Windows 10: Why i can't see thumbnails preview in file explorer ?

Discus and support Why i can't see thumbnails preview in file explorer ? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have window 10 home. I'm in the directory on my hard disk c:\ I can see maybe 2-3 thumbnails preview the rest are icons and i have like 400... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Chocolade, Oct 4, 2017.

1. Chocolade Win User

Why i can't see thumbnails preview in file explorer ?

I have window 10 home.

I'm in the directory on my hard disk c:\
    I can see maybe 2-3 thumbnails preview the rest are icons and i have like 400 items most of them thumbnails/images of some types: png jpg bmp.

My hard disk c: have 93.6 GB free out of 139 GB
    And i tried already in the menu: View > Options > Change folder and search options > View and then unchecked Always show icons, never thumbnails. But it didn't help much.

I did new windows 10 clean install today and not yet installed new updates since there was no space on C: so i startec lean up some stuff and so far i have 93.6 GB free space. Maybe the problem is that i need first to install all the updates ?

I tried now to go drive D and same problem most of the images without preview.

:)

Chocolade, Oct 4, 2017
  2. JErddy Win User

Can't preview .png files in explorer

I can't preview .png files in windows explorer for windows 10. It doesn't matter if I try to view the image as a thumbnail or in the preview pane. The icon is a generic image and the preview pain is blank. Other image files work. Why don't these work.
    I could view them in windows 7. Any suggestions?

JErddy, Oct 4, 2017
  3. TrevorNF Win User
    PDF thumbnails not showing in Windows 10 file explorer

Hi ste0,

Tried your fix and progress has been made.

Now if I try to Open a pdf file using the reader I can see thumbnails, BUT still can't see thumbnails when using File Explorer! I can see a preview if I use the Preview pane however, so that is a vast improvement on the nothing I had before!

Thank you for leading me to an acceptable solution without needing to uninstall, reinstall older versions etc.

Still prefer if I could use File Explorer and see thumbnails like I can for docs, jpgs etc

TrevorNF, Oct 4, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

- if you did a clean install - replacing all your existing Windows partitions- I'm wondering how you have no room left?

That's potentially more significant than your thumbnail issue.

Previously you said there was plenty of spare space.. you should have more after a clean install.
    Please post a screenshot of your partitions, preferably using Minitool Partition Wizard, expanding columns so all text is visible. Thanks.
    To post a screenshot please use the Insert Image icon above your post to the left of the video icon. Thanks.

Regarding your thumbnails, please also post a screenshot of file explorer showing this. Thanks.

dalchina, Oct 7, 2017
  5. Chocolade Win User
    Why i can't see thumbnails preview in file explorer ? [​IMG]

And file explorer

Chocolade, Oct 7, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    Hi, thanks, just considering your disk layout: your system disk is MBR (I'm wondering why you chose that rather than the newer more robust GPT format)?
    Whats the Difference Between GPT and MBR When Partitioning a Drive?

So your partition layout for a legacy BIOS based PC would be
    Partition layout

If you install Windows using a bootable USB key made by Windows Imaging and Configuration Designer (ICD), it creates the following layout by default: a system partition, a Windows partition, and a recovery tools partition.

- 3 partitions (sometimes 2 if I recall).
    BIOS/MBR-based hard drive partitions | Microsoft Docs

The other Windows partition (System Reserved) is on Disk 2.
    This is not ideal and could cause problems with disk maintenance and OS upgrade in the future.

All your media files seem associated with Films and TV.
    I tried that for 3 test AVIs which play with another player, and two older ones aren't supported by that app. That's by the way.

In Small Icons view in file explorer, you won't get thumbnails anyway.
    Try Medium Icons.

Now when I did that, I didn't see thumbnails either.

Download and install a program called Icaros. This causes thumbnails to be generated for video files.

Download Icaros - MajorGeeks

dalchina, Oct 7, 2017
  7. You need to select to show icons, not list. It does not show thumbnails.

In order to show video thumbnails, you might need codecs like:

Download K-Lite Codec Pack Basic

TairikuOkami, Oct 7, 2017
  8. Edwin New Member

As @TairikuOkami stated,
    'List' and 'Details' view won't show thumbnails,
    (depending on your resolution/dpi),
    'Small Icons' view may not show thumbnails either until you Ctrl+Scroll up a few increments.

Edwin, Oct 7, 2017
  9. Chocolade Win User
    Thank you very much i will make new thread about the partition/s.

Chocolade, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Why i can't see thumbnails preview in file explorer ? - Similar Threads - Why can't thumbnails

2. Why can't i see thumbnails in alt+tab

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why can't i see thumbnails in alt+tab: So like 1-2 months ago or so, i got an update for windows 11, so i decided to update of course. Then when the pc rebooted, and i opened some game, i think it was roblox since i used to play it i don't anymore, since it disables every SINGLE hotkey on my entire keyboard,...
  3. Why can't i see thumbnails in alt+tab

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why can't i see thumbnails in alt+tab: So like 1-2 months ago or so, i got an update for windows 11, so i decided to update of course. Then when the pc rebooted, and i opened some game, i think it was roblox since i used to play it i don't anymore, since it disables every SINGLE hotkey on my entire keyboard,...
  4. Pictures not displaying thumbnail previews in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Pictures not displaying thumbnail previews in File Explorer: I recently bought a laptop with Windows 10, having decided to move away from Apple MacBook. This has proven to be a disaster. I use my laptop as I edit photos and graphic design content. However it is proving an impossible task to do this as all of my saved files won't...
  5. File explorer thumbnails show no preview for videos

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    File explorer thumbnails show no preview for videos: Hi all, I just built a pc and installed Windows 10. I have been working on Macs for years now so there is a bit of a learning curve. I usually do video editing but have run into a problem. Typically when I go to finder, Mac's version of file explorer, I see a thumbnail with a...
  6. why can't i preview excel files in win10 file explorer?

why can't i preview excel files in win10 file explorer?: why can't i preview excel files in explorer? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-cant-i-preview-excel-files-in-win10-file/b8c3cd60-1e02-4a51-b479-0810d7d75a2d
  7. File Explorer Thumbnail Preview Spacing

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer Thumbnail Preview Spacing: Greetings, I've recently switched from Windows 7 to 10 and I've noticed a behavior that I was curious about. If possible, I'd like to remedy it, but Google searching doesn't really yield any meaningful results. Here's the issue I'm seeing. If I set Windows to show thumbnail...
  8. Why can I not see thumbnails in File Explorer

Why can I not see thumbnails in File Explorer: Why can I not see thumbnails in File Explorer?? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-can-i-not-see-thumbnails-in-file-explorer/da120d4e-a8c5-4419-8d11-51b56a6c003c"
  9. Windows Explorer thumbnail preview file types

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Explorer thumbnail preview file types: What file types Windows Explorer is capable of showing thumbnail previews of in the latest Windows 10 versions? Today mine is 1809 (17763.195). I mean all kinds of files: documents, images, videos, etc.—without the need of third-party programs, plug-ins, extensions, etc....
  10. How to turn on Thumbnail Preview in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    How to turn on Thumbnail Preview in File Explorer: How to I turn on Thumbnail Preview for my JPEG 's in File Exploere? 15850

Users found this page by searching for:

1. cant see thumbnails

2. cant see preview

3. why cant i see image thumbnails

4. i cant see image thumbnails,
  5. why cant i see thumbnail,
  6. cant see thumbnail preview windows 10,
  7. windows explorer cant see files,
  8. why cant i preview files,
  9. cant see pdf thumbnail,
  10. still cant see thumbnails after unchecking,
  11. why cant i see anything in file explorer preview ?,