Windows 10: Why is Cortana still running and how do I disable it permanently?

Discus and support Why is Cortana still running and how do I disable it permanently? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; My PC is using Windows 10 Education, which disables most in-built telemetry and data collection. In settings, anything related to Cortana is off.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/VarokSaurfang, Sep 26, 2020.

1. Why is Cortana still running and how do I disable it permanently?

My PC is using Windows 10 Education, which disables most in-built telemetry and data collection. In settings, anything related to Cortana is off. However, Focus Assist in the Action Center uses Cortana, and in Task Manager there is a Cortana process.

Is this to be expected and is there anything else I can do to turn off Cortana?

submitted by /u/VarokSaurfang
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/VarokSaurfang, Sep 26, 2020
  2. Try3 Win User

This is How to permanently Disable Cortana

Having done this last year with no ill-effects, I tried this again on an updated computer [Ver 1703] and renaming the folder has the effect of freezing the Start menu so I had to undo it. Any advice?

Added later - I was able to disable Cortana later on by using the reg edit suggested in the tutorial Enable or Disable Cortana. This method caused no side-effects.

Denis

3. Cortana

Hi,

Thank you for posting your question in the Microsoft Community.

Appreciate your efforts to work on this issue.

This issue can occur if some of the system files are not working as expected.

Suggest you to follow the steps from this article to
    troubleshoot Cortana on the PC

Note: Do not go with the ‘Reset PC’ option for now.

Method 1: Follow these steps to disable Cortana:

1. Sign-in to the PC with your Microsoft account.
    2. In the search box at the bottom, type Disable Cortana.
    3. Once the suggestions appear in the list, click Cortana & Search settings.
    4. From the right section of the Settings pane, move the top button to ‘Off’ to disable Cortana from Windows 10.

Method 2: Follow these steps to check if that helps.

1. Launch Cortana from the search bar on the taskbar.
    2. Then, from the left pane click the settings button.
    3. Under "Cortana" (the first option) and slide the pill switch to the ‘Off’ position.

Method 3: Launch the Settings app and click on Privacy. Navigate to Speech, inking, & typing, and click Stop getting to know me. These steps will disable Cortana.

Hope this helps.

Let us know if you got the help you needed.

Regards,

Srimadhwa B

Microsoft Community-Moderator

Srimadhwa_B, Sep 26, 2020
  4. morlaine Win User

Why is Cortana still running and how do I disable it permanently?

How to Disable Permanently Cortana?

I looked at the URL ( Cortana - Enable or Disable in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums) BEFORE I ever posted my question. I thought I said that, but maybe not. I have wasted so many hours of my life on this that I will never get back. I have a pounding headache and am literally sick of MS fornicating with my computer.

Back to the URL, I can't do option 1, no icon. I tried option 2, turned off the Cortana options in settings and it did not work. I tried the suggestions made by TairikuOkami about taking ownership of certain files and deleting them. Cortana is the demon that will not die.

I want Cortana to disappear from my computer and stop showing up in Task Manager and consuming memory. How hard can that be? Evidently pretty damn hard.

I do appreciate the suggestions but OMG what a mess thanks to MS.

morlaine, Sep 26, 2020
Thema:

Why is Cortana still running and how do I disable it permanently?

1. Why is Cortana still running and how do I disable it permanently? - Similar Threads - Why Cortana still

2. How do I disable Cortana?

in Cortana
    How do I disable Cortana?: The Cortana window keeps popping up saying: Cortana is not available in your region.It's impossible to uninstall, I tried to find a solution on the forums, but can't find anything that works for me.Please help, this is driving me crazy!...
  3. How do I disable Cortana?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I disable Cortana?: The Cortana window keeps popping up saying: Cortana is not available in your region.It's impossible to uninstall, I tried to find a solution on the forums, but can't find anything that works for me.Please help, this is driving me crazy!...
  4. How do I disable Cortana?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How do I disable Cortana?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I disable Cortana?: I just want the search on my new laptop not have the thing running. submitted by /u/Shulk-skywalker [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/gzzv01/how_do_i_disable_cortana/
  6. How do I disable Cortana and still use the search function?

in Cortana
    How do I disable Cortana and still use the search function?: I have no use for Cortana. It is a burden on my system with no benefit for me. How do I disable it and maintain the search function? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-disable-cortana-and-still-use-the-search/6eed2ac0-b8e9-436c-b61d-f725949fb9ef"
  7. How to Disable Permanently Cortana?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to Disable Permanently Cortana?: I have a Toshiba 64-bit laptop running Windows 10 Home. Some time ago, I spent DAYS getting Cortana disabled and turned off on my laptop. And now after this last update, MS in it's infinite stupidity has turned it back on. I've looked at instructions on the internet on how...
  8. This is How to permanently Disable Cortana

in Microsoft Office and 365
    This is How to permanently Disable Cortana: This is how to permanently disable Cortana, first start into safe mode and navigate to C:/Windows/SystemApps/Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy you will need to Take Ownership of the Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy folder and then delete the file SearchUI.exe. If...
  9. Why is the disabled Cortana still running ?

in Windows 10 Support
    Why is the disabled Cortana still running ?: Hi there I have disabled Cortana but it still runs in the background. [img] Anyone know why ? and can it be disabled completely ? zoo 24943
  10. Disabled Windows Search service... Cortana still running?

in Windows 10 Support
    Disabled Windows Search service... Cortana still running?: So I've gotten fed up enough with the terrible windows search system. I went into services.msc and disabled the windows search service; then restarted my computer. However, "Cortana" is still listed in my task manager taking up 50mb of memory. How do I kill Cortana?...