Windows 10: Why is disk partitioning taking so long?

Discus and support Why is disk partitioning taking so long? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I am trying to partition my pc's harddsik. It is alerdy split in 2. This is not my main drive, I have a SSD as my C: drive.The disk I am trying to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Radu N1, Mar 28, 2023.

1. Radu N1 Win User

Why is disk partitioning taking so long?

I am trying to partition my pc's harddsik. It is alerdy split in 2. This is not my main drive, I have a SSD as my C: drive.The disk I am trying to partition is 2TB sized, and it is partitioned in two 1TB disks. I want to split my second one into a 600GB one and a 400GB one. When I went to shrink the drive, I told it to shrink it by 600GB. This isn't working. I am just getting the loding cursor when hovering in the Disk Management. I has been like this for a while.Am I doing something wrong? How could I fix this?

:)

Radu N1, Mar 28, 2023
  2. W1zzard Win User

W7 Hard drive partition issue

to get rid of that 100 meg windows partition that setup creates for you on a new install on a blank hdd:

- press shift+f10 when on the partition management screen in setup <-- this opens a command prompt
    - diskpart <-- start the windows command line partition management tool
    - list disk <--- list the installed hdds in this computer for the next step
    - select disk 0 <- might have to replace 0 with the number of the correct disk
    - clean <-- this will erase all data on the disk you selected one step up- dont use the wrong disk!
    - create partition primary <- creates a primary partition taking up all space on the drive, adjust the command if necessary
    - exit, exit to exit diskpart and the command prompt
    - click refresh in partition manager and select your newly created partition and install to that

W1zzard, Mar 28, 2023
  3. Disk management console view is not up-to-date

i dont know how to fix your disk management, but i can fix your partition problems...

open up Command Prompt with admin rights. (Right click, run as admin)

enter in
    DISKPART
    list disk

then find the Disk number for your Raid array... lets call it number 7 ( you can tell what disk is what by the total size)
    type in

Select Disk 7
    List Partition (will give you a list of all the partitions..)
    Select Partition 1 (im assuming you only have 1 partition on Disk 7) repeat this step if you have more partitions.
    ASSIGN

that should get the array up and running ready to use.

EDITED.

any problems, post back ^^

Still EDITING *Stick Out Tongue Why is disk partitioning taking so long? :p

side question, have you tried restarting the PC?

slyfox2151, Mar 28, 2023
  4. Why is disk partitioning taking so long?

Sudden automatic appearance of disk partition on Windows 10

Hi,

Please let us know, if you have made any changes prior to this issue.

I suggest you to remove the partition and check.

To delete an existing partition from Windows 10:

• Follow the instructions from step 1 to 5 from the above section.
    • From the right pane of the Disk Management section, right-click the volume (partition) that you want to delete.
    • From the context menu that appears, click Delete Volume.

Hope this information helps.

Regards,

Guru Kiran

Guru Kiran G, Mar 28, 2023
Thema:

Why is disk partitioning taking so long?

1. Why is disk partitioning taking so long? - Similar Threads - Why disk partitioning

2. Why is disk partitioning taking so long?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why is disk partitioning taking so long?: I am trying to partition my pc's harddsik. It is alerdy split in 2. This is not my main drive, I have a SSD as my C: drive.The disk I am trying to partition is 2TB sized, and it is partitioned in two 1TB disks. I want to split my second one into a 600GB one and a 400GB one....
  3. Why is disk partitioning taking so long?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why is disk partitioning taking so long?: I am trying to partition my pc's harddsik. It is alerdy split in 2. This is not my main drive, I have a SSD as my C: drive.The disk I am trying to partition is 2TB sized, and it is partitioned in two 1TB disks. I want to split my second one into a 600GB one and a 400GB one....
  4. WHY IS WINDOWS GETTING READY TAKING SO LONG?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    WHY IS WINDOWS GETTING READY TAKING SO LONG?: My computer is stuck in Getting Windows Ready. What should I do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-is-windows-getting-ready-taking-so-long/b3434868-0ea7-44e9-a788-c89cd95f1424
  5. Why does windows update take so long?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Why does windows update take so long?: I have a Desktop computer, and on its Hard Drives, I have 3 Operating Sytems, 2 of them are Linux-based and Windows 10 is the third. Today I was on Windows to do a ZOOM meeting, and because Windows is not my daily OS, I went to shut windows and it said it had an update. so I...
  6. Why is the weather taking so long to load?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Why is the weather taking so long to load?: Why is the weather taking so long to load? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-is-the-weather-taking-so-long-to-load/b385727d-d338-4d92-8bfb-aa555fd02704
  7. Why does it take so long to update?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Why does it take so long to update?: I started a Windows update yesterday around 10:00 am Sunday. Let it run till this morning at 7:00 am and it said 3% last night when I went to bed and again 3% when I turned my laptop off. Why so long to update? I could see an hour or so but not close to 24 hours. Is...
  8. Why does install an update take so long

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Why does install an update take so long: On my HP running Windows 10 1903 said I had to restart. I did now it is telling me not to turn off since it is working on updates. It has been at 19% for 1 hours. What is going on? I am on metering wifi and told it not to update. It changes things on its own. I didn't...
  9. Windows update cleanup - why is it taking so long?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows update cleanup - why is it taking so long?: My hard drive space is low right now due to a project, so I decided to gain a bit back by deleting old windows update files. So I went into disk cleanup and selected clean update files, and it's been doing this slowly for over 90 minutes already. It said there was about 30GB...
  10. Why does startup take so long?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Why does startup take so long?: After I turned on my computer I finally saw the clock, after I saw my name and "welcome" without having to actually sign in. But I couldn't do anything for ten minutes. Not even turn off the speaker. Not even get anything to happen by clicking on the start button. Spotify...