Windows 10: Why is Defrag Trying to Trim a Hard Drive

Discus and support Why is Defrag Trying to Trim a Hard Drive in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I keep getting the error below that the hard drives in my desktop PC cannot be trimmed. The disks are recognised as hard drives and are being defragged... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Steve C, May 4, 2021.

1. Steve C Win User

Why is Defrag Trying to Trim a Hard Drive

I keep getting the error below that the hard drives in my desktop PC cannot be trimmed. The disks are recognised as hard drives and are being defragged on schedule. What's going on and is there a way of resetting defrag to stop this behaviour?

:)

Steve C, May 4, 2021
  2. Steve C Win User

I keep getting the error below that the hard drives in my desktop PC cannot be trimmed. The disks are recognised as hard drives and are being defragged on schedule. What's going on and is there a way of resetting defrag to stop this behaviour?

Why is Defrag Trying to Trim a Hard Drive [​IMG]

Steve C, May 4, 2021
  3. Steve C Win User

Steve C, May 4, 2021
  4. Why is Defrag Trying to Trim a Hard Drive

Mine.

Is it possible to disable the default task and create a custom task of running the following command?

Optimize-Volume -DriveLetter E -Analyze -Verbose

Matthew Wai, May 4, 2021
Thema:

1. Why is Defrag Trying to Trim a Hard Drive - Similar Threads - Why Defrag Trying

2. Windows is Trimming Harddisk instead of Defragmenting.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows is Trimming Harddisk instead of Defragmenting.: Hey tere, today I have opened the disk defragmenter tool and performed defragmentation, and I saw that the windows is trimming the harddisk instead of defragmenting it, which is used by the SSD to trim them. I want to ask that if it is an error or if it is not a problem that...
  3. Windows is Trimming Harddisk instead of Defragmenting.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows is Trimming Harddisk instead of Defragmenting.: Hey tere, today I have opened the disk defragmenter tool and performed defragmentation, and I saw that the windows is trimming the harddisk instead of defragmenting it, which is used by the SSD to trim them. I want to ask that if it is an error or if it is not a problem that...
  4. SSD writing and defrag/trim issue

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    SSD writing and defrag/trim issue: [ATTACH] Recently about 2 weeks ago I bought a 256 GB SSD and did a clean install on it. Is 327 GB of writes is normal? Does the auto optimization play the role here? I read somewhere that Windows actually "trims" not defrags the SSD. One weird thing is the program doesn't...
  5. Hard Drive Defrag . . .

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Hard Drive Defrag . . .: My computer is, a Dell laptop. Running Windows 10 Pro . . . I want, to clean up, my hard drive. I think, it's known as "Defrag"? I'm not, sure why? But, my computer is running very, slowly. I hope, after cleaning up my, hard drive. It, will run faster? I typed into, my...
  6. Windows 10 2004 - Defrag/Trim Bug

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 2004 - Defrag/Trim Bug: Hello everybody, Windows 10 2004 still has the bug, that the data about the time of the last operation and the current status are not saved. In some forums I have read, that therefore the planned optimization should be disabled, otherwise Windows would run it after every...
  7. Defraging a remote hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Defraging a remote hard drive: After optimizing the remote hard drive, I get a prompt saying that it "needs optimization 17% fragmented." https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/defraging-a-remote-hard-drive/3edac645-c25a-467f-aee6-dd82d3dc7f4d
  8. how can defrag hard drive?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    how can defrag hard drive?: need help I don't know how it's done in Windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-defrag-hard-drive/3c6ada84-f066-404b-a7be-0463d568e606
  9. want to Defragment my Hard Drive

want to Defragment my Hard Drive: want to Defragment my Hard Drive https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/want-to-defragment-my-hard-drive/9edb1c7c-1092-4789-84b2-8a1c526cbfcd
  10. What's the trimming phase in Defragment and Optimise Drives?

What's the trimming phase in Defragment and Optimise Drives?: After defragmenting and consolidating (FYI, it's the phase that packs all the files together so it keeps the files from fragmenting), I managed to find a phase called trimming. I left my laptop to sleep while it was defragging (never really a good idea, I suppose). It loves...