Windows 10: Why is File Explorer Search so dang awful???

Discus and support Why is File Explorer Search so dang awful??? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; What should be a simple search in a single folder takes 20-30 minutes. What should be a simple filename search is now running into hours. File... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Navy User, Dec 1, 2020.

1. Navy User Win User

Why is File Explorer Search so dang awful???

What should be a simple search in a single folder takes 20-30 minutes. What should be a simple filename search is now running into hours. File Explorer Search has been broken for a long time in multiple iterations of Windows. PLEASE FIX IT or go back to using one of the older, simpler versions that actually worked!

:)

Navy User, Dec 1, 2020

2. File Explorer Search Not Working

I am trying to search in File Explorer (Windows Explorer, My Computer) and it will not find anything. I can copy text from a name in the list and paste it in the search box and it still finds nothing. I have looked at the suggestions that have been posted and nothing I find that is relative to this works. Anyone have any suggestions? I am running Win 10 Pro on an I3 coustom desktop computer.

Maestro2711, Dec 1, 2020
  3. setting default view for Winodws Explorer Search Reasults

Thank you for the detailed response. To change the search result's view from content to list, we suggest following the steps below:

• Open the File Explorer and try to search for files.
    • In the toolbar, open the View tab and click List
      to change the view.
    • Once changed, close the File Explorer.
    • Open the File Explorer again and try to search to see if the setting has been retained.

After performing the steps above, reply back to us so we can provide additional help.

Jennifer Cha, Dec 1, 2020
  4. Nikhar_K Win User

Search for Missing files in File Explorer

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you are looking for a file named “Class” with the length of the file. However, currently File Explorer doesn’t have the option to search the files using the length.

You can follow the steps mentioned below to search for a file in File Explorer using the Size, Kind of file and other options.

1. Press and hold Windows key + E to open
      File Explorer.
    2. Click on This PC on the left pane.
    3. Press F3 key to open Search options.
    4. You can select the Size,
      Kind
      of file and other options and then, search for the file.

Hope it helps.

Please reply with the status of the issue, we will be glad to help you further.

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Dec 1, 2020
Thema:

1. Why is File Explorer Search so dang awful??? - Similar Threads - Why File Explorer

2. Why is file explorer so slow?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why is file explorer so slow?: Regardless of what i search for, explorer takes a century, I searched for 'certificate' and get a looooooooooooooong list of irrelevant results. "Certificate" may appear in the 2,019,923,447th level of the file's properties. The green indicator rushes through the scroll arrow...
  3. Why is file explorer so slow

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Why is file explorer so slow: This isn't your ordinary dumb person not nowing how storage and windows works, I'm just wondering, recently I've been having hdd problems and am going to replace soon, but today, it just won't detect at all. I left my pc on overnight to 'fix' my E drive but it only went up to...
  4. Why my Explorer looks so awful?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why my Explorer looks so awful?: I already had this trouble before, and just formatting my computer solved it. Today, I received a Intel Display update, after it got installed, the Tips app opened and said "You are in tablet mode!", suddently, after restarting my notebook that doesn't have touch interactions...
  5. Why my Explorer looks so awful?

Why my Explorer looks so awful?: I already had this trouble before, and just formatting my computer solved it. Today, I received a Intel Display update, after it got installed, the Tips app opened and said "You are in tablet mode!", suddently, after restarting my notebook that doesn't have touch interactions...
  6. Why is download integrity so awful?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why is download integrity so awful?: I just got a new laptop and download integrity is off the charts terrible. It was terrible in Windows 10 and just as terrible in Windows 11. I can't even download a near 2TB file from my cloud storage. The speed is amazingly slow with a wired connection and then the download...
  7. Why is download integrity so awful?

Why is download integrity so awful?: I just got a new laptop and download integrity is off the charts terrible. It was terrible in Windows 10 and just as terrible in Windows 11. I can't even download a near 2TB file from my cloud storage. The speed is amazingly slow with a wired connection and then the download...
  8. DANG!!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DANG!!: Dude ,I went to the Minecraft site using fully updated windows 11 on surface laptop 4 and it will install but not work and it will tell me the Check Your Account error. I LITTERLY NEED HELP!!...
  9. Why is windows text to speech so awful?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Why is windows text to speech so awful?: I use in browser text to speech program for listening to things because of bad eyesight and sometimes it is just nice to lay back and listen or do other stuff while listening. Recently kindle browser version blocked text to speech programs. So I tried using their app that has...
  10. Why is windows Hello so awful?

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Why is windows Hello so awful?: I bought a Microsoft Surface Book 2 when they first came out and initially had no problems with windows Hello. However, it stopped working over 6 months ago and none of the suggested fixes work. Windows hello thinks that my camera is not compatible - it is. All windows...