Windows 10: why is a secondary HDD always being read/write when my windows is installed on my SSD?

Discus and support why is a secondary HDD always being read/write when my windows is installed on my SSD? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Okay I suddenly had a massive loss in performance but I am not exactly sure when it happened. What I do know is that when I do basic functions I have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by bhroom, Jan 9, 2020.

1. bhroom Win User

why is a secondary HDD always being read/write when my windows is installed on my SSD?

Okay I suddenly had a massive loss in performance but I am not exactly sure when it happened. What I do know is that when I do basic functions I have started hearing and seeing in Task Manager Performance large portions of activity on my secondary HDD.

My setup is a little unorthodox:

I have 2 250GB Solid State Drives in RAID0 managed by my mother board don't ask, it was from a while ago when I needed extreme read/write. This Drive is C: and I have Windows and most programs installed on it.

Then I have a RAID5 array functioning as D: which has larger programs that I don't mind not running perfectly. Also, I have my OneDrive installed into this drive which may be some issue?.

Then I also have a final large storage Drive M: which is just a 1TB HDD drive.

Here is the problem: most anything I do with programs installed on C: accesses D: Drive as well. Even when I click on the Start Menu it seems to access D:.... Why? Is my OneDrive saving some kind of index or something on D:?

why is a secondary HDD always being read/write when my windows is installed on my SSD? b242a7e1-9d24-4215-a0d9-ff6097b6bdad?upload=true.png

It's really annoying because there is a noticeable performance loss now. It's as if C: is being mirror or something. I don't feel like I am accessing D: in any way currently, but it's constantly running.

Any ideas?

:)

bhroom, Jan 9, 2020
  2. Nikhar_K Win User

Slow HDD read and write speeds

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We will require a few more information from you to help you further with the issue. Please reply with the following details:

• In which device are you facing this issue?
    • Are you using an external HDD or internal HDD?
    • Are you getting the read and write speed issue on any particular application?

However, you can Disk Defragment on your computer to optimize the drive. To run Disk Defragment please follow the steps from the article

Defragment your Windows 10 PC

Alternatively, you can check for the read and write speed of the HDD in task manager. Please follow the steps mentioned below to check the read and write speed of the hard drive:

1. Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc key together on the keyboard.
    2. Click on Performance tab.
    3. Click on Disk 0.
    4. You will find the Read speed and
      Write speed
      at the bottom of the window.

Hope it helps.

Please reply with the status of the issue, we will be glad to help you further.

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Jan 9, 2020
  3. Nikhar_K Win User
    Slow HDD read and write speeds

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We will require a few more information from you to help you further with the issue. Please reply with the following details:

• In which device are you facing this issue?
    • Are you using an external HDD or internal HDD?
    • Are you getting the read and write speed issue on any particular application?

However, you can Disk Defragment on your computer to optimize the drive. To run Disk Defragment please follow the steps from the article

Defragment your Windows 10 PC

Alternatively, you can check for the read and write speed of the HDD in task manager. Please follow the steps mentioned below to check the read and write speed of the hard drive:

1. Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc key together on the keyboard.
    2. Click on Performance tab.
    3. Click on Disk 0.
    4. You will find the Read speed and
      Write speed
      at the bottom of the window.

Hope it helps.

Please reply with the status of the issue, we will be glad to help you further.

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Jan 9, 2020
  4. b52gunr Win User

why is a secondary HDD always being read/write when my windows is installed on my SSD?

VirtualBox on SSD or secondary HDD Discussion

It seems UEFI firmware on relatively new computers does not like dual booting on secondary HDD's. So, what are your recommendations? Dual boot on a partition of the SSD, or set up a virtual machine on the secondary HDD?

VirtualBox is the current preference.

<Moved from Windows Insider preview forums>

b52gunr, Jan 9, 2020
  5. b52gunr Win User

VirtualBox on SSD or secondary HDD Discussion

It seems UEFI firmware on relatively new computers does not like dual booting on secondary HDD's. So, what are your recommendations? Dual boot on a partition of the SSD, or set up a virtual machine on the secondary HDD?

VirtualBox is the current preference.

