Windows 10: Why I'm excited for Windows 10

Discus and support Why I'm excited for Windows 10 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; This is my first post in a VERY long time, sorry about the lack of posts! But anyhoo... Windows 10. This has been by far a very contentious... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Coke Robot, Jul 11, 2015.

1. Why I'm excited for Windows 10

This is my first post in a VERY long time, sorry about the lack of posts!

But anyhoo... Windows 10.

This has been by far a very contentious Windows release mainly for the Windows Phone crowd as it means much of what was simply beautifully done with Windows Phone is now something almost seemingly generic (not so much really) and for the die hard Windows 8.1 user such as myself, it almost meant what could have launched UI/UX interactions into a new dimension not ever done before; I have to say I for one, am overjoyed with Windows 10!

It's not so much about the Desktop as it is about the Phone and the HoloLens and the fundamental design of Windows 10 at its core. It's the One OS to Rule them All. Windows 8 was much about One UI to Rule them All, and that was nice (but not to everyone, I know) and was just a breath of fresh air. It was what launched Windows into this new realm that 10 fulfills. It's about one singular, familiar experience tailored to every device you use. You see, it's not about being what's better or what's worse, android vs. ios. vs Windows et al, it's about who we are and what we do. It's about Starting new things and new experiences and enabling all of us to achieve the maximum potential we all have. As much as that has probably been said by Microsoft, it really is true when you think about it. So many things are affected by the use of Windows EACH and EVERY single day that we almost take it for granted. Microsoft wants Windows 10 to be the one that people love, but Windows is so ubiquitous, it would almost be making people love breathing air.

But Windows 10, this is something new. This is something so different in every regard, what's not to love?

What excites me more about it is Windows Phone. Now, this doesn't go to say 10 hasn't been well received initially by the community as it's a gentrification of the platform to make it more inline to android and ios UI wise so it's more "usable" than 8.1 for the general audience. While that is true, I don't mourn the loss of that. Windows 10 bring a new experience to the Phone that hasn't been this revamped in literally almost five years. It's metro 2.0 for sure. It's cleaner, it's lighter, Groove Music DOES NOT SUCK on the phone which is something I thought I'd never see in my lifetime, a working music player on Windows Phone that's a first party app not built in the system that actually works. The power that Windows 10 brings to the Phone is simply spectacular, I mean, Continuum, are you kidding me?! Your phone literally can become a lite-PC! That's freaking crazy! *What The solution for apps on Windows Phone was long expected to be android apps running natively, but that had the issue of abandoning Windows native development, but yet Microsoft pulled another bunny out of their hat and made it possible to copy and paste literally ALL the code from android or ios apps and make minor code tweaks and publish it as a Windows app! Simply shocking!

And that leads off to the core of Windows and development for it. Before, it's always been Microsoft saying to developers, "You should develop for Windows because of X feature and the power of it." Nowadays, it's just simply a question of, "Why not?" There's almost no hurdle anymore for a developer to make an app for all Windows devices.

And speaking of Windows devices: HoloLens. Holy Lord have mercy that is amazing! It's a Virtual Reality Personal Computer. It's not a simple addon that requires a separate device like google glasses that simply doesn't do anything useful other than being a glorified notification system, this is groundbreaking. I honestly believe the HoloLens is going to open up the doors to development and fundamentally alter the way we interact with data and information and objects just like the GUI did with the PC. So much focus for the HoloLens is education right now and design, and those are fields that will benefit greatly by it. But when I first saw that video reveal of it, I immediately thought of all the interactions we do on a traditional PC and how that will be forever revolutionized. Just think about online shopping, the HUGEST benefit brick and mortar stores have is that you can interact and see the item, online you just see pictures. An Amazon app could literally bring that item right in front you so you can "physically" interact with it before you buy it. Online commerce would be forever changed by that. Similar technology could be used in cars to make you more aware of your surroundings. Instructional videos online will become hands on tutorials. Every little thing we use PCs for will be changed by the HoloLens, it's just amazing.

But enough of my preaching, I need to get these builds of Windows 10 installed on the PC and Phone. Hopefully the latest phone build is good enough for daily driver use on the 920!

Glad to be back!

:)

Coke Robot, Jul 11, 2015

2. Cortana not available in Australia ?

Hi I'm from India. I got my Windows 10 upgrade. It's cool but I was excited for "Cortana" and it seems it's missing.

@Microsoft: can you please let us know why it's missing or if any configuration required to activate it in Windows 10.

Vivek.KSingh, Jul 11, 2015
  3. Upgrade to Windows 10 home Failed Error code: 80240FFF

Hi! Like everyone else, I was excited about windows 10 and reserved it well in advanced, but when I go to control center and go to download history, It shows windows 10 tried to download but failed, giving me the error code: 80240FFF. I'm thinking this
    is why I'm not getting my notification on my download yet. Someone please help! I'm very worried there is something wrong with my computer!

