Windows 10: Why I can't copy folder User?

Discus and support Why I can't copy folder User? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; When you want to copy folder c:\user\ for backup it doesn't allow many folders and desktop folder too. You can copy all from the desktop by selecting,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Perk8one, Dec 2, 2020.

1. Why I can't copy folder User?

When you want to copy folder c:\user\ for backup it doesn't allow many folders and desktop folder too. You can copy all from the desktop by selecting, copy and paste but when it has to be copied from the user folder it can't.

Why the user folder isn't allowed to be copied? How can I prevent that? How can I make a backup of all files before I reinstall Windows when I can't just copy and paste?

submitted by /u/Perk8one
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Perk8one, Dec 2, 2020

2. How to copy administrator user account

Hi,

I suggest you to follow the below steps to copy the user date and check if it helps.

Note: I suggest to create a new user profile and transfer user data to new account and delete or change the corrupt user profile.

Copy User Data: Follow the below steps to copy files to the new user profile

• Log on as a user other than the user whose profile you are copying files to or from.
    • In Windows Explorer, click View, and Check mark hidden files and folders, uncheck the
      Hide protected operating system files check box, and then click
      OK
    • Locate the C:\Users\Old Username folder, where
      C is the drive on which Windows is installed, and Old Username is the name of the profile you want to copy user data from.
    • Press and hold down the CTRL key while you click each file and subfolder in this folder, except the following files:

• Ntuser.dat

• Ntuser.dat.log

• Ntuser.ini
    • On the Edit menu, click
      Copy
    • Locate the C:\Users\New Username folder, where
      C is the drive on which Windows is installed, and New Username is the name of the user profile that you created in the "Create a New User Profile" section.
    • On the Edit menu, click
      Paste
    • Log off the computer, and then log on as the new user.

Keep us informed if the issue is resolved. We are glad to help you further.

Sachin Venkatesh, Dec 2, 2020
  3. Nicrite Win User
    Vista Ultimate - 'User' Folder Location

No tried that.

Can copy the entire folder to D; but Windows still points to C as the location. Can change personal folders location to a folder on D;, but this still leaves hidden files etc on C;. Thus meaning there are 2 Users folders. Have managed to change the Public folder location to D;, with some registry tweaks, but this doesnt seem to work for the entire folder.

any more suggestions

Nicrite, Dec 2, 2020
  4. temp02 Win User

Why I can't copy folder User?

Java.nio.file - Copying files

You can't copy a folder, thats why it generates an exception (you are trying to copy a folder using a copy file function).
    You probably need to list all the files inside that folder and copy one by one

temp02, Dec 2, 2020
Thema:

Why I can't copy folder User?

1. Why I can't copy folder User? - Similar Threads - Why can't copy

2. Why can't I copy an open image and paste in a folder?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why can't I copy an open image and paste in a folder?: I used to be able to copy an open image on the windows photo viewer but now when I attempt to paste in my desired folder, its no longer allowing me to....
  3. Why can't I copy an open image and paste in a folder?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why can't I copy an open image and paste in a folder?: I used to be able to copy an open image on the windows photo viewer but now when I attempt to paste in my desired folder, its no longer allowing me to....
  4. why can't i add or remove user of a file or folder.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    why can't i add or remove user of a file or folder.: why can't i add or remove user of a file or folder. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-cant-i-add-or-remove-user-of-a-file-or-folder/de4c8c57-e0d3-498d-8c9b-33114fef13cf
  5. why can't i add or remove user of a file or folder.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    why can't i add or remove user of a file or folder.: why can't i add or remove user of a file or folder. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-cant-i-add-or-remove-user-of-a-file-or-folder/de4c8c57-e0d3-498d-8c9b-33114fef13cf
  6. why can't i add or remove user of a file or folder.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. why i can't create . folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    why i can't create . folder: i want create . foder i try to use cmd to create . foder but it say . already existsi https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-i-cant-create-folder/39b90761-3f4d-4c80-bb25-94a96662d4a9
  8. How to copy Users folder?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to copy Users folder?: I want to backup my c:\Users folder but it has for some folders protection and doesn't allow me to copy on other hdd. How can I do this? submitted by /u/Perk8one [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/gnmdip/how_to_copy_users_folder/
  9. I have 7 users in my User folder. Why?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    I have 7 users in my User folder. Why?: Version 1909 (OS Build 18363.720) [img] I'm not sure how I royally screwed this up. I created a new user associated with my new email and didn't like the fact my username was expressed differently in the Users folder so I tried changing the name via the registry and...
  10. Why can't I move a folder?

in Windows 10 Support
    Why can't I move a folder?: I have a folder with icons in it which I downloaded online to import into a program I have called FolderMagic. I've had and used this program for years. After importing the icons into the FolderMagic program, I want to save this icon folder as a sub-folder inside another...