Windows 10: Why is cmd prompt windows product key is different from registry editor BackupProductKey

Discus and support Why is cmd prompt windows product key is different from registry editor BackupProductKey in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; When I find my windows product key with the cmd prompt it is different from the BackupProductKey shown in the registry editor. This computer was... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Rob Perelli-Minetti, Mar 30, 2023.

1. Why is cmd prompt windows product key is different from registry editor BackupProductKey

When I find my windows product key with the cmd prompt it is different from the BackupProductKey shown in the registry editor. This computer was purchased with Win10Pro installed. I need to update windows let it stay at 1511 for years and want to make sure I don't have a problem with the product key should it be required. Thanks!

:)

Rob Perelli-Minetti, Mar 30, 2023

2. CMD Disable, Registry editor disabled windows 10

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft Community and thank you for your interest in Windows.

I suggest you to change the registry value by using a different user account (create one), open a Run window (Windows Logo key+R), type regedit, press Enter and in the left pane navigate to
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System and look for DisableRegedit=1. Change it to 0 (zero), close the registry editor and restart the computer.

Unless you are in a domain where the Administrator has disabled it, this is nearly always caused by malware, so run your ‘anti’ programs.

Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, Mar 30, 2023
  3. SG3105 Win User
    product key for Windows 10

appreciate carlo.

some how i was able to boot the original HD that came with Windows10

i was able to find the product key and it says windows 10 Home activated with a digital license

and i used cmd prompt & registry editor to find Key

both are giving different Product keys.

1. why is like that? which one is correct one?

2. can i use any of these Key on another device in future to install windows 10?

3. can i use this same key to upgrade to Windows latest OS like 11?

i'm Sorry so many questions but appreciate if you can clarify.

SG3105, Mar 30, 2023
  4. Frogger Win User

Why is cmd prompt windows product key is different from registry editor BackupProductKey

Modded Registry. Want Old Back....

did you try this

To restore the registry
    Open Registry Editor.
    Click Options, and then click Print to print these instructions. (If you are using the Help and Support Center, click Print above the topic area.) They will not be available after you shut down your computer in step 2.
    Click Start, and then click Shut Down.
    In the list, click Restart, and then click OK.
    When you see the message Please select the operating system to start, press F8.
    Use the arrow keys to highlight Last Known Good Configuration, and then press ENTER.
    NUM LOCK must be off before the arrow keys on the numeric keypad will function.

Use the arrow keys to highlight an operating system, and then press ENTER.
    Caution

Incorrectly editing the registry may severely damage your system. Before making changes to the registry, you should back up any valued data on your computer.
    Notes

To open Registry Editor, click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
    Choosing Last Known Good Configuration provides a way to recover from problems such as a newly added driver that may be incorrect for your hardware. It does not solve problems caused by corrupted or missing drivers or files.
    When you choose Last Known Good Configuration, Windows restores information in registry key HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet only. Any changes you have made in other registry keys remain.

Frogger, Mar 30, 2023
Thema:

Why is cmd prompt windows product key is different from registry editor BackupProductKey

1. Why is cmd prompt windows product key is different from registry editor BackupProductKey - Similar Threads - Why cmd prompt

2. Why is cmd prompt windows product key is different from registry editor BackupProductKey

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Why is cmd prompt windows product key is different from registry editor BackupProductKey: When I find my windows product key with the cmd prompt it is different from the BackupProductKey shown in the registry editor. This computer was purchased with Win10Pro installed. I need to update windows let it stay at 1511 for years and want to make sure I don't have a...
  3. Why is cmd prompt windows product key is different from registry editor BackupProductKey

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why is cmd prompt windows product key is different from registry editor BackupProductKey: When I find my windows product key with the cmd prompt it is different from the BackupProductKey shown in the registry editor. This computer was purchased with Win10Pro installed. I need to update windows let it stay at 1511 for years and want to make sure I don't have a...
  4. cmd / product key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    cmd / product key: Good afternoon, so I recently bought a laptop and it was my first one so I accidentally reset it which deleted my product key and made me lose access to downloading apps , my cmd, not being able to use my camera, clock, and unable to use zoom properly which was for me , I...
  5. cmd / product key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    cmd / product key: Good afternoon, so I recently bought a laptop and it was my first one so I accidentally reset it which deleted my product key and made me lose access to downloading apps , my cmd, not being able to use my camera, clock, and unable to use zoom properly which was for me , I...
  6. cmd / product key

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
  7. Get windows product key from cmd outside of windows

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Get windows product key from cmd outside of windows: Windows 10 crashed on me as it was installing an update and this seems to have fried the operating system. None of the recovery options I can access will run. I don't really know what to do, but I'd like to at least recover my windows product key incase that gets lost too. I...
  8. Different Product Keys

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Different Product Keys: So I was going to reinstall windows, and decided to get my product key. I got this pc from someone with w10 pro already installed. I go to cmd, and type the text that displays the key, and I get a key. Just to make sure, I do the notepad.vbs script and I get a different key....
  9. Command Prompt and Registry Editor

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Command Prompt and Registry Editor: My Windows PC is showing this problem 1. I typed cmd.exe in the cortana search box. 2. Then when I right-clicked the Command Prompt app and selected "Run as Administrator", it is giving that it is not a verified publisher. Also this problem 1. When I try to run Registry...
  10. Clear Product Key from Registry in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Clear Product Key from Registry in Windows: How to: Clear Product Key from Registry in Windows How to Clear Product Key from Registry in Windows [img] Information When you install and ShowKeyPlus to view your installed product key if lost. However, having your installed product key in the registry could...