RyanO'Meara, Jul 11, 2015
  4. CountMike New Member

Why I'm excited for Windows 10

I like looking to the future too but those flying cars we dreamed about 50 or more years ago are somewhat slow to show up. It looked like a good idea at the time but when you look at it now, it seams all we would get is 3D instead of 2D traffic jams. 150 years ago Nikola Tesla was born and more than 100 years ago, he predicted mobile phones and instant communications. Isac Asimov made foundation for all of this robotics and look at the state of robotics now.
    Yes it takes science > technology connection on highest level but it takes only few visionaries to get things started. In IT, there were few of them too. There was not too many of them either but what there was, only looking back one can get idea who they are and what they did. Sadly, economists have taken precedence over visionaries as of lately and it shows.
    How far back do computers go ? Seems like forever when you look back far enough. It took some combination of science > technology > logic and imagination to get us where we are now. Logic, and I don't mean as a part of philosophy but as in computer programing. Let's take only what become of PC. Remember all of the OSes and particularly DOS > Windows path? Who or what are we supposed to thank for ?
    On HW side, I think IBM's "mistake" of letting go of PC started all of this stuff on today's level. Not believing that PC would amount to much and making cheap deal with Billy and he's creed got us here with not so fresh idea but on the threshold of having really unified computing and communications. If MS (or anybody else) succeeds it would be just as much important as the invent of PC itself bringing it all on personal level.
    I like looking at wider picture so objections of "Ugly icons and looks of the menus" seem pretty silly to me. On the other hand given that looks may present a stumbling block for wider acceptance, MS should be wise to pay more attention to it even if it means appeasing people concerned about looks only.

CountMike, Jul 11, 2015
Thema:

Why I'm excited for Windows 10

1. Why I'm excited for Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Why I'm excited

2. Microsoft hints at exciting future of Windows 10 and Surface

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft hints at exciting future of Windows 10 and Surface: Rumour has it that Microsoft has cancelled Windows 10X to focus on the Sun Valley update for the desktop operating system. During or after the Build 2021 developer conference, Microsoft will reportedly announce ‘the new Windows’, which is likely to be the Sun Valley update...
  3. Don't get to excited about the features of Windows 10 version 21H1

in Windows 10 News
    Don't get to excited about the features of Windows 10 version 21H1: The next feature update for Windows 10 is coming soon. Many Windows 10 administrators and users may be interested in the update, especially what it is going to change, introduce or remove from the Windows 10 operating system. Microsoft revealed some time ago that Windows 10...
  4. Very exciting Microsoft Store problem.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Very exciting Microsoft Store problem.: Hey. I had this problem where whenever I tried to install a Microsoft Store app, the error code 0x80070424 would appear and it wouldn't install. Went through a tutorial to fix that, and then the install button just wouldn't do anything. Went through a tutorial to do that, and...
  5. Windows 10 update leak reveals exciting new changes

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 update leak reveals exciting new changes: There are several highly-requested features in Windows 10 and a new volume flyout is one of them. As we reported recently, one of the most essential features of Windows – taskbar volume controls could be finally getting a big overhaul in Windows 10 20H2 update, which is due...
  6. Windows 10 Your Phone app will get another exciting feature

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 Your Phone app will get another exciting feature: After killing off Windows 10 Mobile, Microsoft has been improving its mobile apps for iOS and Android. Microsoft doesn’t intrinsically own these platforms, but the software giant’s new strategy appears to seed its apps and services everywhere it could. Windows 10’s Your...
  7. Generally excited!

in Windows 10 Support
    Generally excited!: Hi everyone! Some of you might know me from seven and vista forums. Ever since Win 8 came out, I lost interest in Windows and faded away from the forums. Since trying out the insider previews of Win 10, I've got to say I'm excited about Windows again. I'll be happy to...
  8. Microsoft: January Windows 10 build will excite sysadmins

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft: January Windows 10 build will excite sysadmins: Microsoft will conduct a big, consumer-focussed, reveal of Windows 10's progress in January, and not long afterwards will “move conversation” to the new operating system's features for enterprise users. Microsoft Australia representatives today told The Reg that sysadmins...
  9. Just Curious ... Why is everyone excited about Windows 10 ??

in Windows 10 Support
    Just Curious ... Why is everyone excited about Windows 10 ??: I laugh when I see people get excited over something they know absolutely nothing about. The innocence and ignorance is quite charming and child-like. Use Windows 10 for a few minutes and you find out you can't change the desktop icons font ... gone is the ability for me...
  10. Quite excited

in Windows 10 Support
    Quite excited: at the prospect of having Windows 10. This will be one of the very few times I have actually had the 'current' O/S in use on my PC's. I'm being patient at the moment - looking in the update history, I note 6 messages listed as follows - .... Upgrade to Windows 10 Home,...