Windows 10: Why is a separate partition marked as active instead of the boot drive

Discus and support Why is a separate partition marked as active instead of the boot drive in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have two storage devices in my PC. One is a 128GB SSD which is used as the System disk (where I installed my OS) and the other is a 1 TB HDD which is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by SirDarknight, Jan 14, 2019.

1. Why is a separate partition marked as active instead of the boot drive

I have two storage devices in my PC. One is a 128GB SSD which is used as the System disk (where I installed my OS) and the other is a 1 TB HDD which is used for keeping my usual files, docs, movies etc.

As I have mentioned, Windows 10 is installed in the SSD, I never installed any OS on my HDD. So, why is "E" marked as Active and contains boot files?

Why is a separate partition marked as active instead of the boot drive [​IMG]

Why is a separate partition marked as active instead of the boot drive [​IMG]

:)

SirDarknight, Jan 14, 2019
  2. FX-GMC Win User

Move Win7 64 image from a partition NTFS to a new drive

EDIT: After reading your first post again, is there any reason that you would now need GPT? Are you just trying to move the windows install to a new disk or is there a new motherboard involved?

If you are already booting to an NTFS partition, then it makes me wonder if after copying to the new drive, the partition isn't getting marked as Active.

Following the same steps I posted above for startup repair, you can get to a command prompt and use diskpart to see if this is the case.

Code: In the command prompt: diskpart list disk select disk 0 (disk number may be different if you have other disks connected.) list partition select partition 0 (partition number number may vary, but you want to see the boot partition which is the same as your windows partition according to the screenshot on the OP) detail partition (This should have Active: Yes or No. If it says no, since we have the partition selected, you can just use the following command in diskpart) active[/quote]

FX-GMC, Jan 14, 2019
  3. unmark a partition as "active"

After changing to active partition my computer doesn't boot so what can I do now?

Ayush Chandra, Jan 14, 2019
  4. Why is a separate partition marked as active instead of the boot drive

unmark a partition as "active"

Hello Bob,

Thank you for posting your concern in Microsoft Community and welcome to the Windows 10 Family.

Please be informed that marking a partition as active on a basic disk means that the computer will use the loader (an operating system tool) on that partition to start the operating system. An active partition is a partition on a hard drive set as the bootable
    partition that contains the operating system. So it is not advisable to configure anything related to boot partition.

Please follow the below steps to unmark the partition as active:

• Open command prompt by pressing Windows key + X and selecting “Command prompt admin”.

• Type in diskpart and press Enter.
    • To identify which disk you need to work with. Type the command: list disk.

This will list all the drives connected to your computer.

• To select the disk enter the command: select disk n

"n" will correspond to the disk # for the ssd you are referring to.

• To list all the partitions on the disk enter the command:
      list partition

• To select a partition use: select partition n

Substitute "n" correctly and it will select the particular partitions on that drive.

• To unmark the current partition as active use the command line:
      inactive

• Exit the command prompt using command:
      exit

• Reboot the system to let the changes happen.

Hope the above information is helpful. If you need further assistance, we would be happy to help you.

Thank you.

Sayan_Ghosh, Jan 14, 2019
Thema:

Why is a separate partition marked as active instead of the boot drive

1. Why is a separate partition marked as active instead of the boot drive - Similar Threads - Why separate partition

2. How to fix system and boot partitions on separate drives?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to fix system and boot partitions on separate drives?: Hi, I was following a YouTube guide on moving everything to a new SSD everything being basically just windows and I ran into a problem. I was using MiniTool partition wizard, the tool restarted the PC but about 4 hours later I still had a black screen with white writing...
  3. How to fix system and boot partitions on separate drives?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to fix system and boot partitions on separate drives?: Hi, I was following a YouTube guide on moving everything to a new SSD everything being basically just windows and I ran into a problem. I was using MiniTool partition wizard, the tool restarted the PC but about 4 hours later I still had a black screen with white writing...
  4. How to fix system and boot partitions on separate drives?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Fix for boot partition and system partition on separate drives

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Fix for boot partition and system partition on separate drives: Attempting to upgrade windows 10 to windows 11. When converting c driveoperating system/boot/system drive from MBR to GPT I discovered that my boot partition and system partition are on separate drives, so I cannot convert. To fix this I am installing a new primary boot drive...
  6. Fix for boot partition and system partition on separate drives

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Fix for boot partition and system partition on separate drives: Attempting to upgrade windows 10 to windows 11. When converting c driveoperating system/boot/system drive from MBR to GPT I discovered that my boot partition and system partition are on separate drives, so I cannot convert. To fix this I am installing a new primary boot drive...
  7. Fix for boot partition and system partition on separate drives

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. Marked the wrong partition as active

in Windows 10 Support
    Marked the wrong partition as active: While trying to solve a different problem i followed an article: You can't install Windows on a USB flash drive from Setup, 0xc1900104 In which i went into disk managment and marked a different partition as active which does not have an OS, how can i revert back to the other...
  9. Why is a separate partition marked as active instead of the boot drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Why is a separate partition marked as active instead of the boot drive: I have two storage devices in my PC. One is a 128GB SSD which is used as the System disk (where I installed my OS) and the other is a 1 TB HDD which is used for keeping my usual files, docs, movies etc. As I have mentioned, Windows 10 is installed in the SSD, I never...
  10. Why GPT instead of MBR partitions for boot drive?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Why GPT instead of MBR partitions for boot drive?: My boot drive is a 512 GB SSD and it has MBR partitions. I'm currently running Win 7 Pro 64 on an ASUS motherboard system with a UEFI BIOS. I'm about to upgrade to Win 10. Is there any benefit to redoing the boot drive with GPT partitions as part of that process? 49832

Users found this page by searching for:

1. what does a partition marked as active mean windows 10

2. recovery partition detected as a seprate drive

3. partition marked as system but doesnt have any files

4. windows 10 using hdd boot partition instead of ssd,
  5. system partition and boot partition on seperate hdd problem