Windows 10: why is encrypt a folder grayed out?

Discus and support why is encrypt a folder grayed out? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi all im tryint to protect a folder and the encrypt option is grayed out. why? this version of windows is home for some reason even though i changed... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Tydfil, Feb 17, 2021.

1. Tydfil Win User

why is encrypt a folder grayed out?

Hi all

im tryint to protect a folder and the encrypt option is grayed out. why? this version of windows is home for some reason even though i changed the key to my pro OME, and the version did not change so thats a different issue i need to talk to ms about, and its got the latest update on it.

i have tried regedit. services and cmd and still it is grayed out.

any ideas? or am i going to have to buy a new version of win 10?

Thanks

Tyd. :

:)

Tydfil, Feb 17, 2021

2. Folder Encryption.

Hello Microsoft Community,

I want to encrypt a folder on my computer, but i am finding it impossible to do so.

I first went to the folder, and selected, Properties/General/Advanced, but the option to encrypt the folder was grayed out.

I then looked on the internet for a solution and found this: Run/regedit/HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem/NtfsDisableEncryption.
    It`s value was already set to O.

Another option was this: Command Prompt/Administrator/fsutil behavior set disableencryption 0.
    It did not require a reboot, so i tried again, but it was still grayed out. I followed the latter instructions again, but then did a reboot. The option to encrypt was still grayed out.

Can anyone please tell me what is going on, and why i cannot encrypt this folder, and after the steps above, what else can i do to encrypt this folder.

Thank you.

chrisforre, Feb 17, 2021
  3. Encrypting a folder

Hello Bill,

To encrypt a folder in Windows 10 Home, follow these steps:

• Right-click the folder you want to encrypt and click Properties.
    • On the General tab, click Advanced.
    • Under Compress or Encrypt attributes, click Encrypt contents to secure data.
    • Click OK then Apply to save the changes.

We're just here if you need further help.

Devlin Sco, Feb 17, 2021
  4. why is encrypt a folder grayed out?

Can't encrypt or password protect folders?

Hi,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. I understand the inconvenience you faced.
    I will certainly help you with this.

The information which you have provided is not enough for us to determine the issue. Please provide us more information.

• Are you logging-in using Administrator User account?
    • Is this issue specific to any particular folder or persist in all the folders?

Encrypting File System (EFS) is a feature of Windows that you can use to store information on your hard disk in an encrypted format. Encryption is the strongest protection that Windows provides to help you keep your information secure. I suggest you to try
    log-in through other Administrator account and perform the below given steps to encrypt the folder and check if it works:

How to encrypt a file

• Right-click (or tap and hold) a file or folder and select Properties.
    • Select the Advanced... button and select the Encrypt contents to secure data check box.
    • Select OK to close the Advanced Attributes window, select
      Apply, and then select OK.

Please post back with the results and the information asked, we will be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Parth P Patel, Feb 17, 2021
Thema:

why is encrypt a folder grayed out?

1. why is encrypt a folder grayed out? - Similar Threads - why encrypt folder

2. Encrypt contents to secure data grayed out

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Encrypt contents to secure data grayed out: I'm trying to encrypt a folder with confidential files in it but it's grayed out. This option is right clicking on the folder >> Advanced >> very last option "Encrypt contents to secure dataWhat I've tried:1 Went into regkey >> and set the boolean value from 0 to 1 for...
  3. Encrypt contents to secure data grayed out

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Encrypt contents to secure data grayed out: I'm trying to encrypt a folder with confidential files in it but it's grayed out. This option is right clicking on the folder >> Advanced >> very last option "Encrypt contents to secure dataWhat I've tried:1 Went into regkey >> and set the boolean value from 0 to 1 for...
  4. Encrypt contents to secure data grayed out

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Encrypt content to secure data grayed out winn11!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Encrypt content to secure data grayed out winn11!: hi i think the topic says it all , Encrypt content to secure data grayed out , i just need to use this feature to secure one of my folder and make a password for that without having a need of installing a 3rd party application! any idea how can i encrypt a folder or make a...
  6. Encrypt content to secure data grayed out winn11!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Encrypt content to secure data grayed out winn11!: hi i think the topic says it all , Encrypt content to secure data grayed out , i just need to use this feature to secure one of my folder and make a password for that without having a need of installing a 3rd party application! any idea how can i encrypt a folder or make a...
  7. why the encrypt contents to secure data grayed out,

in Windows 10 Customization
    why the encrypt contents to secure data grayed out,: had tried : registry / services both ways but still not working . Windows 10 home, version 20H2 for 64 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-the-encrypt-contents-to-secure-data-grayed-out/489657b0-621f-41eb-9a91-3066296bdc7f
  8. Preffered DNS Encryption Grayed Out

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Preffered DNS Encryption Grayed Out: [ATTACH] https://preview.redd.it/ntut68svl9m61.png?width=506&format=png&auto=webp&s=02407cc32fbf0546b2e7a45b0473b2a7be389576 Does anybody can help me with this? The dropdown for preffered DNS encryption is grayed out and there's warning that say "Some of these settings...
  9. Cannot encrypt contents to secure data grayed out

Cannot encrypt contents to secure data grayed out: Hi Was wondering if I could get some help with the Cannot encrypt contents to secure data which is grayed out. In a folder with my data. I'm running Windows 10 thank you. 99197
  10. Win Defender is on but grayed out. Why?

Win Defender is on but grayed out. Why?: Hey all, Windows Defender shows being on but it's grayed out. I can't change it, and the downloadable .reg file to turn it on or off does nothing. I run AVG antivirus, and I tried turning it off to see if it was getting in the way...didn't help. This is Windows 10...