Windows 10: WHY is Chrome such a pig these days?

Discus and support WHY is Chrome such a pig these days? in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; I'm posting this in 'general' because I see no evidence that what I've been assessing is 10-specific. The current edition of Google chrome is a PIG on... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by cognus, Oct 28, 2014.

1. cognus Win User

WHY is Chrome such a pig these days?

I'm posting this in 'general' because I see no evidence that what I've been assessing is 10-specific.
    The current edition of Google chrome is a PIG on the very thing you would think it would be top-ranked at: YouTube....

I first noticed this in passing on my everyday driver, the humble but awesome X120E. it has always been amazingly competent with video content even if I were sloppy about leaving things laying around to interfere. Then one day - several days actually - I noticed it really suffering - hitting the ceiling on CPU usage.
    To cut to the chase, Chrome, tested by me on several different machines/configs, windows 7, 8.1, and 10, is the loser when it comes to video efficiency using flash, YouTube.

For Windows 10, my 10-tester is quite humble - an older HP G4-1117dx with 4GB and a 68gb Crucial SSD , its powered by AMD A4-3300m. Keeping everything equivalent, I picked a test-dummy vid that displays a lot of frame content at 720p, and ran the performance mon with it, tracking cpu mostly, also watching memory usage. I have the up-to-date versions of Firefox, Chrome, IE11 embedded with 10.

Using the IE11 embedded currently with the 10 preview [its up to date], IE11 surprised me as being the MOST efficient of the bunch.
    IE11 = ~20-28% CPU utilization
    FFox 33 = ~27-38%
    Chrome = ~40-70%! [spikes for unknown reasons as high as 78%]

Chrome apparently dropped Pepperflash, so it only uses some version of Flash now - I don't know the particulars due to the way it embeds the applet. Further, if the Chrome install gets a lot of use, it apparently gets worse as time goes on. there are a lot of threads on that topic, with the typical suggestion being to nuke or set aside the old default user account profile/database [the folder, basically] and force chrome to create a new one. however, on the test machine it was almost as bad though it has barely been used [I have been using firefox for most tasks] and has virtually nothing accumulated.

anyone else notice this?

:)

cognus, Oct 28, 2014

2. EDGE Microsoft needs a browser that works

That's why smart folks use Firefox and Chrome. I only use Edge on extremely rare occasions. IE11 is better, but not as good as Firefox & Chrome. I agree MS is much more interested in new CRapps and other pig lipstick than they are in fixing bugs in
    the more basic parts of Win 10.

Hula_Baloo, Oct 28, 2014
  3. bask---01 Win User
    Why is the E65 such a disappointment?

I still like my E65 and it is not a HUGE disappointment.

some of you have experienced a lot more problems than I have. I never have the phone in the pouch, always in my trousers and jeans, dropped it a few times and the coating is still OK.

Yes, the firmware will be interesting. And yes it takes long, but I know (from my own work) that releasing new software isn't as easy as we would all like. Ofcourse there have been releases for all other E-series and some N-series (so why not for the E65 we
    all wonder).

Maybe the problems concerning the E65 are a bit harder to cope with and not related to any problems in the other E-series.

Bas

bask---01, Oct 28, 2014
  4. swarfega Win User

I use chrome daily it works for my needs. While I haven't gotten around to testing it in Windows 10 yet, it seems fine in 8.1

swarfega, Nov 2, 2014
  5. cognus Win User
    check it in perfmon whilst driving 1080p video at significant framerates

cognus, Nov 2, 2014
  6. badrobot Win User
    I just abandoned Chrome last week because of the youtube issue. Plus there's too much customisation being added to it I can't catch up and I am losing control of it.

badrobot, Nov 2, 2014
  7. cognus Win User
    that's where i am at this point. and on ios & droids I love dolphin... wish they had a windows port but they're too smart for that!!

i must say the current [think its 33] ffox is very stable and pretty quick on 10... that is, quick for firefox [slow on initial load, quick afterward]

cognus, Nov 2, 2014
  8. WHY is Chrome such a pig these days?

JDobbsy1987, Nov 4, 2014
  9. davehc Win User
    I have Chrome installed as my standby browser. I haven't experience any problems with it. BUT, no add ons

davehc, Nov 4, 2014
  10. cognus Win User
    Unless you're attentive, you won't know what's affecting performance.
    Also, if only used for text lookups, the issue has little effect

cognus, Nov 4, 2014
  11. My regular browser is Chrome, or Firefox, I haven't used IE for years.
    I'm running the Tech Preview as my main OS, since it became available, and it's been great so far. Chrome, as you know, is a whole ecosystem in itself. When I signed into my Google account, all my previous add-ons, my speed dial, everything, just re-installed itself.
    It's been behaving itself for weeks, everything is behaving as expected. The browser functioned exactly as it used to on Windows 7.
    After the latest updates today, it's not playing a lot of websites. Forums, and social networks, seem to have an input problem.
    I type a post in a box on Facebook, and my words just disappear, and then reappear, halfway through a sentence. Very strange, it's unusable.
    Google Plus is glitchy, taking ages to load, or post a photograph.
    I also have Firefox installed, so I resorted to that. Firefox won't let me log in to Gmail, telling me that I can't because I'm blocking cookies.
    I've had a brief check, but I have no adware, or security setting, preventing cookies.

