Windows 10: Why is Ethernet connecting via my guest network?

Discus and support Why is Ethernet connecting via my guest network? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Win 10 home, 64-bit on HP Laptop. just upgraded from Win 8.1. I have a 2.4MHz Network with a Guest account. My network shows up in wifi as eg.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by ashleyg, Jul 30, 2015.

1. ashleyg Win User

Why is Ethernet connecting via my guest network?

Win 10 home, 64-bit on HP Laptop. just upgraded from Win 8.1.

I have a 2.4MHz Network with a Guest account.
    My network shows up in wifi as eg. ssidname-2G and ssidname-2G-guest. I can log in and use either of these connections to successfully connect to the Internet. No issues there.

My Ethernet NW adapter (when in use) always shows as being connected via the ssidname-2G-guest connection. This worries me as the guest connections as I understand it are inhibited from accessing certain system functions.

Can I change the connection Ethernet connects on to ssidname-2g ?

I don't believe the W10 upgrade created this situation- I think it was probably always like that.

I don't recall specifically assigning it to the guest account and am worried it may mean I am not getting access to full system functions.

Appreciate any help. Thanks.

:)

ashleyg, Jul 30, 2015

2. Ethernet always connects to guest network

Hello. I am having an issue with my computer's internet connection. My computer is hardwired via Powerline and Ethernet, and there is another computer that is hardwired into the router, and that computer connects to the main network. However, when I am
    hardwired via Powerline and Ethernet, my computer automatically connects to the guest network instead of the main network. Is there anything I can do to fix it? Thanks.

GenBaconator, Jul 30, 2015
  3. Ethernet always connects to guest network

#1: It doesn't look like I am connected to a domain. I will put a screenshot of my system (I blacked out my System ID and PC Name for protection)

#2: I'm not getting any error. It's just that my Desktop PC is connected to the router via Powerline and Ethernet and I want it to connect to the main network, but it connects to the guest network instead, and I cannot change it because it is hardwired.

UPDATE: I have tried connecting my Laptop via Ethernet to my router and it connects to the main network, which is what I want it to, but when I connect my Desktop to the router via Powerline and Ethernet, it connects to the guest network, and because it
    is hardwired, I cannot change it manually to the main network. My guess is it has something to do with My Desktop PC or the Powerline configuration.

Why is Ethernet connecting via my guest network? [​IMG]

GenBaconator, Jul 30, 2015
  4. ashleyg Win User

Looks like it may be a nothing.. I turned off that Guest network (which is a wireless network) in my router and my Ethernet still connects to the internet and works correctly.

For some odd reason, it seems my Ethernet adapter just decided to use that name.

All very confusing *Sad

ashleyg, Jul 30, 2015
Thema:

1. Why is Ethernet connecting via my guest network? - Similar Threads - Why Ethernet connecting

2. Unidentified network, No internet via Ethernet

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unidentified network, No internet via Ethernet: Hi, I recently turned on my pc after coming back from university and found there was no internet when there had been even that morning. I have tried diagnosing the issue and get the error "Ethernet doesn't have a valid IP configuration". To fix this I've tried resetting and...
  3. Only connect via ethernet

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Only connect via ethernet: I have a windows 8 pro or 10 pro dell optiplex 9010 all in one and it only connects via Ethernet cable, i have been told to try a wifi adapter and will try that but i wanted to know if there was any other solutions...
  4. Only connect via ethernet

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Only connect via ethernet: I have a windows 8 pro or 10 pro dell optiplex 9010 all in one and it only connects via Ethernet cable, i have been told to try a wifi adapter and will try that but i wanted to know if there was any other solutions...
  5. Ethernet network connection

Ethernet network connection: I have desktop computers, windows 10 pro and windows 10 home. Both have file sharing enabled but unable to share public folders. Got a message saying can't get access, check antivirus programme....
  6. Network Status states not connected to any network, despite being connected via ethernet,...

Network Status states not connected to any network, despite being connected via ethernet,...: For the past 6 months, I have not had access to the Microsoft Store, the Xbox App or any other Microsoft apps that require the internet. My computer is on the internet and browsing/gaming via Steam works fine - however I cannot game with any of the current Microsoft Store...
  7. Network -- two computers connected via ethernet

Network -- two computers connected via ethernet: One office, HP, other office Dell. These two computers are connected via ethernet. As of this latest upgrade, the HP can access the Dell, but I (Dell) cannot access the HP. Under "Microsoft account, Your devices" both computers are shown. Drivers are updated. I have changed...
  8. connect to internet via ethernet and wifi but to network only on wifi

connect to internet via ethernet and wifi but to network only on wifi: Hello. I have three Dell XPS PCs connected via a Verizon Actiontec router to each other and to the internet, all running Windows 10 (two preinstalled, one upgraded from Windows 7). All connect fine to the internet via Ethernet and wifi, but they can only see/connect to each...
  9. Slow Connecting via Ethernet?

Slow Connecting via Ethernet?: I have an unusual issue that seems to have just started occurring over the past month. My i-7 desktop with 16 gb RAM is connected to my router via an Ethernet cable. Connection speed (upload and download) is 25-30 Mbs. Have Windows 10 Anniversary Edition fully updated. If...
  10. Help with Network Sharing via Ethernet

Help with Network Sharing via Ethernet: Hi, I'm having problems with trying to share my Wi-Fi connection to another device via Ethernet. When I plug the cord in it says, "Unidentifiable network" and "no access type" If I run the troubleshooter, it says, "One or more network protocols are missing on this computer"...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. ethernet connecting to guest network

2. why does my ethernet adapter show connected to guest network?

3. windows 10 ethernet connects to guest network

4. ethernet always connects to guest network