Windows 10: Why is File Explorer like this? The navigation tab is gone.

Discus and support Why is File Explorer like this? The navigation tab is gone. in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; [ATTACH] submitted by /u/kolbyng [link] [comments]... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/kolbyng, Oct 8, 2020.

1. Why is File Explorer like this? The navigation tab is gone.

/u/kolbyng, Oct 8, 2020

2. Not able to open sub-folders from navigation pane in File explorer.

Hi,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. We will assist you in resolving the issue.

Before assisting further, I would like to ask you few questions:

• Under which drive are you not able to view the sub folders?
    • Are you not able to expand the options from navigation pane of the File explorer?

This seems to be a temporary issue. Sometimes disabling and enabling some of the options will fix the issue.

Follow the steps below and check if the issue is resolved.

• Open File explorer by pressing Windows key + E keys on the keyboard.
    • Click on View tab located at the top of the window.
    • Click on Navigation pane and uncheck Navigation pane option.
    • Close the window, follow the above steps from a to
      c
      , only this time check the option Navigation pane and check if the changes are effective.

Write back to us for further assistance, we will be happy to assist.

Thank you.

Likhitha V, Oct 8, 2020
  3. Why Can't I see the navigation Pane in File Explorer?

Hi Jainam,

I am sorry to know that you are facing issues with Windows 10.

I suggest you to reset Windows explorer and check the behavior.

Please follow the steps:

• Right click on the task Bar and select Task Manager.

• Select Processes tab.

• Choose windows explorer and right click on it.

• Select end task

• Click on file menu and select run new task.

• Type explorer.exe

• Click on ok.
    Hope this helps in resolving the issue with Windows Explorer. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Regards,

Syed Abdul Jabbar, Oct 8, 2020
  4. Phil D Win User

Why is File Explorer like this? The navigation tab is gone.

File Explorer Navigation Pane Default Icons Have Changed

Hello! First time posting here.

I asked this question about a week ago on the HP community, and although a suggestion was offered, the problem persists.

I cannot give an exact date, but at some point my File Explorer Navigation Pane Icons changed from the default:

Why is File Explorer like this? The navigation tab is gone. [​IMG]

to this:

Why is File Explorer like this? The navigation tab is gone. [​IMG]

Notice they are folder icons with the unique icon picture 'overlay'

Brief history:
    • I have had my HP Spectre x360 15 (4K touch display) for about 6 weeks.
    • Initial file transfer was done using Windows (7) Easy Transfer (migwiz) which I have used on other machines without incident. Using the advanced selection; no settings were transferred, just Documents, Pictures, Music, Video.
    • I do not use any outside themes; just experimented a few times using the built in HP themes.
    • I have gone so far as to try overriding the current icons using the registry modifications mentioned in this Ten Forums post: Change Icons of Folders in This PC in Windows 10
    • When I tried the suggestions in Option One, the only change which occurred was that the unique icon picture was removed and only the plain folder icon remained. Yet the registry entries outlined in Option 2 “Change Icons of Folders in This PC for All Users” all appear to be correct.
    • There are no “exotic” programs on the computer – just Office 365, Adobe Photoshop/Premiere Elements, Bootstrap Studio, Inkscape, etc.
    Purchased at the same time was an HP Envy x360 laptop which is almost identical in specifications and installed programs except it has a regular Full HD touch screen (1920x1080). The Navigation Pane icons there are the expected 'default' as shown in the second screenshot.

Any ideas what may have caused this and any suggestions how to get the default icons back?

Phil D, Oct 8, 2020
Thema:

Why is File Explorer like this? The navigation tab is gone.

1. Why is File Explorer like this? The navigation tab is gone. - Similar Threads - Why File Explorer

2. Navigation dropdown list in File Explorer is gone, can I get it back?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Navigation dropdown list in File Explorer is gone, can I get it back?: Since the latest update to File Explorer in Windows 11, the small down arrow that shows navigation history is gone. I found this incredibly useful but have been unable to find a way to put it back. Is it possible?This is what I used to see captured from a YouTube video....
  3. Navigation dropdown list in File Explorer is gone, can I get it back?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Navigation dropdown list in File Explorer is gone, can I get it back?: Since the latest update to File Explorer in Windows 11, the small down arrow that shows navigation history is gone. I found this incredibly useful but have been unable to find a way to put it back. Is it possible?This is what I used to see captured from a YouTube video....
  4. Why Tabs do not work in file explorer.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why Tabs do not work in file explorer.: I cannot get tabs to show in explorer. I am on the latest version of windows. I've tried vive I've run scannow, stopped and started loads of services. Basaically, I have followed every suggestion that I can find. Windows update says I am up to date. I've tried to manually run...
  5. Why Tabs do not work in file explorer.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why Tabs do not work in file explorer.: I cannot get tabs to show in explorer. I am on the latest version of windows. I've tried vive I've run scannow, stopped and started loads of services. Basaically, I have followed every suggestion that I can find. Windows update says I am up to date. I've tried to manually run...
  6. FILE EXPLORER NAVIGATION ERROR

in Windows 10 Customization
    FILE EXPLORER NAVIGATION ERROR: Please see the navigation view it shows different see the file, edit, view and tools and things below, please help in this. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-navigation-error/323c7206-f6a9-45d7-afd5-559e899d0372
  7. Why file explorer doesn't have tabs ?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Why file explorer doesn't have tabs ?: i am struggling switching between files. everyone need tabs submitted by /u/cycadah [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/k7mfhu/why_file_explorer_doesnt_have_tabs/
  8. Explorer - Left tab gone?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Explorer - Left tab gone?: Hey, as you can see on the picture the left tab has disappeared in the explorer, how do I get it back? ^^ [ATTACH] Explorer - Linker Reiter weg?
  9. File explorer navigation

in Windows 10 Support
    File explorer navigation: Hi, Id just like some feedback from other users on how you close File Explorer down when you've finished using it. When you have finished accessing a file or folder in File Explorer when you close it you'll see that the file is still selected (highlighted in blue). At that...
  10. File Explorer GONE

in Windows 10 Customization
    File Explorer GONE: So I was just trying to delete some stuff, then suddenly my computer crashed. When I reopened it, and logged in, there was just a blank screen. I opened Task Manager, then found out File Explorer was not there. I tried running it from Task Manager, but it says the file can't...