Windows 10: Why is file explorer so slow?

Discus and support Why is file explorer so slow? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Regardless of what i search for, explorer takes a century, I searched for 'certificate' and get a looooooooooooooong list of irrelevant results.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Ques Tion, Jan 31, 2023.

1. Ques Tion Win User

Why is file explorer so slow?

Regardless of what i search for, explorer takes a century, I searched for 'certificate' and get a looooooooooooooong list of irrelevant results. "Certificate" may appear in the 2,019,923,447th level of the file's properties. The green indicator rushes through the scroll arrow then hits the x on the far right, and sits there forever. Is the search done? If not, when will it be done? The other irritating thing is that once I decide to open one of the found records and it's the wrong one, the OS closes the search, forcing me to start all over again. Am I doing something wrong? Is not switchin

:)

Ques Tion, Jan 31, 2023

2. Windows 10 file explorer very slow (working on it...) issue

This seemed to help. Time will tell. It certainly is more helpful and practical than the suggestion to end toe Explorer task and start a new one.

SamMcSpadden, Jan 31, 2023
  3. razghost Win User
    File explorer slow/Never loading solution

Ok so since upgrading from 7 to 10 file explorer has been a absolute nightmare! Everything was either incredibly slow, didn't happen or only partially load. After enduring this to this day I have decided enough is enough and started diagnosing by limiting the startup services using MSconfig.

After going through enabling startup services groups at the time and restarting the computer everytime! Eventually I found the service that was causing the problems with file explorer. The service is called Windows search and once disabled it restored functionality to file explorer. The search function in file explorer works but the search in the taskbar doesn't.

Step by step guide:
    1. Hold Win+r to open run
    2. Type msconfig and hit ok or enter
    3. Click Services
    4. Navigate to Windows search (you can sort the list in descending alphabetical order)
    5. Uncheck tickbox
    6. Click apply then ok
    7. Select to restart now

Hope this works for you.

razghost, Jan 31, 2023
  4. Clint Win User

File explorer slow/Never loading solution

Thank you.

Clint, Jan 31, 2023
Thema:

1. Why is file explorer so slow? - Similar Threads - Why file explorer

2. why onedrive opening file in file explorer so slow and why is there no solution from...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    why onedrive opening file in file explorer so slow and why is there no solution from...: Why when opening a Onedrive file in Explorer so slow and why is there no solution from Microsoft as it is clearly an issue as there are lots of other posts but no fixes?When I open a file in Onedrive using Word, Excel, etc. it opens in seconds. Using Windows Explorer it takes...
  3. why onedrive opening file in file explorer so slow and why is there no solution from...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    why onedrive opening file in file explorer so slow and why is there no solution from...: Why when opening a Onedrive file in Explorer so slow and why is there no solution from Microsoft as it is clearly an issue as there are lots of other posts but no fixes?When I open a file in Onedrive using Word, Excel, etc. it opens in seconds. Using Windows Explorer it takes...
  4. Why is file explorer so slow?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why is file explorer so slow?: Regardless of what i search for, explorer takes a century, I searched for 'certificate' and get a looooooooooooooong list of irrelevant results. "Certificate" may appear in the 2,019,923,447th level of the file's properties. The green indicator rushes through the scroll arrow...
  5. Why is file explorer so slow

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why is file explorer so slow: This isn't your ordinary dumb person not nowing how storage and windows works, I'm just wondering, recently I've been having hdd problems and am going to replace soon, but today, it just won't detect at all. I left my pc on overnight to 'fix' my E drive but it only went up to...
  6. Why is file explorer so slow

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why is file explorer so slow: This isn't your ordinary dumb person not nowing how storage and windows works, I'm just wondering, recently I've been having hdd problems and am going to replace soon, but today, it just won't detect at all. I left my pc on overnight to 'fix' my E drive but it only went up to...
  7. Why is file explorer so slow

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  8. Why is my files explorer so slow?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Why is my files explorer so slow?: Why is my files explorer so slow? Sometimes when I try to delete a file a green bar up top shows up and it would just stay there for a long time. Sometimes, it would say that the program is not responding and the software would turn to a white tint. Other times, I can't even...
  9. why explorer is so slow?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    why explorer is so slow?: Hello, please do u have any idea why the "explorer" search tool is slow. I tried every tutorial available on youtube and google but still the same problem on it. The folder has 33Gb of videos and whenever I type to search for a certain video it takes more than 5 minutes to...
  10. Why is access to files in Explorer so horrifically slow?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Why is access to files in Explorer so horrifically slow?: This is sadly a topic I've seen complained about many How is it that the world's best (supposedly) OS, windows 10, can't manage to let me open a folder of music files and like click on "album" to list files by album without making me wait literally 5 to 10 minutes for that...