Windows 10: Why is ctfmon.exe using my location?

Discus and support Why is ctfmon.exe using my location? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Every once in a while I see the "location in use" icon on the notification bar, but quickly goes away. I just found a way to see who accessed it, on... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Andrés S, Jul 3, 2019.

1. Andrés S Win User

Why is ctfmon.exe using my location?

Every once in a while I see the "location in use" icon on the notification bar, but quickly goes away.

I just found a way to see who accessed it, on Settings -> Privacy is the offender: ctfmon.exe.

Why on earth is a text-input related piece of software would want to know where I am? Even overall location? Why?

Privacy anyone?

:)

Andrés S, Jul 3, 2019
  2. Xylee Del Win User

ctfmon

Hello,

Ctfmon is the Microsoft process that controls Alternative User Input and the Office Language bar. It’s how you can control the computer via speech or a pen tablet, or using the onscreen keyboard inputs for asian languages. If you are using any of the mentioned
    tasks, you should leave it enabled. Since you've already tried removing it at the task manager, we suggest that you follow the steps below to disable ctfmon.exe:

• Open Settings by clicking the Windows icon.
    • At the Settings window, type in Administrative tools and select it.
    • At the Administrative tools window, click Services.
    • At the services window, look for Touch Keyboard and Handwriting panel service, set this to disabled and stop the service. This will disable the ability to use the onscreen keyboard.

Let us know the results.

Xylee Del, Jul 3, 2019
  3. CloudyYK Win User
    ctfmon

I randomly got ctfmon on my task manager running and i've tried everything to disable it. It is not on my startup for task manager either :/ pls help me remove it

<Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Files, folders, & storage>

CloudyYK, Jul 3, 2019
  4. MT Alex Win User

Deus Ex: HR (Steam)

Go into your steamapps folder, and this is kind of a pain, but find the ACF file for Deus Ex and make sure that the location listed there matches the actual install location. I've had to do this before, which sucks because I have a ton of appmanifest files.

MT Alex, Jul 3, 2019
Thema:

1. Why is ctfmon.exe using my location? - Similar Threads - Why ctfmon exe

2. your location is in use

in Windows 10 Customization
    your location is in use: I just found a white circle on task bar and it popup a message saying 'your location is in use'. is it safe to let windows using my location or a problem? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/your-location-is-in-use/2bc29134-eb1b-4779-993b-af928fd1a6f0
  3. Minecraft Bedrock Edition .exe file location

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Minecraft Bedrock Edition .exe file location: im trying to make a folder that has two .bat files where one launches minecraft java edition and the other launches bedrock edition but i can't find the .exe file for bedrock edition...
  4. CTFMON>EXE is missing how do i fix it my keyboard will not work

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    CTFMON>EXE is missing how do i fix it my keyboard will not work: how do I fix my keyboard is not working web site said to check for CTFMON.exe but I am not finding it under system 32 files https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ctfmonexe-is-missing-how-do-i-fix-it-my-keyboard/b0dd6628-a5b4-4cce-8b99-39f3b4259813
  5. Why is Windows 10 misreporting my location?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Why is Windows 10 misreporting my location?: I'm running Windows 10 Home Single Language 64 bit on my HP laptop (see below screenshot with system config) [ATTACH] I'd purchased my laptop in INDIA and all my regional settings, account addresses, etc. are for INDIA. However I've noticed that many software or websites...
  6. Why my location is ok with localhost but not in web server

Why my location is ok with localhost but not in web server: My website is in Asp.Net and C # using the .NET Framework 4.7. I'm testing your "User Location> Basic User Location" routine from https://bingmapsv8samples.azurewebsites.net/#Basic%20User%20Location The problem is that it works on my PC through localhost but when I upload the...
  7. not able to use MediaCreationTool1809.exe on my Windows 10 1809

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    not able to use MediaCreationTool1809.exe on my Windows 10 1809: hi, i have Windows 10 1809 (10.1.17763.55) installed on my Desctop-PC. it was installed with the Windows version published by Microsoft officially. of that version i used MediaCreationTool1809.exe to do a fresh installation. but by accident i deleted the created Windows...
  8. Using A New .exe For An Application ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Using A New .exe For An Application ?: Hello, Have had somewhat contradictory results with this, so thought I'd just ask: I have an .exe file for an application. A new version has just come out. I know I can delete the old .exe one, and use the new one; no problem. But was wondering: can I just put...
  9. .Exe or .Msc File Location for Network Troubleshooter

.Exe or .Msc File Location for Network Troubleshooter: I've been trying to find a specific file and after numerous unfruitful google and direct system32 searches, I've decided to come here. I'm looking for one specific thing: The name and file location of the file that launches the network troubleshooter in Windows 10. When...
  10. location's frequently in use

in Windows 10 Support
    location's frequently in use: so, the location icon pops up frequently in my system tray area, now I know that means my location's in use, but does it have to pop up sometimes as many as 5 times in about as many minutes? I'm giving real thought to disabling the ruddy thing. 64656