Windows 10: Why is Cortana able to launch some applications and not others?

Discus and support Why is Cortana able to launch some applications and not others? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I'm just wondering why Cortana is able to launch, say, clementine music player or Audacity but not say trelby or MultiCommander? Is there any way to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Leo_Grun, Jul 6, 2020.

1. Why is Cortana able to launch some applications and not others?

I'm just wondering why Cortana is able to launch, say, clementine music player or Audacity but not say trelby or MultiCommander? Is there any way to make Cortana aware of additional applications?

submitted by /u/Leo_Grun
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Leo_Grun, Jul 6, 2020

2. Cortana

Hi,

Thank you for posting your question in the Microsoft Community.

Appreciate your efforts to work on this issue.

This issue can occur if some of the system files are not working as expected.

Suggest you to follow the steps from this article to
    troubleshoot Cortana on the PC

Note: Do not go with the ‘Reset PC’ option for now.

Method 1: Follow these steps to disable Cortana:

1. Sign-in to the PC with your Microsoft account.
    2. In the search box at the bottom, type Disable Cortana.
    3. Once the suggestions appear in the list, click Cortana & Search settings.
    4. From the right section of the Settings pane, move the top button to ‘Off’ to disable Cortana from Windows 10.

Method 2: Follow these steps to check if that helps.

1. Launch Cortana from the search bar on the taskbar.
    2. Then, from the left pane click the settings button.
    3. Under "Cortana" (the first option) and slide the pill switch to the ‘Off’ position.

Method 3: Launch the Settings app and click on Privacy. Navigate to Speech, inking, & typing, and click Stop getting to know me. These steps will disable Cortana.

Hope this helps.

Let us know if you got the help you needed.

Regards,

Srimadhwa B

Microsoft Community-Moderator

Srimadhwa_B, Jul 6, 2020
  3. Cortana and launching programs

Hi there!

Try to double check if your Spotify App is installed properly. Try to do these steps to find out:

• Press Windows Key + R button on your keyboard
    • On the text field in the run command type appwiz.cpl
    • You should be able to see Spotify on the list

If your Spotify is not listed there, it can only mean that your Spotify Software has been placed on your PC by copying the whole client from a External Storage.

If your Spotify is listed on the appwiz.cpl . Try to restart your PC and check if Cortana can now launch the app instead of searching the Web.

Michael Sarno, Jul 6, 2020
  4. Why is Cortana able to launch some applications and not others?

Cortana and settings options disappeared

Have you been able to use Cortana before and have you experienced any problems with it then?
    What about trying a system restore?

Also this could be of some use to you: Cortana Search Box Windows 10
    I would particually suggest step 3 and see if the problem still remains with a new user account.

ellellell1, Jul 6, 2020
Thema:

Why is Cortana able to launch some applications and not others?

1. Why is Cortana able to launch some applications and not others? - Similar Threads - Why Cortana able

2. Some applications stop launching.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Some applications stop launching.: At some point about 40% of the applications stopped running. Applications start for about half a second and then shut down immediately. Before that I downloaded win rar, maybe that's the problem but I'm not sure...
  3. Some applications stop launching.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Some applications stop launching.: At some point about 40% of the applications stopped running. Applications start for about half a second and then shut down immediately. Before that I downloaded win rar, maybe that's the problem but I'm not sure...
  4. Able to connect to some websites, but not others

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Able to connect to some websites, but not others: I was trying to use the "Mobile Hotspot" in Windows 10. Upon connecting on another device, I noticed I could only connect to some websites, like microsoft.com, or account.google.com, but not ones like google.com, scratch.mit.edu, speedtest.net, and others.Websites like...
  5. Able to connect to some websites, but not others

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Able to connect to some websites, but not others: I was trying to use the "Mobile Hotspot" in Windows 10. Upon connecting on another device, I noticed I could only connect to some websites, like microsoft.com, or account.google.com, but not ones like google.com, scratch.mit.edu, speedtest.net, and others.Websites like...
  6. Able to connect to some websites, but not others

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. Why are some games launching and other games are NOT launching? - Windows 10 Pro Version...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Why are some games launching and other games are NOT launching? - Windows 10 Pro Version...: I have been enjoying the AMD Radeon Driver 21.6.2 because of support for Vulkan Ray Tracing in Doom Eternal. All was going well Friday night on July 9, 2021 while playing Doom Eternal. Then got off Doom to hangout with some friends on Discord. Then after the Discord hangout,...
  8. some application won't launch at all

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    some application won't launch at all: i have a problem where some of my application like malwarebyte won't open it would open then closes itself without any error message this included msconfig and attempting to run setup to reset the pc will crash the setup app running sfc and dism says everyyhing is fine and...
  9. Cortana is not able to launch applications. Is anyone else facing this problem?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cortana is not able to launch applications. Is anyone else facing this problem?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/S0uvik [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/iaqu4p/cortana_is_not_able_to_launch_applications_is/
  10. Cortana starts some programs, not others?

in Windows 10 Support
    Cortana starts some programs, not others?: Not a huge issue, but I was wondering if there was a way to get Cortana to be more consistent at starting programs? At present she will start some with no problem, but others will either display a Web search page or do nothing? As an example, I use "Cool Reader" to read...