folder with desktop and now i have no download folder and two desktop folder https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-have-merged-download-folder-with-desktop-and-now/4ac092fb-97a0-4be6-9599-579770fc74ce
  6. i have merged download folder with desktop and now i have no download folder and two...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    i have merged download folder with desktop and now i have no download folder and two...: i have merged download folder with desktop and now i have no download folder and two desktop folder https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-have-merged-download-folder-with-desktop-and-now/4ac092fb-97a0-4be6-9599-579770fc74ce
  7. Why do I have two Documents folders?

Why do I have two Documents folders?: I had, as my base documents folder, a local hard drive called D:\Documents. I do not want to use OneDrive.When reformatting my hard drive and doing a clean Windows install, d:\docs is still intact the D: drive was never touched. However now Windows insists that my documents...
  8. Why does my user folder have two 'Documents' folders?

Why does my user folder have two 'Documents' folders?: In my user folder C:\Users\cooky for Windows 10 Version 20H2, Build 19042.804, I discovered that there were 2 folders for 'Documents'. One is attached to my OneDrive folder, which happens to be in my user folder... [IMG] ...While the other is attached to my user...
  9. I have two Documents folders

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    I have two Documents folders: I moved my documents folder onto D drive. And everything was fine. Then I did the same thing with my desktop. But now for some reason, I have two documents folders and now everything I save in my D drive also goes to the desktop and everything I save in the desktop directly...
  10. Why two Download folders?

in Windows 10 Support
    Why two Download folders?: Hi, I'm curious to know why, since I'm the sole user and administrator on my pc, there are doubles of some folders/files/ For example, in File Explorer, there are folders under my user name, and then there are the exact same folders in This PC. Aren't they just taking up...