Windows 10: Why is Defender scanning a whole lot more files than usual?

Discus and support Why is Defender scanning a whole lot more files than usual? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I have a quick scan going on right now. It's been about twenty minutes and it's still scanning and it's almost at five million files right now. What's... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by rockfan13, Nov 13, 2020.

1. rockfan13 Win User

Why is Defender scanning a whole lot more files than usual?

I have a quick scan going on right now. It's been about twenty minutes and it's still scanning and it's almost at five million files right now. What's happening? Is this a normal quick scan? Or is it actually doing a full scan instead? 2004.

- - - Updated - - -

I just feel like cancelling the whole thing.

:)

rockfan13, Nov 13, 2020

2. defender scans

Hi Ian,

Thanks for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

This issue might occur if you have set any task scheduler for Windows Defender.

I suggest you to delete the task for Windows defender and check if it helps.

Follow the below steps:

• Search and open Schedule tasks.

• In the left-hand menu, open the Task Scheduler Library, then select
      Microsoft >Windows >Windows Defender.

• Double-click Windows Defender Scheduled Scan.

• Select the Triggers panel, then select Delete.

Hope it helps, reply to us with the status of your issue. We will be happy to assist you.

Santosh_Rai, Nov 13, 2020
  3. avemaria Win User
    right click scan in windows defender?

thanks for that.. i didn't notice the tutorial section :x

I did the suggested registry change and it's now listed on the desktop context menu.. but all this does is ask if I want to open it, update, or start a scan... I was hoping for the option where you right click a specific file and it will have listed 'scan with windows defender' like other antivirus programs have.. MSE had it. I'll keep looking around to see if I can find it in the meantime..

avemaria, Nov 13, 2020
  4. Brian Cab Win User

Windows defender custom scan does not scan external drives

Hi Joe,

to scan external drives using Windows Defender, follow the steps provided below.

• Open Windows Defender.
    • Go to Settings tab.
    • Select the Advanced option.
    • tick the checkbox for Scan removable drives.

Regards.

Brian Cab, Nov 13, 2020
Thema:

1. Why is Defender scanning a whole lot more files than usual? - Similar Threads - Why Defender scanning

2. Windows Defender scans way more files than there are on my drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Defender scans way more files than there are on my drive: Hello, on my drive i have around 350K files according to file explorer but Windows Defender scans around 950K. Also, the amount of files scanned during a full scan seem to fluctuate alot it seems. What could this be?...
  3. Windows Defender scans way more files than there are on my drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Defender scans way more files than there are on my drive: Hello, on my drive i have around 350K files according to file explorer but Windows Defender scans around 950K. Also, the amount of files scanned during a full scan seem to fluctuate alot it seems. What could this be?...
  4. Audio is a lot quieter than usual

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Audio is a lot quieter than usual: I normally use some wired earbuds using the headphone jack on the front of my computer, and they work well.I haven't used my computer for almost a month, but when I got back to it, the same wired headphones suddenly were a lot quieter. Before they sounded loud at about a...
  5. Audio is a lot quieter than usual

Audio is a lot quieter than usual: I normally use some wired earbuds using the headphone jack on the front of my computer, and they work well.I haven't used my computer for almost a month, but when I got back to it, the same wired headphones suddenly were a lot quieter. Before they sounded loud at about a...
  6. Audio is a lot quieter than usual

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. Windows Defender consumes lot of memory than usual - Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Defender consumes lot of memory than usual - Windows 10: I have 16GB of RAM and the service used to take only ~150MB usually without anything configured - stock settings. Now it goes upto 300MB on idle and increases over-time. This is after the recent updates from the start of this year / past month.- Completely re-installed...
  8. Windows Defender consumes lot of memory than usual - Windows 10

Windows Defender consumes lot of memory than usual - Windows 10: I have 16GB of RAM and the service used to take only ~150MB usually without anything configured - stock settings. Now it goes upto 300MB on idle and increases over-time. This is after the recent updates from the start of this year / past month.- Completely re-installed...
  9. Windows Defender consumes lot of memory than usual - Windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  10. Why is my laptop using a lot ram than usual

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Why is my laptop using a lot ram than usual: This is my Task Manager.Each app uses more ram than usual.I don't use any app but why in task manager it uses a lot of ram.I don't know how to fix it pls help me!...