I'm not complaining, because W10 has been immaculate, so far, but I'm having browser issues at the moment. I may have to break the habit of a lifetime, and resort to IE ;-)

johnwillyums, Nov 12, 2014
  12. cognus Win User
    strange world.... now FFox is in the ditch. the latest update 33.1 has produced a storm of criticism. it may be the worst firefox performance I've ever seen, or can recall. pile-on is occurring over in Mozilla support forums. just horrid. I seriously was thinking maybe my brand new ssd had bugs - its that ugly.

so, back to good 'ole IE11 for the moment. its pretty fast in 10, and not too shabby in 7 if one works on it a bit.

sheesh....*Tongue

cognus, Nov 13, 2014
  13. WHY is Chrome such a pig these days?

Further to my above post.
    I've now tried several different browsers. Chrome, Chrome Canary, Firefox, PaleMoon, and Opera.

Both Chrome and Chrome Canary seem to work fine, but both have this scrambled text input, on Facebook, issue.
    Firefox and PaleMoon, will not log into Gmail. The error message suggests I may have cookies blocked, but I haven't.
    Opera works perfectly so far. I've been testing it for about an hour, and so far I'm really impressed.

Hey ho WHY  is Chrome such a pig these days? :)

johnwillyums, Nov 13, 2014
  14. tinmar49 Win User
    I haven't tried Chrome yet for the simple reason that I really resent the stealthy tactics that Google stoop to to get Chrome and their toolbar installed on my pc.

tinmar49, Jan 9, 2015
  15. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

Not wanting to be facetious but the best people to answer that question is GOOGLE. You wouldn't ask Microsoft about Apple's problems or Canon about Nikon cameras. !!!!!

I doubt whether Ms gives a rats you know what's toss about chrome - it's not their product. It's up to GOOGLE to sort out problems (if any) on windows.

I find Chrome OK on a mobile phone but I'm quite OK with IE 11 on Windows. Most of the problems with browser speeds etc are usually down to inefficient coding on the HOST site, how busy the Host site is and your own Internet connection quality and speed.

I find the "Browser wars" over whether xxxx is a few milliseconds faster than yyyy one of the most BORING and pointless topics I've ever seen discussed on the Internet (and I've seen a few in my time).

So long as a browser works is just fine for me -- the only difference isusuallly in the GUI they present to the user and that's got to be a PERSONAL preference. If they are riddled with toolbars and advertisements then that's another reason to avoid them - but that's all in the GUI presented to the user -- choose whatever one (or two or three etc) you like but as far as the OS is concerned it's a POINTLESS topic.

I also think that the wretched things should work straight out of the box without endless plugin searches or mega configuration files (Firefox for example).

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jan 9, 2015
Thema:

1. WHY is Chrome such a pig these days? - Similar Threads - WHY Chrome such

2. why can't download chrome

in Windows 10 Gaming
    why can't download chrome: i can't download google or chrome. edge will not let me https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-cant-download-chrome/874b5513-6fdc-4433-b198-a14877a573a4
  3. why can't download chrome

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    why can't download chrome: i can't download google or chrome. edge will not let me https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-cant-download-chrome/874b5513-6fdc-4433-b198-a14877a573a4
  4. why are microsoft are pig$ for money and say i7-6700k cant run windows 11?!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    why are microsoft are pig$ for money and say i7-6700k cant run windows 11?!: dont give me now stupid exuses. we all know that cpu can run windows 11 without any problem. its strong enought and its good enought.the only reason it "can not" run win 11 is that you want people to buy new pc so you can milk some more $$$$$ out of us!shame shame shame shame...
  5. why are microsoft are pig$ for money and say i7-6700k cant run windows 11?!

why are microsoft are pig$ for money and say i7-6700k cant run windows 11?!: dont give me now stupid exuses. we all know that cpu can run windows 11 without any problem. its strong enought and its good enought.the only reason it "can not" run win 11 is that you want people to buy new pc so you can milk some more $$$$$ out of us!shame shame shame shame...
  6. Discord nitro scam cause he delete it cause he wants all of it pig hog oink pig goes moo

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Discord nitro scam cause he delete it cause he wants all of it pig hog oink pig goes moo: So a person on discord named NotSimcraftLOL#5175 Scammed me on discord and him said its a scam So a guy named Mr. Drax#6174 sent me free nitro and Greedy boy NotSimcraftLOL#5175 the admin of the server deleted it because he says that it a scam and he deleted it it because i...
  7. Discord nitro scam cause he delete it cause he wants all of it pig hog oink pig goes moo

Discord nitro scam cause he delete it cause he wants all of it pig hog oink pig goes moo: So a person on discord named NotSimcraftLOL#5175 Scammed me on discord and him said its a scam So a guy named Mr. Drax#6174 sent me free nitro and Greedy boy NotSimcraftLOL#5175 the admin of the server deleted it because he says that it a scam and he deleted it it because i...
  8. Two days in a row, Chrome quits working?

in Browsers and Email
    Two days in a row, Chrome quits working?: Hi everyone. I just had Chrome quite working again, this is the second time in two days. Yesterday I had the same thing, I reinstalled and it started working again after going through getting all my links back and syncing. Not it has done the same thing again. I have run...
  9. why my laptop getting slow day by day

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    why my laptop getting slow day by day: my laptop getting slow day by day could you help me pls... pls give some solution.... https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/why-my-laptop-getting-slow-day-by-day/33d6070f-26fc-4f4c-bc27-05a0425f11a0
  10. Why my windows 10 is getting slow day by day?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Why my windows 10 is getting slow day by day?: Why my windows 10 is getting slow day by day? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-my-windows-10-is-getting-slow-day-by-day/0e1f8086-e7cf-4612-92f3-14e80b6a5c2a

Users found this page by searching for:

1. why is chrome such a pig