Windows 10: Why is ethernet connection set to "public network" in control panel

Discus and support Why is ethernet connection set to "public network" in control panel in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Windows 10 (home computer). Why is my ethernet connection set to "public network" and not "private network"? I noticed in my firewall settings it say... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by eeps24, Jan 10, 2018.

1. eeps24 Win User

Why is ethernet connection set to "public network" in control panel

Windows 10 (home computer). Why is my ethernet connection set to "public network" and not "private network"? I noticed in my firewall settings it say public was connected and not private. Should I be worried and should I make it private?

Why is ethernet connection set to "public network" in control panel [​IMG]

:)

eeps24, Jan 10, 2018
  2. PadreKing Win User

Remove Public Network form Windows 10 My internet connection speed is now 43 KB

I got nothing but Control Panel Home

Change adapter setings

change advance sharing settings

home group

infared

internet options

Windows Firewall

Network 3 is set to Public network

access type internet

connections Ethernet

Clicking on the only things blue is Ethernet and that gives

Ethernet Status

THERE IS NOTHING TO CLICK ON TO SELECT WORK, HOME OR PUBLIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NOW SINCE NOVEMBER LAST YEAR THIS PC HAS ALWAYS BEEN ON WORK NETWORK! TODAY IT IS NOT!

AND YES IT DOWNLOAD AN UPDATE AFTER INITIALLY COMPLAINING! AND I AM STILL SCREWED OVER!

MY HOME NETWORK IS SECURIED WITH A INDEPENDENT FIREWALL! IT IS PRIVATE! IT IS ALSO MY WORK NETWORK! IT IS PRIVATE!

PadreKing, Jan 10, 2018
  3. Network Profile Windows 10

what do you change under advanced network ?? can't see anything in windows 10 pro that relates to changing from public to private. ??

Mary LouLuther, Jan 10, 2018
  4. Tony K Win User

Hi there. Yes, make it private. It may have changed with a feature update.

Open Settings app > Type > Network > Network Status > Change connection properties > Select Private

Tony K, Jan 10, 2018
  5. roy111 Win User
    It probably is counter intuitive but Public network means infact that you are "more protected", and it refers to the kind of network you are connected to, so if you are in a public network (like a free wifi) you sould use "public network" settings; if you use your own network (your private network) you can use "private network" settings, maybe to share data with another device in you private network.

Network experts, am i right?

roy111, Jan 10, 2018
  6. eeps24 Win User
    thanks micro$oft. *Confused

eeps24, Jan 11, 2018
  7. Barman58 Win User
    It makes an immense amount of sense, if you are going to set a default security level, to set it to the most protected.

A "public" network due to it's normally "open" nature needs to be fully tied down without any of the sharing that would be acceptable in a private network.
    A work or other Business network has much greater intrinsic security as it is, (or should be), designed, implemented and managed by professionals

A home private network will be somewhere between the two extremes

Barman58, Jan 11, 2018
  8. roy111 Win User

You are perfectly right Sir, i think however there is a "comunication failure" *Smile what would you think if I say to you:

"This message is public", that everybody can read it possibly.

roy111, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Why is ethernet connection set to "public network" in control panel - Similar Threads - Why ethernet connection

2. Network Adapters Appear in Control Panel but Not in Settings

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Network Adapters Appear in Control Panel but Not in Settings: I am running Windows 11 23H2 on a Lenovo Think Pad X390.I can see all my Newtork Adapters in Control Panel >> Network and Sharing Center >> Change Adapter SettingsBut they do not appear in Settings >> Network and internet >> Advanced network settings >> Network adaptersBoth...
  3. Network Adapters Appear in Control Panel but Not in Settings

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Network Adapters Appear in Control Panel but Not in Settings: I am running Windows 11 23H2 on a Lenovo Think Pad X390.I can see all my Newtork Adapters in Control Panel >> Network and Sharing Center >> Change Adapter SettingsBut they do not appear in Settings >> Network and internet >> Advanced network settings >> Network adaptersBoth...
  4. No Network Connection, Ethernet Controller and Network Controller were uninstalled, need help

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No Network Connection, Ethernet Controller and Network Controller were uninstalled, need help: Hi, apparently while I was trying to delete some drivers and install them again, I accidentally uninstalled the Ethernet Controller and the Network Controller drivers in the process.Now, I don't have any access to the internet.Unfortunately, I also don't have a USB Drive.I...
  5. No Network Connection, Ethernet Controller and Network Controller were uninstalled, need help

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    No Network Connection, Ethernet Controller and Network Controller were uninstalled, need help: Hi, apparently while I was trying to delete some drivers and install them again, I accidentally uninstalled the Ethernet Controller and the Network Controller drivers in the process.Now, I don't have any access to the internet.Unfortunately, I also don't have a USB Drive.I...
  6. sleep switches ethernet connection to public!!!

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    sleep switches ethernet connection to public!!!: Every time the computer goes to "sleep" and I wake it up, the ethernet connection gets changed to "public" instead of "private" so the internet connection will not connect. If I run the homegroup trouble shooter, the setting gets changed back to private and the internet...
  7. My Internet connection disappeared. Only Ethernet Public Network

My Internet connection disappeared. Only Ethernet Public Network: I've spent days on this problem and even bought a new router. "No Internet access" is all I get. Can anyone give me some ideas of how to fix this?...
  8. No Private/Public switch for Ethernet connection

No Private/Public switch for Ethernet connection: Hello, Where is the Public/Private switch has gone for Ethernet connection? I need to switch my ethernet connection from public to private. I have connected two PCs using ethernet cross-over cable Thanks Windows 10 Pro 1909 18363.592 [ATTACH]...
  9. Control Panel AND Settings

in Windows 10 Customization
    Control Panel AND Settings: Why do we find two possibilities to change settings, Control Panel and Settings. They don't cover eachother as far as I know. Why not bring them together? It would be much less confusing in my opinion....
  10. Open Network Connections from Win+X to Control Panel or Settings

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Open Network Connections from Win+X to Control Panel or Settings: How to: Open Network Connections from Win+X to Control Panel or Settings How to Change Network Connections in Win+X to Open from Control Panel or Settings in Windows 10 The Win+X Quick Link menu is a pop-up menu from the Start button that includes shortcuts of common...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. why is control panel ethernet setting public