Windows 10: Why is IE (sometimes) launched although it is not my default browser?

Discus and support Why is IE (sometimes) launched although it is not my default browser? in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; Out of curiosity .. I have set a different browser as default. Sometimes, specifically when called on from within an application (e.g. check for... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by tfwul, Jan 17, 2019.

1. tfwul Win User

Why is IE (sometimes) launched although it is not my default browser?

Out of curiosity ..
    I have set a different browser as default.

Sometimes, specifically when called on from within an application (e.g. check for updates)
    Internet Explorer is launched, although another browser has been configured to be the default.

How come?
    Is it the application that specifically calls on IE instead of the default browser?

Thanks.

:)

tfwul, Jan 17, 2019

2. Unable to set default browser

• Does this issue happens while you try to set other browser as default too or is it specific to specific browser?

Any browser.

Already did the steps you suggested. It's some kind of bug where it's impossible to set a default browser at all.

I heard elsewhere from one other user
    that it seems to be a problem with upgrading to 10 on the SP3. Sounds very specifc.

guustavooo, Jan 17, 2019
  3. Changing default browser to IE and wifi issues

Hi Ed,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps.

• In desktop search, type default app settings and select the result.

• Under Web browser, click the current browser (EDGE).

• Choose Internet Explorer and set it as
      default.

Hope it helps.

SujataMoktan, Jan 17, 2019
  4. Why is IE (sometimes) launched although it is not my default browser?

Unable to set default browser

Hi,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. I understand the inconvenience you are facing. I will certainly help you with this.

The information which you have provided is not enough for us to determine the issue. Please provide us more information.

• Does this issue happens while you try to set other browser as default too or is it specific to specific browser?

To set Internet Explorer/Edge as a default browser, I suggest you to follow the below given steps:

• Press Windows key and type Default Program in search and hit enter.
    • Select "Set your default programs"
    • Click on “Internet Explorer" or “Edge”.
    • Select "Set this program as default” and Click OK.

Please post back with the results and the information asked, we will be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Parth P Patel, Jan 17, 2019
Thema:

Why is IE (sometimes) launched although it is not my default browser?

1. Why is IE (sometimes) launched although it is not my default browser? - Similar Threads - Why sometimes launched

2. Why does Microsoft Edge launch when Chrome is my default browser?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why does Microsoft Edge launch when Chrome is my default browser?: I am using Windows 11 and have Chrome configured to handle all available file types. Microsoft Edge still launches from the lock screen and from other places without my consent. How do you stop this frustrating behavior? Isn't this illegal?...
  3. Why does Microsoft Edge launch when Chrome is my default browser?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why does Microsoft Edge launch when Chrome is my default browser?: I am using Windows 11 and have Chrome configured to handle all available file types. Microsoft Edge still launches from the lock screen and from other places without my consent. How do you stop this frustrating behavior? Isn't this illegal?...
  4. getting error in IE browser while launching url

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    getting error in IE browser while launching url: getting error in IE browser while launching urlCan’t connect securely to this page https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/getting-error-in-ie-browser-while-launching-url/161a92c8-0a0e-4f6e-936f-d84829af385f
  5. Cannot set IE as a default browser

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot set IE as a default browser: I want to have IE as a default browser. I am trying to set it using Chrome. I do it in the following way: select Internet Options, then Programs but the Programs tab disappears after that. I uninstalled Internet Explorer and reinstalled it again but nothing has changed...
  6. Making IE 11 the default browser

in Browsers and Email
    Making IE 11 the default browser: Our company still use IE 11 for many things and I was looking for a way to make it the default browser, anybody got some good tips on how to do this? many thx *Biggrin 125823
  7. Making IE the default browser via the registry or script

in Browsers and Email
    Making IE the default browser via the registry or script: Hi, Is there a way to automate changing the default browser from Edge to IE. We are still dependent on IE and can not deploy W10 with Edge as the default. Thanks for any help you can provide. 28822
  8. Seamonkey is my default browser, but IE opens through Outlook

in Browsers and Email
    Seamonkey is my default browser, but IE opens through Outlook: Hi, I have made Seamonkey my default browser. When I click on a link in outlook, IE opens and I do not seem to find a setting to stop outlook doing that. Very annoying. Richard 19838
  9. URL link opens in IE although Firefox is my default - why?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    URL link opens in IE although Firefox is my default - why?: Haven't used my Win 10 Pro 64-bit much yet. But just noticed a problem. I have installed a program called HippoEdit, which is an advanced text editor for creating and editing code. (I'm not a coder -- I'm just starting to learn VBA for Word, and this program HippoEdit was...
  10. How to reset IE as default browser instead of Edge

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to reset IE as default browser instead of Edge: Hi there I can't use EDGE as my default browser as I have a few media servers and as has been pointed out that as EDGE is a universal app addresses like 127.0.0.1:8000 (i.e localhost type stuff) are no longer addressable. I need these types of addresses to use the web...