Windows 10: Why is explorer.exe connecting to various URLs?

Discus and support Why is explorer.exe connecting to various URLs? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Windows 10, upgraded from Windows 7 Professional, 64bit. When I boot up my laptop, I notice that explorer.exe tried to connect to the internet to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by johnes, Aug 16, 2015.

1. johnes Win User

Why is explorer.exe connecting to various URLs?

Windows 10, upgraded from Windows 7 Professional, 64bit.

When I boot up my laptop, I notice that explorer.exe tried to connect to the internet to various URLs:

I looked in the startup tab to see if there's anything in there that would want to be connecting to these and I can't see anythgin that stands out. How can I determine what is causing this?

The first 2 URLs appear to be akamai, but stumped as to why this is happening.

:)

johnes, Aug 16, 2015

2. More detailed info on what the processes asking for internet connection do

I'm very restrictive when it comes to allowing internet access to various processes (in principle I allow it on need-to-have basis), so I'd like to know what these processes are all about, and why do they often want to connect to the internet:

• wermgr.exe (particularly demanding)
    • runtimebroker.exe
    • browser_broker.exe
    • dashost.exe
    • backgroundtaskhost.exe
    • taskhostw.exe
    • werfault.exe
    • wwahost.exe
    • settingsynchost.exe
    • systemsettingsadminflows.exe
    • wsqmcons.exe
    • SIHclient.exe
    • compattelrunner.exe
    • searchui.exe (even though I've disabled Cortana or limited desktop search to local only)
    • installagent.exe
    Also, why does the default browser have two processes: microsoftedge.exe and microsoftedgecp.exe?

And why does explorer.exe want to connect to the internet before I even start to do anything?

Anubis2000, Aug 16, 2015
  3. After Windows 10 1511 upgrade - pop up notifications freeze on screen

Me too! Surface Pro 4. Updated to Anniversary Update a few days ago and various hang ups like this have started.

Windows key seems to force the explorer.exe to restart.

pmocoaches, Aug 16, 2015
  4. XweAponX Win User

Akamai is a service that some makers use to download software and updates into your system, HP uses it. It's part of the Download Manager that HP uses, Dell uses it too. Maybe Apple as well. It won't load anything dangerous. Other manufacturers might use it too.

XweAponX, Aug 17, 2015
  5. johnes Win User
    OK... but wonder why it's explorer.exe that is making the call. That just seemed weird.

johnes, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Why is explorer.exe connecting to various URLs? - Similar Threads - Why explorer exe

2. Sharepoint url connection in Power Apps

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sharepoint url connection in Power Apps: Hey Mates....,I created a app in Power Apps, while connecting data sources through sharepoint it is asking for sharepoint url where can I find that url and how to connect .Any suggestions and further process guide is well appreciated .Thanks in Advance....
  3. Sharepoint url connection in Power Apps

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sharepoint url connection in Power Apps: Hey Mates....,I created a app in Power Apps, while connecting data sources through sharepoint it is asking for sharepoint url where can I find that url and how to connect .Any suggestions and further process guide is well appreciated .Thanks in Advance....
  4. How to block an application or EXE to open any URL

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to block an application or EXE to open any URL: Hey,I am having an issue using a program. I cant show the name of that. But Whenever I close that program it sends an open link request to my default browser. I want to stop that from happening. Please give some idea of how to stop an app to send open link requests. If there...
  5. How to block an application or EXE to open any URL

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to block an application or EXE to open any URL: Hey,I am having an issue using a program. I cant show the name of that. But Whenever I close that program it sends an open link request to my default browser. I want to stop that from happening. Please give some idea of how to stop an app to send open link requests. If there...
  6. How to block an application or EXE to open any URL

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. Why isn't file explorer not opening .exe's?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Why isn't file explorer not opening .exe's?: When i try to open any exe files on explorer it does the busy cursor then it doesn't open it? any fixes? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-isnt-file-explorer-not-opening-exes/6a803796-da43-4ab8-b50e-887d4de66ee1
  8. Copy URL from a .exe Web App

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Copy URL from a .exe Web App: I have a .exe Web App and I want to copy a URL from it but it isn't allowing me to do that. Please help. submitted by /u/Background_Screen497 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/kxwnen/copy_url_from_a_exe_web_app/
  9. Explorer,EXE

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Explorer,EXE: Please help me find a solution on this message; 'The group or resource is not in the correct state to perform the requested operation' Hoping someone has a simple solution, Thanks...
  10. Various W10 explorer menu issues

in Windows 10 Support
    Various W10 explorer menu issues: Hello, Since my recent switch from W7 to W10 several issues spoil the progress. The first installation was a total mess, the second is lots better but still has some issues, which all seem related to the Windows Explorer Main menu. I put them all here, in one post. If it is...
Tags: