Windows 10: Why is chkdsk failing to run properly the first time I execute it?

Discus and support Why is chkdsk failing to run properly the first time I execute it? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; After running system file checker on all the classroom computers in a private school I provide tech support for, I am also running chckdsk /f /r. There... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by SteveTrent, Sep 7, 2019.

1. Why is chkdsk failing to run properly the first time I execute it?

After running system file checker on all the classroom computers in a private school I provide tech support for, I am also running chckdsk /f /r. There are about 25 computers involved, all with Windows 10 installed and with all latest updates from Microsoft. These are older machines with a lot of hours on the hard drives. I have checked the SMART info on all machines and replace the drives that were in failure.

On all but about two of these machines I am finding I have to run chkdsk twice in order to get it to scan correctly. The first time the machine reboots, starts to run the chkdsk scan but immediately runs to 100% complete whereupon it boots back into Windows. When I issue the chkdsk /f /r command again it will reboot and run the full scan in a normal fashion over a period of sever hours. To have to issue the command twice is so frustrating and time consuming. These machines are old take a long time to boot.

Why is this happening?

:)

SteveTrent, Sep 7, 2019

2. running chkdsk in windows 10

I thank you for the suggestion but the chkdsk command still would not execute on the restart.

Thanks for the tenforums link.

Holland1te, Sep 7, 2019
  3. Jelo Sen Win User
    chkdsk c: /F

It might be an error on the drive. We suggests that you follow the troubleshooting steps below:

• Run Disk Cleanup utility to clear your junk files.
    • Open an elevated CMD type sfc /scannow and hit Enter to run the System File Checker.
    • Once the scan is completed, restart your computer. Remember to exit ChkDsk
      during boot.
    • Next, again open CMD as admin type
      Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
      and hit Enter to repair the Windows image.
    • Now see if ChkDsk able to complete the scan.

Note: Before doing the steps, make sure you save a back up of your files.

Let us know how it goes.

Jelo Sen, Sep 7, 2019
  4. Why is chkdsk failing to run properly the first time I execute it?

Why can't I run chkdsk?

Hello Jack,

There is a possibility that you are experiencing this issue due to some problem with the Administrator privileges. For us to effectively assist you, we would like to ask a few questions:

• Could you tell us if you're logged in as an Administrator when you're trying to run chkdsk on your computer?
    • What is the exact error message that you are getting? Kindly send us a screenshot if possible.

Meanwhile, we suggest that you try to disable the third-party antivirus software on your computer. After disabling it, try to run chkdsk and check if the issue persists.

We're looking forward to your response.

Stephanie Sal, Sep 7, 2019
Thema:

Why is chkdsk failing to run properly the first time I execute it?

1. Why is chkdsk failing to run properly the first time I execute it? - Similar Threads - Why chkdsk failing

2. What should I run first? sfc, DISM or chkdsk?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    What should I run first? sfc, DISM or chkdsk?: Ensure the process is clean and perfect, I want to know what I should run first. Is there a correct order?Update: Edited my subject and description to make it neater....
  3. What should I run first? sfc, DISM or chkdsk?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What should I run first? sfc, DISM or chkdsk?: Ensure the process is clean and perfect, I want to know what I should run first. Is there a correct order?Update: Edited my subject and description to make it neater....
  4. What should I run first? sfc, DISM or chkdsk?

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. How many time CHKDSK command is executed after boot?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How many time CHKDSK command is executed after boot?: I have 2 5400RPM HDDs, 1 7200 HDD, and an SSD. I checked my disks with CrystalDiskMark and found out that one of my drive is in "Caution" state. Then I decided to start CHKDSK command via CMD on all of my drives on startup. Due to me having a doubt that I did that correctly,...
  6. How many time CHKDSK command is executed after boot?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How many time CHKDSK command is executed after boot?: I have 2 5400RPM HDDs, 1 7200 HDD, and an SSD. I checked my disks with CrystalDiskMark and found out that one of my drive is in "Caution" state. Then I decided to start CHKDSK command via CMD on all of my drives on startup. Due to me having a doubt that I did that correctly,...
  7. How many time CHKDSK command is executed after boot?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How many time CHKDSK command is executed after boot?: I have 2 5400RPM HDDs, 1 7200 HDD, and an SSD. I checked my disks with CrystalDiskMark and have found out that one of my drive is in "Caution" state. Then I decided to start CHKDSK command on all of my drives on startup. Due to me having a little bit of doubt that I did that...
  8. laptop working properly when i start it for first time.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    laptop working properly when i start it for first time.: hey team when i start my laptop for the first time my laptop didn't work properly like randomly disconnected to wifi, not working microsoft store, unable to use search bar, not opening brower, when i go to setting for update windows it start loading but when i restart my...
  9. Failing to boot first time

in Windows 10 Support
    Failing to boot first time: My Mum's sent me a video of her Windows 10 PC booting and what appears to happen is the first time it loads the blue recovery screen which says "It looks like Windows didn't load correctly" and then she clicks on the left button and it boots fine or sometimes after she types...
  10. chkdsk fails to run

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    chkdsk fails to run: Installed new HDD which I cloned with my old HDD data. Everything seems to function well except now I cannot use chkdsk. I use the admin cmd prompt and order a chkdsk using chkdsk C: /r and then restart the computer. Upon restart the information sentence about hit any key...