Windows 10: Why is Controlled Folder Access (Ransomware Protection) blocking system services and...

Discus and support Why is Controlled Folder Access (Ransomware Protection) blocking system services and... in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; When I was on build 1809 with ransomware protection enabled, I only got alerts for 3rd party programs trying to write to the controlled folders.... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Mean Jim, Sep 1, 2019.

1. Mean Jim Win User

Why is Controlled Folder Access (Ransomware Protection) blocking system services and...

When I was on build 1809 with ransomware protection enabled, I only got alerts for 3rd party programs trying to write to the controlled folders. Friday, Windows updated to 1903, and now I'm getting alerts that it is blocking Windows system files and services from protected folder and memory access.

So far it has blocked the following:

cleanmgr.exe

CompatTelRunner.exeexplorer.exe

msiexec.exe

SearchIndexer.exe
    svchost.exe

WinSAT.exe

WmiPrvSE.exe

Why is it suddenly blocking Windows system processes and services? Until the 1903 update, it never blocked any of these processes. What was a minor annoyance for the extra protection has become a major pain and about to disabled it. Whenever Defender blocks a program from protected folder or memory access, after allowing it I have to restart that program before it can write to the folders. Now that it is blocking system services and processes, they remain blocked until I reboot.

:)

Mean Jim, Sep 1, 2019
  2. DaveM121 Win User

What does "Protected folder access blocked" mean?

Hi Ronaldo

Windows 10 Defender has a new security feature called Controlled Folder Access, that is designed to protect your system against Ransomware attacks

Sometimes it will block an application from accessing your personal folders, if you trust the application in question, you can add it to the list of allowed apps through Controlled Folder Access . . .

Open Windows Defender Security Center

Go to Virus & threat protection - Virus & threat protection settings

Scroll down to Controlled folder access

From there, you can add an app to the list of safe or allowed apps to prevent them from being blocked

Please do not leave Controlled Folder Access turned off permanently

DaveM121, Sep 1, 2019
  3. Eric Ber Win User
    Controlled Folder Access blocked

Hi Aeolus0,

The Controlled Folder Access is an enterprise-class ransomware protection component that was recently added to Windows Defender. When you turn on Controlled folder access, a lot of the folders you use most often will be protected by default. This means that
    content in any of these folders cannot be accessed or changed by any unknown or untrusted apps. Once you add additional folders, they become automatically protected as well. To add protected folders:

• Select Virus & threat protection settings.
    • Under Controlled folder access, select Protected folders.
    • Select Add a protected folder and follow the prompts to add folders.

If you see an App is blocked message when you try to use a familiar app, you can simply unblock the app. If this message displays:

• Write down or take note of the path of the blocked app.
    • Select the message, and then select Add an allowed app.
    • Browse for the program you want to allow access.

As for your query about having no sounds on your computer, it could be caused by an outdated or corrupted audio driver. For us to assist you better, kindly answer the questions below:

• Have you made any changes to your computer prior to this issue?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?
    • Which version and OS build number of Windows 10 is currently installed? To check, press the
      Windows key, type winver, and press the
      Enter
      key.
    • Have you tried to download and install the latest audio driver from the manufacturer's website of your device?

Meanwhile, you can try the steps in this
    link
    to troubleshoot sound issues on Windows 10.

We'll be looking forward to your reply.

Eric Ber, Sep 1, 2019
  4. Why is Controlled Folder Access (Ransomware Protection) blocking system services and...

Jsssssssss, Sep 1, 2019
Thema:

Why is Controlled Folder Access (Ransomware Protection) blocking system services and...

1. Why is Controlled Folder Access (Ransomware Protection) blocking system services and... - Similar Threads - Why Controlled Folder

2. "Protected folder access blocked"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "Protected folder access blocked": Hi everybody, or Hola Todos. Since middle of last year, I have Rcvd a message informing me of a certain "Blocking" <or> "Protected folder access blocked" and I'm wondering if I need to concern myself with that or not? It's happened about two dozen times now; seven times just...
  3. "Protected folder access blocked"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "Protected folder access blocked": Hi everybody, or Hola Todos. Since middle of last year, I have Rcvd a message informing me of a certain "Blocking" <or> "Protected folder access blocked" and I'm wondering if I need to concern myself with that or not? It's happened about two dozen times now; seven times just...
  4. "Protected folder access blocked"

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Windows Security Ransomware Protection Controlled folder access Can't toggle on

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Security Ransomware Protection Controlled folder access Can't toggle on: I recently was looking through my Windows Security and when I opened ransomware protection the toggle was in the off position. I've tried repeatedly clicking on the toggle to turn it on and nothing happens. Is there anything I can do about this or is this normal since I have...
  6. Access to Ransomware Protection blocked

in Windows 10 Customization
    Access to Ransomware Protection blocked: I've seen multiple articles published recently that mention that Microsoft has built in ransomeware protection in Windows 10 and suggest that you can access this protection by specifying "Rasomware Protection" in the search bar. I've done this but when I press enter to access...
  7. Protected folder access blocked

Protected folder access blocked: After updating to the latest version of Windows 10, I got a notification of "protected folder access blocked". I don't know what this means or what I should do....
  8. Controlled Folder Access (Ransomware Protection) in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Controlled Folder Access (Ransomware Protection) in Windows 10: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/TeamsMe [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/gqba9o/controlled_folder_access_ransomware_protection_in/
  9. Ransomware Protection: How to use Controlled folder access?

Ransomware Protection: How to use Controlled folder access?: Nowadays, ransomwares are considered great risks for users. They infect system and encrypt your files and ask you to pay money to gives you the key to decrypt them. Even if you made payment, there is no guarantee to get back all your files and paying them would make...
  10. Protected Folder Access Blocked

Protected Folder Access Blocked: Your administrator has blocked this action. App or process blocked: igxpun.exe. Blocked by: Controlled folder access. Is this the legitimate Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator Driver? Thank you....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. protected memory access blocked