Windows 10: Why I HATE the store

Discus and support Why I HATE the store in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi there I REALLY LOATHE this type of "Store" app to find software First the search doesn't work -- I was looking for latest updates to Office... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by jimbo45, Apr 29, 2015.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Why I HATE the store

Hi there

I REALLY LOATHE this type of "Store" app to find software

First the search doesn't work -- I was looking for latest updates to Office 2016 preview - and I get all sorts of RUBBISH (Wheel of Fortune and other total nonsense kiddy stuff) and finally if I just go via Categories the wretched app just fails.

Get back to traditional Software delivery --that always worked in the past.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Apr 29, 2015
  2. Rickdan25 Win User

Why I Hate My Nokia N8 and Why The N8 UX Team Needs Fired

I don't think that the N8 UX team is the one to be fired. The N8 is a great smartphone, especially the ovi navigation and the 12 megapixel camera, but how can you use all these greatness if the phone suddenly breaksdown and the nokia care give you the
    badnews that it is no longer economically advisable to repair it. What a great waste.

Rickdan25, Apr 29, 2015
  3. Rosswaldo Win User
    Why I Hate My Nokia N8 and Why The N8 UX Team Needs Fired

Thanks Ray, will check it out. Would have been nice to try a demo before spending my hard earned £1 Why I HATE the store :)

I hope Nokia can somehow reiterate around the Log area, it drastically needs work

Rosswaldo, Apr 29, 2015
  4. Gary Win User

Why I HATE the store

I don't hate inanimate objects but then I have no use for the Store.

5. I got the same error Jimbo45, M$ must be updating the store again as they are adding new apps as mentioned in yesterdays Build keynote. I clean installed build 10074 Tuesday and installed "Word Preview" with no problems.

IownAmoneyPit, Apr 29, 2015
  6. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

Thanks

BTW I think I'll do a CLEAN install -- with the upgrade on a REAL machine I can't even get the start menu to appear at all -- and on a VM it appears but like build 10061 any Desktop app won't launch from the start menu.

I actually only wanted the Office preview updates --so far Office 2016 is working just fine.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 29, 2015
  7. Mystere Win User
    So... you hate the store because it's unfinished software and has bugs.... That's really logical.

Mystere, Apr 29, 2015
  8. Why I HATE the store

The Store model is not user friendly, whether it's Google or MS (I don't know about Apple).

Thousands of results for things (games, productivity, whatever) is ridiculous. The issue isn't that there are so many (that's a good thing), the issue is organization and granularity. Google is only slightly better at this, and they've been doing it longer. I recently looked for Guitar tuning apps on Google and found hundreds. Ok, except there were really only 10 or 20 tuning apps, the rest were for lessons, youtube downloaders, anything with Guitar or tuning in the metadata or title (I'm not sure how it filters the results).

Was my search not specific enough? Guitar tuning vs "Guitar tuning" vs Guitar AND tuning - could be.

A similar experience with the MS store searching for Mahjong - turned up everything but MS Mahjong ... no ability to filter publisher. I fed MS and the last time I tried the same search results included MS Mahjong. So it is getting better.

I forget what results were for Microsoft, but searching for 'Preview' actually works (first time were the Office apps, the last time there were about 30 apps. They're making it better but how to make it useable - that's the golden ticket.

The Store is just a delivery mechanism, if you know the app you want, the question is how to find it in the store. How can I tell you about an app? Where's the URI? Do I just say "Get XYZ app from the store ... it's in the Productivity category"?

As with everything new, I might just be doing the wrong thing - thinking it should work this way when it doesn't. I had to adjust my ways when I moved up to Win7 ("where'd they move that feature ... I can't find anything!" ... slight dig on Search, but the way to do many 'common' things were moved or became right clicks). Win8 wasn't much of a learning curve, but Win10 will require some adjustment to the way people do things.

Speaking of Search (File Explorer) ... I noticed that they've brought back the sub-Features (search again, customize, ???,???) at the bottom (or to the left) of the results. This is good!

back to the Store ... it will need to be organized much better to be useful, not as a depository or delivery mechanism, but as a UI.

Slartybart, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Why I HATE the store

1. Why I HATE the store - Similar Threads - Why HATE store

2. Windows 11 - I love, Microsoft Store I hate

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 - I love, Microsoft Store I hate: So I got a new pc over around 15 days ago and I really like W11. However MS Store is a different matter, wow updates are really really slow.. I got a free 1 month Xbox pass but I can't use it cause: Xbox needs to be updatedXbox Game Bar needs to be updated. Gaming Services...
  3. List of things i hate about the microsoft store

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    List of things i hate about the microsoft store: 1-- Coming pre-installed with apps that i absolutely won't need in my life2-- Purchacing free games for me without asking me first im talking roblox, candy crush, etc3-- Putting ads in games that i PAID FOR they put ads in minecraft which costed $254-- Impossible to...
  4. List of things i hate about the microsoft store

in Windows 10 Gaming
    List of things i hate about the microsoft store: 1-- Coming pre-installed with apps that i absolutely won't need in my life2-- Purchacing free games for me without asking me first im talking roblox, candy crush, etc3-- Putting ads in games that i PAID FOR they put ads in minecraft which costed $254-- Impossible to...
  5. List of things i hate about the microsoft store

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Why I hate Windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Why I hate Windows 10: I had windows 10 0n an SSD, had it running with Manjaro and Linux Mint, using GRUB to choose which OS I go to on Startup. I wanted to go to Windows to do something and it will not startup. As a result, I am done with Windows 10, 11, and any other Windows operating systems...
  7. I hate this . . .

in Windows 10 Customization
    I hate this . . .: My computer's a Dell laptop.Running Windows 10.One thing, that's very annoying!There's, a big box. That slides out,from the right side.Covering half, of my screen.It has the temperature, and local news.I have to wait, a little while.To get it to, slide back.Is there a way, to...
  8. I hate this . . .

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I hate this . . .: My computer's a Dell laptop.Running Windows 10.One thing, that's very annoying!There's, a big box. That slides out,from the right side.Covering half, of my screen.It has the temperature, and local news.I have to wait, a little while.To get it to, slide back.Is there a way, to...
  9. I hate this . . .

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  10. Why I hate Windows Defender

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Why I hate Windows Defender: I'm very pissed off that Windows Defender "eats" 181 MB (41%) of my RAM. Is there a way to fix it?? I don't know if this question appears on that sub before, but this situation is very uncomfortable for me. Really thankful with you guys have some time to help me. submitted...