<Moved from Windows Insider preview forums>

b52gunr, Jan 9, 2020
  6. DaveM121 Win User
    SSD VS HDD

Storage wise an SSD is absolutely no different to a HDD - 500GB SSD = 500GB HDD.

The difference between an SSD and an HDD is mainly Read/Write speed - How fast Windows, Applications and Files load

An SSD is much faster than an HDD

Also SSD's do not need defragmenting as they employ a totally different method of storing files and deleting files.

I Hope this Answers your Question!

DaveM121, Jan 9, 2020
  7. DaveM121 Win User
    SSD VS HDD

Storage wise an SSD is absolutely no different to a HDD - 500GB SSD = 500GB HDD.

The difference between an SSD and an HDD is mainly Read/Write speed - How fast Windows, Applications and Files load

An SSD is much faster than an HDD

Also SSD's do not need defragmenting as they employ a totally different method of storing files and deleting files.

I Hope this Answers your Question!

DaveM121, Jan 9, 2020
Thema:

1. why is a secondary HDD always being read/write when my windows is installed on my SSD? - Similar Threads - why secondary HDD

2. my windows is installed on HDD and i have a secondary SSD for gaming, if i installed...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    my windows is installed on HDD and i have a secondary SSD for gaming, if i installed...: my windows is installed on HDD and i have a secondary SSD for gaming, if i installed windows on SSD will that improve my gaming experience?P.S. i don't care about windows booting fast or apps start fast all i care about is gaming performance...
  3. my windows is installed on HDD and i have a secondary SSD for gaming, if i installed...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    my windows is installed on HDD and i have a secondary SSD for gaming, if i installed...: my windows is installed on HDD and i have a secondary SSD for gaming, if i installed windows on SSD will that improve my gaming experience?P.S. i don't care about windows booting fast or apps start fast all i care about is gaming performance...
  4. Why is my HDD always at 100%?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Why is my HDD always at 100%?: [ATTACH] https://preview.redd.it/xylp29ini2x81.png?width=678&format=png&auto=webp&s=7cdd577603baea5a23e48d7412158961050004e0 https://preview.redd.it/zs1u431vi2x81.png?width=257&format=png&auto=webp&s=bc3b82308616d59a4fd1337eb8ebd8b5deb86406 submitted by /u/SpyrexDE...
  5. understanding reading and writing on SSD

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    understanding reading and writing on SSD: Good day. I was wondering if someone could answer the following. Whenever I copy from my C partition on an SSD and paste into a different storage device (HDD, USB flash drive, RAMdisk), am I reading and / or writing on the original SSD? More generally, what actions constitute...
  6. SSD with a HDD installed not being trimmed automatically, why?

SSD with a HDD installed not being trimmed automatically, why?: I apologize if this thread appears a bit odd. I reconstructed this after deciding I shouldn't continue in another thread that is somewhat unrelated. That thread was located here; Disk Optimization Turns Off... Recently, I've noticed that my SSD is not getting trimmed on the...
  7. Can't boot from SSD with my Windows install without secondary HDD

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't boot from SSD with my Windows install without secondary HDD: My PC is a real mix of old and new parts and I currently have a problem where my 2TB mechanical HDD is failing. It is 100% active all the time, but frequently hangs or simply takes forever to browse or transfer any files, so I'm pretty sure it is on the way out. When I remove...
  8. Slow HDD read and write speeds

in Windows 10 Customization
    Slow HDD read and write speeds: Has MS solved the slow HDD read and write problems on Win 10? Is there an official fix for this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/slow-hdd-read-and-write-speeds/ef724e8b-5a8d-46f7-9e41-8073d3692146
  9. SSD read write concern

SSD read write concern: I have a 512gb ssd from Samsung. I sometimes record with FBX game recorder. But then the recordings dont meet my standards and i delete the files. Does this do read writes to my ssd? Will this damage my ssd? the files are a bit big, like 500mb-2gb sometimes. 115631
  10. Windows 10 reason for reading HDD when installed in SSD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 reason for reading HDD when installed in SSD: Hi everyone, I have Windows 10 installed on an SSD drive, everything is installed on the SSD except my games libraries wich are on a HDD. It has the fall update installed (and all updates available also installed). For some reason windows is constantly reading the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. why is my secondary hdd slow while searching through it