Windows 10: Why is correcting a single character often a maddening experience?

Discus and support Why is correcting a single character often a maddening experience? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; When using my pen as input device I often run into situations where the character recognition is one character off. When that happens this beast often... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by mmo, Dec 25, 2019.

1. MMO
    mmo Win User

Why is correcting a single character often a maddening experience?

When using my pen as input device I often run into situations where the character recognition is one character off. When that happens this beast often turns into a nightmare! Correcting a single wrongly recognized character is very often grotesquely impossible. :-(

I just had the case where if recognized an intended 'n' for a 'f'. I am already puzzled how and why the reco sometimes can be so far off. I mean: an 'n' and an 'f' have about as much similarity as a tree and a car. I then tried to correct (i.e. overwrite) that character. It first replaced it with an 'ö' (german Umlaut-O), then with a 'ß' (sharp s), then with a 't', an 'ü', an 'f' again and so forth. One variant more absurd than the next and absolutely no similarity with what I was inking and also far away from yielding any dictionary word! What's going off in this PoS?

If this reco-dance happens then the best is always to erase the ENTIRE word and rewrite it. That then typically works but it's so non-intuitive! If a recognized word is just off by one character it should also be possible to just correct that single character and one shouldn't have to retype the entire word!

Are these character reco-clowns at MS ever using this themselves?

And - yes - I already trained the character reco multiple times - in English and in German. That's the other annoying part, that the reco can't automatically switch or recognize different languages without *prior* switching. But that's another story...

:)

2. "Chinese Characters" program delaying shutdown - a different approach.

Hi,

Thank you for your response.

• As you have mentioned this happens only in the Admin account, is it local account set as admin account or the Microsoft account?
    I would suggest you to check the all apps list and check if that Chinese character app is present.

After you try the above steps and share us the results what happens we can proceed with the further suggestions.

Please post us back with the results after troubleshooting the above steps and check.

Keep us posted to help you better.

Sachin Venkatesh, Dec 25, 2019
  3. Character Map

Hi Susan,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

To have better clarity on the issue, answer the below listed questions and get back to us.

1. Did you make any changes to the PC prior to this issue?
    2. Does this issue occur on Microsoft Edge, Internet Explorer, or any other browser?
    3. Once the text disappears, are you able to undo that by press the 'Ctrl' key and the 'Z' key from your keyboard?

Meanwhile, try the below troubleshooting steps:

Method 1: Check if your Windows is Up-to-date.

Go to Settings > Update and Security >
    Windows Updates and install all the Windows Updates if there are any.

Method 2: Use a different browser

Use a different browser to access Gmail and see if you are facing the same issue.

Method 3: Adding the characters manually from Character Map.

Step 1: Click on the
    Start Menu and search for Character Map and hit
    Enter.

Step 2: Once the
    Character Map launches, look for the character that you want to add >
    Select that character and click on Copy.

Step 3: Go to the email that
    you want to add the character and paste the character by pressing the ‘Windows’ key and the ‘V’ key from your keyboard and see if the characters are disappearing.

​Hope it helps.

Shafeeq_Khan, Dec 25, 2019
  4. Why is correcting a single character often a maddening experience?

Spelling correction with Swedish on Lumia 800 characters does not replace whole word

Hi,

I have noticed that when I have "swedish" selected as a language, whenever the spell checker corrects with swedish characters (å,ä,ö) in it, depending on how much I have written, one of two things can happen.

1. If the last character entered was a swedish character, only the characters between that character and the last swedish character (or the begnning of the word) will be replaced with the suggestion, and the character last typed will be appended
    at the end

Examples:

Gå -> click "Går" -> Gårå

Snä -> click space, autocorrect "Snö" -> Snöä

Pålö -> click "Påkörd" -> PåPåkördö

Benå -> click 'Benämning' -> Benämningå

2. If the last character entered was not å,ä or ö, only the characters between the last swedish character and the end of the word will be replaced by the suggestion

Examples:

Herrgårds -> click 'Herrgårdsvagn' -> HerrgåHerrgårsdvagn

Går -> click 'Får' -> GåFår

Snör -> click space, autocorrect 'Smör' -> SnöSmör

Not sure if this is a windows phone bug, or a lumia bug, but the behaviour is very consistent. It is also very annoying, since the only way to correct the word is to delete it entirely and retype it without suggestions.

Nehle---01, Dec 25, 2019
Thema:

Why is correcting a single character often a maddening experience?

1. Why is correcting a single character often a maddening experience? - Similar Threads - Why correcting single

2. I often experience blue screens

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    I often experience blue screens: blue screen system service exception,blue screen system service exception,what should i do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-often-experience-blue-screens/9ec7c417-ad71-46f1-94da-2cb32963acbf
  3. I often experience blue screens

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I often experience blue screens: blue screen system service exception,blue screen system service exception,what should i do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-often-experience-blue-screens/9ec7c417-ad71-46f1-94da-2cb32963acbf
  4. I often experience blue screens

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Multiple Diacritics/Character Combining on a Single Character AGAIN

in Windows 10 Customization
    Multiple Diacritics/Character Combining on a Single Character AGAIN: Hello Everyone, I am trying to type a paper in the Arabic Language and I need to put more than one diacritic on a single letter. I have been trying to find a way in Word but it doesn't work. When I tried to do this in Libre Writer it works. Is there a way to make this work...
  6. Multiple Diacritics on a Single Character AGAIN

Multiple Diacritics on a Single Character AGAIN: Hello Everyone, I am trying to type a paper in the Arabic Language and I need to put more than one diacritic on a single letter. I have been trying to find a way in Word but it doesn't work. When I tried to do this in Libre Writer it works. Is there a way to make this work...
  7. Keyboard Not Typing Correct Characters

in Windows 10 Support
    Keyboard Not Typing Correct Characters: My brother has an HP laptop (Model bs057cl) that he hasn't used in about a year. When he boots the computer he's unable to use the keyboard normally. We brought up the onscreen keyboard which, although it works, does not match the normal qwerty keyboard layout. In fact, the...
  8. Chinese characters not displaying correctly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Chinese characters not displaying correctly: We just got a new computer with a fresh Windows 10 installed. When trying to install games from Chinese suppliers, we get the following image: [ATTACH] At first I thought it was a unicode issue but that doesn't seem to be it. Most searches bring me to this link:...
  9. Chinese characters not displaying correctly

Chinese characters not displaying correctly: We just got a new computer with a fresh Windows 10 installed. When trying to install games from Chinese suppliers, we get the following image: [ATTACH] At first I thought it was a unicode issue but that doesn't seem to be it. Most searches bring me to this link:...
  10. Time correct but date often wrong

in Windows 10 Support
    Time correct but date often wrong: I have a brand-new computer with a clean install of Win 10 which I've been using for about 10 days now. While the system time is always correct, every couple of days when I boot the system the date will be off by a day or two, usually ahead. I have reset the date in the BIOS...