Windows 10: Why is hard drive light flashing constantly

Discus and support Why is hard drive light flashing constantly in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Why is hard drive light flashing constantly yet Task Manager reports 0% disk use. Sometime File Explorer freezes and reports not responding and if I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by NormanFarrer, Feb 29, 2020.

1. Why is hard drive light flashing constantly

Why is hard drive light flashing constantly yet Task Manager reports 0% disk use. Sometime File Explorer freezes and reports not responding and if I try to shut down it doesn't yet doesn't say anything is preventing shutdown. I usually have to hold POWER button till it shuts down and is ok after restart. I have my suspicions it is File Explorer causing the issue but it doesn't do it every time.

Windows 10 fully updated.

Another thing I have noticed is that Lightroom causes the HD light to flash constantly if open, even if I'm not doing anything in LR at the time.

:)

NormanFarrer, Feb 29, 2020

2. My hard drive light continuously flashes as if it's searching

hard drive light flashes continuously like it's searching for something

franksoudek, Feb 29, 2020
  3. Bobg75 Win User
    Hard drive light flashing constantly,but the symbols on the bottom right are missing and also cannot connect to the internet.

Original Title: Windows 10 causing heartache

So I updated to w10 from w7 (which was working fine). Now at least once a week and sometimes more when I switch on there in nothing, not even a blue screeen but the light for the hard drive keeps flashing. If I leave it flashing for an hour or more a W10
    screen appears but none of the programs will activate. So I restart and after an hour or so with the hard drive light flashing constantly the desktop appears but the symbols on the bottom right are missing and I cannot connect to the internet. So I restart
    again and again and again but every time something else is missing. Eventually everything seems OK but it will not connect to the internet. So I leave it for an hour or so with the hard drive light flashing then switch off completely. Usually when I switch
    back on everything works but sometimes it need another restart. Today It took over 6 hours to get everything working normally.

The device is a Dell Aspire with 4 Gb ram and it has never caused any worries.

What the f... has W10 done to my laptop an dhow do I cure it?

Bobg75, Feb 29, 2020
  4. compiler7 Win User

Why is hard drive light flashing constantly

flash drive -- no light

I bought a new Sandisk Cruzer 64 gb flash drive. But the little light on it does not work (in any USB port on any computer). When I google this, all the articles talk about a failed flash drive. But the drive works perfectly. All my computers recognize
    the drive and files move smoothly between these devices. Any ideas how to get the little flash drive light working?

Mel

compiler7, Feb 29, 2020
Thema:

Why is hard drive light flashing constantly

1. Why is hard drive light flashing constantly - Similar Threads - Why hard drive

2. Flash Drive Refreshing Constantly

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Flash Drive Refreshing Constantly: I'm working on a flash drive that contains a lot of music. The artists names are missing so I'm trying to edit the drive to include the artist name. When I get part way down the list, and while I'm working at editing the artist, the flash drive refreshes to the top item. It...
  3. Using a flash-drive or external hard drive

Using a flash-drive or external hard drive: Recently every time I try to use a flash-drive or an external hard drive, I get this message. I don't have a problem using the logitech wireless adaptor for my mouse/keyboard but when I insert a flash-drive or external hard drive this pops up. [ATTACH]...
  4. My hard drive light continuously flashes as if it's searching

My hard drive light continuously flashes as if it's searching: hard drive light flashes continuously like it's searching for something https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-hard-drive-light-continuously-flashes-as-if-its/d83d46e1-1b46-48e4-9952-49825b7689d1
  5. flash drive -- no light

flash drive -- no light: I bought a new Sandisk Cruzer 64 gb flash drive. But the little light on it does not work (in any USB port on any computer). When I google this, all the articles talk about a failed flash drive. But the drive works perfectly. All my computers recognize the drive and files...
  6. Ejecting Hard Drives and Flash Drives .....

Ejecting Hard Drives and Flash Drives .....: Is it safe to keep hard drives and flash drives connected all the time (Windows 10), even when shutting down everyday ... ? Or should I use the Eject feature to be safe ... ? 128834
  7. Hard Drive access light stays on

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Hard Drive access light stays on: HDD light stays on windows and all programs are very slow https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hard-drive-access-light-stays-on/d872e741-5690-4163-8bfe-e4757bc52f4e
  8. red light flashing

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    red light flashing: my husband has a black screen all of a sudden and a red light flashing on front of laptop https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/red-light-flashing/76112f15-faa6-4a6f-ab0a-247c91d16125
  9. Hard Drive Constantly Running

Hard Drive Constantly Running: I've had a couple or hard drive failures in recent years and I can't help but think its caused by the drive simply wearing out prematurely as a result of constantly clicking on/off. Even in the middle of night it doesn't stop. I've read that its the result of "systems...
  10. Flash drives recognized but external hard drives are not

Flash drives recognized but external hard drives are not: My Windows 10 Home laptop will recognize all of my flash drives but won't recognize any of my external hard drives. They all use to show up but now they aren't. The hard drives show up in disk manager but won't show up in file explorer. I hooked them up to other laptops &...