Windows 10: Why is drive image larger than C;/ drive ?

Discus and support Why is drive image larger than C;/ drive ? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Thought I'd make a couple different images on my recently built & never used PC. The C: drive is an SSD and the only thing on it is the Windows 10 OS... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Mike100, Jan 5, 2021.

1. Mike100 Win User

Why is drive image larger than C;/ drive ?

Thought I'd make a couple different images on my recently built & never used PC. The C: drive is an SSD and the only thing on it is the Windows 10 OS (vers 1909). For starters I made an image using the Windows 10 image function and used a USB HDD.

Properties show the C:\ with 33.7 GB used and the D:\ with the image with 63,2 GB used. Why is the image so much larger than the original? I thought image files were compressed to save space.

:)

Mike100, Jan 5, 2021
  2. Jacee Win User

C: Drive disk cleanup

I've already done your suggestions....... yep, need a bigger drive for C: suppose!

Jacee, Jan 5, 2021
  3. HairyFool Win User
    Upgrading to larger System C-Drive

You can use the System Image utility to backup the old drive and restore to the new. The main limitation it has is it will not restore to a drive smaller than the original, a problem fairly common for users replacing a larger HDD with a smaller SSD but in
    your case not an issue.

However it will only create a new partition to match the existing partitions on the source drive. 1st off make sure your current C drive is the last partition on the existing disk i.e. no partitions even unlettered are after it, use Disk Manager to verify
    the layout.

Then when you restore go back into Disk Manager and you should find an unallocated space following the C Drive which is the increased disk size. Right click the existing C in the lower pane and select Extend Partition to make the C drive use all the available
    space.

If you have any partition after the C drive then it becomes more complicated and beyond System Image to fix however most drives give you access to free versions of partitioning tools which may be able to resolve the problem. Check the documentation/web site
    for more information.

HairyFool, Jan 5, 2021
  4. Why is drive image larger than C;/ drive ?

C: drive

Hi Viva,

If you recently made some changes on your machine and needs to access
    C: drive
    , you can do it by following the steps below:

• Press Windows key + E.
    • On the left pane, click This PC. It will show you list of different folders. For
      C: drive, it may look like this.

Why is drive image larger than C;/ drive ? 26098bd9-c4a9-4b92-b7a6-d437f0a281ea.jpg

If you have further queries, feel free to reply to this post.

Amylove Loy, Jan 5, 2021
Thema:

Why is drive image larger than C;/ drive ?

1. Why is drive image larger than C;/ drive ? - Similar Threads - Why drive image

2. make c drive larger?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    make c drive larger?: is it possible to extend the space in my c drive? i want to add a game and im 60+ GB short... ive seen videos on youtube where others have been able to extend the drive... then ive seen posts under the videos where the same technique has screwed up their computers,.... is...
  3. make c drive larger?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    make c drive larger?: is it possible to extend the space in my c drive? i want to add a game and im 60+ GB short... ive seen videos on youtube where others have been able to extend the drive... then ive seen posts under the videos where the same technique has screwed up their computers,.... is...
  4. New larger NVME drive is showing up as a C: drive and a D: drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    New larger NVME drive is showing up as a C: drive and a D: drive: I upgraded from a 500gb to a 2tb Nvme M.2 i cloned my 500gb to the 2tb but when installed it its showing up as 2 different drives a C: for what was cloned and a D: with the left over storage how do i get all the memory in the C: and to stop showing up as 2 different drives...
  5. File size larger than physical drive storage

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File size larger than physical drive storage: Can some one please explain this to me. I need to access the photos but windows keeps telling me i don't have enough space. I only have 80Gb drive but the photo folder i am trying to open is showing 8Tb. Can anyone help me fix this without losing the photos. Each...
  6. Why is C Drive not drive "0"

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Why is C Drive not drive "0": My primary drive is a Samsung M970 Pro M.2, Drive C, my secondary drive is a Samsung M860, drive D, and I have a CD drive which is drive E. My question is: Why is Disk Management calling Drive D, Drive "0" and C drive, Drive "1"? I have tried to move around the cables on the...
  7. How to Swap 'C' Drive for a Larger 'C' Drive??

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to Swap 'C' Drive for a Larger 'C' Drive??: I have a Desktop PC with three SSDs for various apps and programs of which one of them is 500Gb which only has Windows 10 installed on it. What's the best way to go about swapping out this 500Gb SSD which is the 'C' Drive' for a larger capacity SSD?? I've got a backup of my...
  8. How to Swap 'C' Drive for a Larger 'C' Drive??

in Windows 10 Support
    How to Swap 'C' Drive for a Larger 'C' Drive??: I have a Desktop PC with three SSDs for various apps and programs of which one of them is 500Gb which only has Windows 10 installed on it. What's the best way to go about swapping out this 500Gb SSD which is the 'C' Drive' for a larger capacity SSD?? I've got a backup of my...
  9. Replace C drive with larger 1.

Replace C drive with larger 1.: My computer is a refurbished Dell Optiplex 9010 that came with the 118GB HdD C-drive that fills up fast when working with graphics. I did a disk image with Macrium ReflectDL, which is stored on (D). What is best way to get the image on (storage D)? Both reside in the same bay...
  10. Replace present C drive with larger 2 Tb drive

Replace present C drive with larger 2 Tb drive: My C drive is only 118 Gb. with 23.8 Gb free space. I have a 2 Tb. external Hard drive that I would like to make my C drive with Macrium Reflect image back-up on the 2Tb disk. Should I proceed with putting the 2 Tb Hd in the place of my existing C drive & boot with the boot...