Windows 10: Why is dwm.exe (desktop window manager) using so much ram?

Discus and support Why is dwm.exe (desktop window manager) using so much ram? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; The only programs I have open are zoom, chrome and discord. I opened task manager to see that dwm.exe was using about 2800 mb of ram. I have 16gb in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Loading_Playz, Mar 14, 2021.

1. Why is dwm.exe (desktop window manager) using so much ram?

The only programs I have open are zoom, chrome and discord. I opened task manager to see that dwm.exe was using about 2800 mb of ram. I have 16gb in total so it wasn't that much of an issue but I think this is out of the ordinary.

submitted by /u/Loading_Playz
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Loading_Playz, Mar 14, 2021
  2. ricardobohner, Mar 14, 2021
  3. BobY5 Win User
    desktop window manager

Desktop Window Manager is not listed under services.msc. How can I get DWM back? Thank you.

BobY5, Mar 14, 2021
  4. Anak Win User

Why is dwm.exe (desktop window manager) using so much ram?

Finding username DWM-1 on the task manager

Hi mik07, Welcome to 10F! *Smile

Out of curiosity I looked at mine and also found a dwm-1 listed under user name:

Why is dwm.exe (desktop window manager) using so much ram? [​IMG]

The next thing I did was run this CMD: C:\Users\(your user name)>tasklist /v in a regular CMD prompt, the /v switch is for verbose, and I came up with:

Why is dwm.exe (desktop window manager) using so much ram? [​IMG]

So I started reading up on this dwm-1 and from what I can tell the desktop windows manager (dwm) has a lot of responsibilities when a computer is being used and it is a way for the dwm to differentiate between the services it provides. DWM.exe is the parent and DWM-1, 2, 3, and so on are the children.

In my case dwm-1 is running the notification window that slides out from the right side of the desktop. From this article:
    It looks like as long as you see local or console in the session name your okay, but if you see remote logon via RDP (Remote Desktop Protocol) you'd better check into that especially if you weren't expecting a remote log-on.

Thema:

Why is dwm.exe (desktop window manager) using so much ram?

1. Why is dwm.exe (desktop window manager) using so much ram? - Similar Threads - Why dwm exe

2. Desktop Window Manager using too much RAM Memory.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Desktop Window Manager using too much RAM Memory.: I have 8Gb of ram in my laptop and for the past few days, Desktop Window Manager has been using more than 500mbs of RAM. I have the latest versions of the display adapters installed and the problem persists. Please help me out and let me know what to do....
  3. dwm exe taking too much ram

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    dwm exe taking too much ram: so, ive had this problem few weeks ago, and it annoys me because i had to restart almost everyday. hope someone could help me https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dwm-exe-taking-too-much-ram/e8a7fb6d-a9c2-4c4a-b2e4-c6a4376104bf
  4. DWM RAM HIGH Desktop Window Manager

DWM RAM HIGH Desktop Window Manager: Hi, recently I have noticed that the memory usage is large for DWM on my lenovo legion gaming laptop. It could have used a large amount prior to me noticing it as I haven't really ever checked the task manager. It goes up to 250MB. Also just to note that the laptop won't have...
  5. Why is my Desktop Window Manager dwm using so much memory?

Why is my Desktop Window Manager dwm using so much memory?: [ATTACH] Why does this happen and how do I fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-is-my-desktop-window-manager-dwm-using-so-much/404d4ebd-517d-4f00-bd62-97ae7e4c9a17
  6. Why is YouTube using so much RAM?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Why is YouTube using so much RAM?: I am watching videos right now. I have my task manager up and once I use the search page, my memory usage shoots up at least ten percent if not more. Apparently nobody else is having this problem since I asked this question multiple times before in the YouTube sub with no...
  7. dwm using too much RAM

in Windows 10 Customization
    dwm using too much RAM: My dwm.exe is using more than 1.5 gigs of my RAM at times when I have 3 windows open. I7-9750H 8GB 2666mhz RAM in single channel How can I decrease it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dwm-using-too-much-ram/15cc45dd-0b8d-46a1-bad5-fd966aa635d0
  8. Apps uses so much RAM

Apps uses so much RAM: Before i run "Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool", all of the processes use 50% of a 4gb RAM, but after running the "Memory Diagnostic Tool" chrome uses so much ram more than before, and also i think that other apps slightly increased their RAM usage. anybody can help me with...
  9. Why the Desktop Window Manager is using too much RAM ? Nothing is running in background.

Why the Desktop Window Manager is using too much RAM ? Nothing is running in background.: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/iamparth25 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/jzgqt0/why_the_desktop_window_manager_is_using_too_much/
  10. Why Windows processes are using so much RAM

Why Windows processes are using so much RAM: My laptop has 16 GB of 3200 ddr4 RAM, but after letting it idle for about an hour the RAM usage goes straight up to 99% with only edge open. I checked my system and everything is up to date and the Task manager is saying I have 15.4 GB of available RAM. Is there anything that...